Brothers,,you have to love 'EM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My younger brother came over a few days back and borrowed a chain saw.I loaned him my old Mac 310.( thankful I didn't loan him one of my STIHLS).He called later in the day and told me he had put my saw back in garage.

Fast forward until today.I went in garage and there set my saw,clean as a pin full of gas and oil.As I was sitting it on the shelf I noticed the chain looked odd.A closer inspection revealed a chain that closely resembled a bicycle sprocket chain.the drags were nearly completely gone.I mean this baby was worn slick.I thought how in the world did he manage this.

I called and ask him what did you do with my saw the other day?his reply.I needed to Bury a 12-2 wire to my out building and the chainsaw dug a perfect ditch to put the wire in and never even messed my yard up.

I thought man if you new how cautious I am about hitting the ground with my chains.I guess the good thing is the chain was nearly worn out and probably needed replacing anyway.
But thats my brother ,If he called tomorrow I would loan it to him again,and If I asked he would give me the shirt right off his back.

That is what brothers are for... That is a great attitude to have with him cause like you said if hes that way with you then there is nothing any better,, I also have a great brother

That's not the first time I've heard of that. When I was researching installing an invisible dog fence a few years back that was one of the ways that was recommended to dig the trench for the wire to be buried 3 to 4 ". I did not use that method.
Hey that wire is suppose to be 24" down in the ground per code around here. Only low voltage DC are allowed to be buried that shallow unless you had the 28" bar on that 310:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:
how clean was it under the clutch cover?
No brothers here but three BIL's one of which love to impress me with his ingenuity with my tools.
I believe he owes you a chain and/or a case of beer for your birthday, Christmas, St Patrick's day, or just not pissed off at brother day.

Rep for good brother attitute!

I'm sure there are guys here who think more of their saws than their relatives (and let's face it, we all have relatives who are worth less than a Poulan), but it's nice to see brothers getting along even when one of them does something stupid. I've got two brothers that I would also do anything for. :clap::clap:

Amazing.....to put things into perspective...my brother was 16 and I was 14.We were grouse hunting. He had several friends up from the cities hunting with us.
At the road by the car we unloaded,only when one of his friends unloaded the shotgun went off at close range.My brother took the load in the heart.

Looking back there was nothing that could have prevented the accident outside of this guy being a bit safer with his gun.
I think of my brother often and even after 34 years I still wish we had not gone that terrible day.

To be able to have the kind of relationship you have with your brother is something I sorely miss.If all it meant that you had to replace the chain....how lucky you are!

HAHA! classic brother story. if that was my brother id probably have to hunt him down. hes not good on returns

one day while i was at work and the old lady just happend to be home sick. she heard the dogs barking and happend to look out the window. there goes my brother riding down the road with my BRAND NEW cub cadet riding lawn mower in the back of his truck.

i called him up furiously asked him what the :censored: gave him the reason to take my mower??

he said: "well mines broke and were brothers. I figured you didnt care"

needless to say i let him use it

the stuff i do for that boy. as hardheaded as he as and as much as we fight and argue i still love him. gotta love it!

I have three brothers. One lives 300 miles away and another lives 2000 miles from me. The third, who is the most irresponsible and tends to break anything more complicated than a slingshot, lives on the other side of town. :cry:

Oh well, that's why we have beer. :cheers:

I used my saws beaver trapping through the ice. I never thought about them with the moles...

Amazing.....to put things into perspective...my brother was 16 and I was 14.We were grouse hunting. He had several friends up from the cities hunting with us.
At the road by the car we unloaded,only when one of his friends unloaded the shotgun went off at close range.My brother took the load in the heart.

Looking back there was nothing that could have prevented the accident outside of this guy being a bit safer with his gun.
I think of my brother often and even after 34 years I still wish we had not gone that terrible day.

To be able to have the kind of relationship you have with your brother is something I sorely miss.If all it meant that you had to replace the chain....how lucky you are!

Sorry for your loss , I cant even imagine it.

damn man. my brothers confined to a wheelchair now. hes diagnosed with muscular dystrophy. not a day goes by that I wish that was me in that chair instead of him. yes we argue and fite all the time, but we both know we love eachother and we got eachothers backs. were brothers. thats what brothers do

keith i am so sorry to hear that. i can only imagine the pain you live through. similar to you, I had a close sibling (dad) pass when i was very young. theres not a day goes by i dont think of him.

Sounds like you have, and are, a great brother.:)

I'm very lucky with the brothers I have, all of them are top notch men. They all know how to take care of machines, if fact so far all of them are better with their equipment than I am. I'd loan them any tool at any time, they do the same for me and it means we all have access to more tools than we can afford on our own.

