Broke the handle on my maul today, should my next one be wood or glass?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by wak110
I use the Monster Maul for the bigger stuff, You don't really have to swing it, just raise it up and let it fall. I have a smallerwooden handledmaul for the smaller stuff, got one of those rubber handle protecters on it, really helps on the occasional miss.

How much does that thing weigh and does it shake your teeth out on every swing? I dont want to have to wear gloves when I am splitting

I think the head is advertised as being 12lbs, I'm no expert, in splitting or physics but I think the triangular shape of the head has something to with the force it hits the wood with. You really have to put a little effort into it, but not much.

If your aim is in question, I would wear steel toed boots.

wood is the only way to go--sand the replacement handle down, getting the crap the manufactorer sealed it with off--now treat it with atleast five coats of thinned linseed oil(1/3 mineral spirits to 2/3 linseed oil) letting it dry between coats. not only does it presevrve it but the layerd coats helps soften the vibration.
i have a 6 pd axe handled maul for general splitting and a 8 pd round handled maul for the more stubburn rounds. i don't leave them out when i'm done splitting and they don't get wet--ever.
I use hydraulic commercially in the fire wood biz--but i split my own by hand--6--8 cord a year. My Father taught me when i was a boy--"you don't split wood with the handle"--unless it's the handle. go slow--power comes with accuracy.
i don't intend to replace these hanles--they have both served me for ten years--happy splitting. dkt316

My maul is worn down to the point that it's not worth sharpening anymore, but the steel handle is still going strong. The flat side makes a good sledge hammer, so I'll probably get another fifteen years out of it.

Maul Handle

Don't be wimpy!--Weld an iron pipe to it--put on a decent grip & you will have a maul for life!--I went through about 5 handles a year--basically because of my bad aim until I did this--that was 4 years & over 100 cords ago--still going strong!.... :D

Hey guys,
Get yourself a splitting maul from Gransfors Bruks. They are a Sweedish company that still makes handmade axes and mauls.
The best one I've owned.

Woodho

I like the feel of a good quality wood handle, and I do not have much of a problem with them breaking. The fiberglass ones on the otherhand seem to be a bit more durable.

Other than the sun, I also find the fiberglass ones are alright to leave by the woodpile, and rain and moisture, etc. do not see to bother them as much as the wood ones...

Back