Broad Leaf Tree with Damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LawnTroll

Reaction score
Hi:
I posted a few pics of one of my trees. This tree has a short growth cycle. It sprouts healthy leaves in march, then develops a kind of spotting that overtakes the canopy by the end of the summer. I would like to know:
What species it is? Does anyone know/recommend a fertilizer and a fungicide to allow the tree a longer growth cycle. It has a wound in the trunk. I'm hoping that if it could be made healthier for a few seasons the wound would begin to close up again.

Mullberry

It looks like a Mullberry - Morus nigra, and judging from the leaf damage a fungicide (copper sulfate based) might help the cause after leaves harden off from initial regrowth but is it in a position that has a lot of shade? This may be contributing to your problem. If you could improve the light you would be less likely to have seasonal fungal issues. This tree requires full sun.
Get an arborist to perform a sanitation prune as it would benefit the trees yearly growth cycle. Also don't worry about the injury on the trunk it will seal itself over time just keep an eye out for any seasonal borer attack.

regards

Yibida

Thanks

Thanks for letting me know it is a mulberry.

Concerning light - nothing blocking light over the canopy but it does have some light blocked by other trees. That might be straining it. It does not get much morning or south side light. I'll see if I can find an arborist to take a look at it.

also, I recently cleared a 6 foot section of plant growth around the trunk hopefully the ground cover (mostly ferns) is not competing for nutrients.

Glad to know it's fixable.

Up here in the midwest that would be a weed tree. Mulberrys love the weather here, and they are growing very healthy in nearly every fence line.

The damage to a mulberry down in Florida might be different, but I expect the leaf damage will not seriously affect the health of the tree. Cosmetically; it would probably require a regular regimen of fungicidal treatments that will last the lifetime of the tree to keep those leaf spots away.

Latest posts

Back