Bringing back a Homelite 4-20 clearing bar saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
MVC-001S_3.JPG

This is my One Grandpa's saw. He had bought it from my other Grandpa who was a Homelite dealer in the late 40's so it's a double sided memory saw. Time to fix it up.

MVC-002S_3.JPG

This was why my grandpa stopped using it in the 70's. The sprocket had broke and they were not available. Internet now makes it possible so I finally found one and ordered it.

MVC-003S_3.JPG

Did a quick compression test and it has nearly 120 psi so it should be okay. Luckily it wasn't frozen and I put some oil in at first to lube the wall up. It's been a long time since it has fired

MVC-004S_3.JPG

Checked for spark and it was fine. Poured gas in the spark plug hole and it hit right away. Couple more times and same thing. Lines seem okay but probably carb needs cleaned and maybe diaphragms. Started taking it apart.

MVC-005S_3.JPG

Most of the time you don't have to take them clear off to do this. Just blowing and checking things out and it makes a nice holder when it's on the saw. been a while since working on one this old.

MVC-006S_3.JPG

Went down to Grandpa's parts stash and dug through the carb parts and as luck would have it I found the exact diaphrams and gaskets I needed! SCORE! Old ones were brittle and cracking.

MVC-007S_3.JPG

Put some more gas in the cylinder and it fired right up and ran. Put all the stuff back on and it's now good to go. Gave it a quick clean as well.

MVC-008S_3.JPG

MVC-009S_3.JPG

MVC-010S_2.JPG

MVC-011S_2.JPG

MVC-012S_2.JPG

MVC-013S_2.JPG

MVC-014S_1.JPG

Check out the recommended 10:1 mix ratio. Enough to keep mosquitos away!

MVC-015S_1.JPG

MVC-016S_1.JPG

Not a perfect saw but a nice survivor and memories for us. My Mom's dad bought this from my Dad's Dad before they were married in 1958 so this Double memory saw is a keeper for sure.

For those of you who don't know the model number 4-20 means 4 HP and 20 lbs

Nice work, always nice to see an old timer (especially one with family history) brought back to life. You may want to copy your post to the "History of bow saws" stickie.

Thanks, I'll do that then. I can remember him using this old gear drive when I was real little but My father used it some later when Grandpa couldn't handle it safely anymore. He was only allowed to use it for "their" wood though!

MVC-009S_3.JPG

MVC-010S_2.JPG

MVC-011S_2.JPG

MVC-012S_2.JPG

MVC-013S_2.JPG

MVC-014S_1.JPG

Check out the recommended 10:1 mix ratio. Enough to keep mosquitos away!

MVC-015S_1.JPG

MVC-016S_1.JPG

Not a perfect saw but a nice survivor and memories for us. My Mom's dad bought this from my Dad's Dad before they were married in 1958 so this Double memory saw is a keeper for sure.

For those of you who don't know the model number 4-20 means 4 HP and 20 lbs

Kevin in Ohio
Your carb. was a Brown CS used on a few Homelite 4-20 saws. I was told Walbro later bought the Brown company. I still have several new gaskets and diaphragms in stock for the Brown CS, if someone is looking for them. A Homelite dealer in Indiana sold a lot of Homelite gear saws with a clearing attachment.
chainsawlady

Latest posts

Back