Bringing your chain to get Sharpened?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that only the top and 25 to 30 thousdand of the side of the tooth do the cutting and I can assure you that the flat side of 1/8 wheel grinds well past 30 thousands down on the side, the only thing the bottom of the wheel does is not let the wheel get low enough on small chains and then needs to be dressed at a slant so the wheel can get lower.

Steve,

I disagree.

The radiused part of the grinding wheel is why we have a curved profile to the cutters (square ground chain, of course, excluded). They are essentially hollow ground (think of the round sharpening files).

If you are not radiusing the grinding wheels, or lowering the wheel past the radius, you will have a different profile to both cutting edges. I check and touch up the radius every chain or so.

Note the attached illustrations from Oregon manuals, which help to illustrate this.

Philbert
(Spell checked for Gary's protection)

Grinder
attachment.php
File
attachment.php

Last edited:
Steve,

I disagree.

The radiused part of the grinding wheel is why we have a curved profile to the cutters (square ground chain, of course, excluded). They are essentially hollow ground (think of the round sharpening files).

If you are not radiusing the grinding wheels, or lowering the wheel past the radius, you will have a different profile to both cutting edges. I check and touch up the radius every chain or so.

Note the attached illustrations from Oregon manuals, which help to illustrate this.

Philbert
(Spell checked for Gary's protection)

Grinder
attachment.php
File
attachment.php

I guess I've been square grinding mine all these years as the flat side of the wheel gets well below the top of the tooth, they cut like butter. Steve

Mountainlake, that is a common enough procedure and someone actually designed a guide to use the goofy file in this manner but it makes for (in my opinion) a hooky tooth and one that really damages badly if you hit trash.

If you look at the profile on Stihl chains (also the new Oregon) you can see that the top plate is ground entirely with the side of the stone but with an exaggerated down angle and that 100% of the side cutter is sharpened only by the semi circular edge of the wheel. I dont think it is something you can handily do on a regular round grinder.

I think Philbert is on the money here on the recommended procedure. The other way is a bit quick and dirty but I dont doubt more chains get done your way than his and it does get the job done, Lol

Latest posts

Back