Broken cylinder fins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This good to run or no?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Should be alright... just don't run it all day without letting it cool down a little.

Bring it to a weldor and have them weld new fins on. Wouldn't be all that difficult. Heck, it might be cheaper than you think.

What do you use the saw for? Nice air filter. Get in the way?

Thanks fellas.

What do you use the saw for? Nice air filter. Get in the way?

Haven't ran it yet, got it and two others in a box. Varying stages of rebuild. Will be work saws.

I will run a saw with a fin or two missing, but that is pretty bad. All of the fins are put on the top of the cylinder to dissipate heat that is present in the head. There is a pretty large area there where the head has no fins. It will obviously run, even with no fins anywhere. The question is how long it will run. Rest assured that it will die at the most inopportune time.

Last edited:
We all know it's not optimum, but seriously, if you keep those remaining fins clean, it will run a lot cooler than the ones I see all the time with the fins completely packed with oil, pitch and sawdust!:msp_scared:

think the bolts plugging the decomp button hole ,plug should be on air filter side not muffler

Yeah, I know. Just razzing him a bit.

Well if the down side is it burns up, he'll need a piston/cyl..

If he replaces the piston/cylinder now, how would we all then know how long/well it lasts?

I say run it and keep us updated!!!!

It would not be hard to find a cylinder with a ruined bore and salvage some fins from it. If the bore is nice, it would probably be worth welding fins on. I suspect that if some welding is not done on the outside, it will do some welding of it's own on the inside.

I've run worse in the winter time cutting timber 6-7 hours a day. I had a saw like that (288) go two full winters of cutting before it got smashed.

Like Fish said, run it dude.

Being that far up, I would run it like I would any normal cylinder.
With the plastic on it and running 10,000 rpms I doubt if anyone will ever know they are missing.

Mike

Good catch! Broken fins can be hard to spot sometimes....

:evilgrin:

I machine off all the fins on my saws, it saves quite a bit of weight, then i install a small aquarium pump to spray the cyl and keep it cool. I hook the pump up to a 5 gallon backpack water jug I built, full of ice water my saws run very cool

Latest posts

Back