Breaking-in/Tuning new Dolmar 7300???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennG

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just purchased 2 new saws ,Dolmar 7300 and 6400. I put on a 22'" bar and sharp chain on the 7300 and went out to the wood pile to test one of them. The saw started right up and seemed smooth. But the saw does not seem to develop full RPM or power. Its 30 degress F and 600 feet altitude here. I made 10 cuts in a 18" silver maple and it was slooooowwwww( my 026 would totally smoke this saw). I had to lift up on the handle to keep from bogging the saw. THe chain is loose enough and its oiling properly. I ran the saw for 10 minutes and about a half tank of gas. Do I need to make carb adjustments ? Advice appreciated, Thanks I`ll mess with the 6400 tomorow and post results.

Glenn

Last edited:
GlennG said:
.........the saw does not seem to develop full RPM or power. Its 30 degress F and 600 feet altitude here. I made 10 cuts in a 18" silver maple and it was slooooowwwww( my 026 would totally smoke this saw). I had to lift up on the handle to keep from bogging the saw. THe chain is loose enough and its oiling properly. I ran the saw for 10 minutes and about a half tank of gas. Do I need to make carb adjustments ?

No, all 7300s run like this. You should send those saws to me and I will send you a couple of 026s in exchange because I feel your pain.:D

Do you know how to make carb adjustments? You should find some good reading on this site.

Russ

jokers said:
Do you know how to make carb adjustments?

Russ

In theory yes but I don`t know enough to set it up perfectly. Rich Hoffman is close by and offered to help me dial it in. I may try to lean it out slightly tomorow but I will let Rich take care of it when we can gtg.

Thanks
Glenn

PS You better hold on to the 026`s or I`d feel like I was taking advantage of you;)

Hey Rich

I ran the 6400 today with an 18" bar and chain. Its perfect, great power and very smooth to operate. I like this saw vey much.

The 7300 with a 22" bar is better with the "H" screw turned in. But with only 1/2 turn of available adjustment the "sweet spot" is out of reach. You`ll have to work some magic on this one. I`m thinking this is the saw I`ll try some muffler mods, since I got to take it apart to get the carb right.

Glenn

GlennG said:
Hey Rich

I ran the 6400 today with an 18" bar and chain. Its perfect, great power and very smooth to operate. I like this saw vey much.

The 7300 with a 22" bar is better with the "H" screw turned in. But with only 1/2 turn of available adjustment the "sweet spot" is out of reach. You`ll have to work some magic on this one. I`m thinking this is the saw I`ll try some muffler mods, since I got to take it apart to get the carb right.

Glenn

No problem!!!

I thought the saw was running too rich.

We will hook up during my week off between the holidays!

rahtreelimbs said:
No problem!!!

I thought the saw was running too rich.
I don`t really know what its doing to be honest. I do know that the 6400 runs way better so somethings not right.The 7300 did seem to wake up when I turned the H screw in and with some additional run time it seemed to wake up even more. Then I started running out of wood and had about 50 "pizza slices" on the ground. I`ll have more wood tomorow.

Glenn

Back