Mr. HE:cool:

HAHA! classic brother story. if that was my brother id probably have to hunt him down. hes not good on returns

one day while i was at work and the old lady just happend to be home sick. she heard the dogs barking and happend to look out the window. there goes my brother riding down the road with my BRAND NEW cub cadet riding lawn mower in the back of his truck.

i called him up furiously asked him what the :censored: gave him the reason to take my mower??

he said: "well mines broke and were brothers. I figured you didnt care"

needless to say i let him use it

the stuff i do for that boy. as hardheaded as he as and as much as we fight and argue i still love him. gotta love it!

I have a similar story, only with BIL #3. This was a while back, I used to have an 8'x10' trident aluminum tilt snowmobile trailer that I bought with our first pair of 4-wheelers. I get home from work one day and I notice it is gone. It sat way back beside the pole barn with the boat and other trailer. So after a few phone calls and talking to my neighbors, wife and kids I figure it was stolen so I call the sheriff and make the report. Well you know who shows up with my trailer the next day telling me about the great deal he got on this non-running sportster. He drove 25 miles to borrow it, nobody was home, left no note, phone call, voice mail, nothing. Now guess who had to call the sheriff back like an idiot and tell them my trailer was not stolen.

Well now that I told you guys about one of the bad experiences from years ago it is time to focus on all the good. First off we have been blessed that all of us are in good health well into our forties. Also that all of our children all of which are in the mid-teens or beyond seem to be on the right track. Also as this group of four households aged we became closer instead of more distant. AND that with all the different skill sets that my three BIL's and I have there is not much we can't accomplish. Yep overall things are working out quite well, thanks for making me think about it.

If it wasn't for my brother helping with firewood,I'd have alot less firewood cut:clap::clap:

That sir is one sad story. Next time you encounter somebody whining about how bad their day has been maybe you could enlighten them on just what constitutes a BAD day.

A few years back, at the nursing home (alzheimer ward) there was a lady celebrating her birthday with several daughters-----when I asked Betty if she had any boys the mood went instantly strange. One of the daughters told me how she lost a son when he was young (teens or early 20s). Bettys hair turned snow white shortly after the accident.

Tough for a brother yes--------for a mother I couldn't begin to imagine.

Hope you had some other siblings to share the pain.

I couldnt imagine losing a brother like you have discribed.. That day will never go away im sure and i pray as well for the boy that accidently shot him.. How bad it would be also to lose a friend over what you did,,, Yes that story makes the rest of us wake up and think its not such a bad day after all.. My heart goes out to you bro. Im just lucky to have one brother and we help each other out as much as possible.. Thanks for sharing your story trust me im sure its helped a few over the years as well.. God Bless

i am so sorry for your loss. Just reading this has me crying. just remeber the good times and think about him often

My brother is three years older than me and I always looked up to him when we were growing up.
Now, he's the last person I'd ask for a favor. If it involves work or he has to go out of his way at all he wants no part of it. Kinda sucks. I still love him but, as you guys said, brothers should be there for each other.:confused:

Family is everything...how rich are those that do not have one?
Sure we can bicker...yes there can be some heated arguements. Ya see we are all so intuned with each other...we know the buttons to push.

Don't let the sun go down before you settle your grievences.You never know when family member may pass and you'll be left with this" I never got a chance to say I was sorry".

My brothers passing was terrible on our entire family. Folks got divorced...Dad died partially due to alcohol....sisters all moved to seperate parts of the country...most of us never talk...I grew into an Alcoholic(recovering)...

30 some years later the girls are calling on the phone...Mom remarried 24 years ago and the family is tight once again...I sobered up....

I hate to take over this thread but there's this thing I want to share.....
When I was last in jail several years ago I ran into this Catholic born again woman at a meeting in jail.
I went to it just to burn time out of my cell.I was due to be getting out soon and it was a boring Sunday with nothing on the TV....anyway after an hour of normal bs'ing she had us all go down to the end of the table one at a time.
She put holy water over our heads and ran the sign of th cross in front of us then she would hold a hand to each guy and pray for them.
I was the last in line....as she finished with me and we all stood up to go she stops me and said you've seen an angel before.
I said no and took a step and then said yes.
Then she said that my son sits in heaven every day and prays for me.

Well on the angel thing which I never told her....2 months after Little John(brother) died I ran into him in town.We spent the day together.Everyone else talked to him so it was not some aberition...he was real and I've always thought it was just his twin for all of these years....funny thing...when I went back the next day he was gone.Nobody knew where he came from or where he went.....

As to my deceased son I told the woman that my son was alive and well going to vo-tech a few towns over...well she said that the boy was 16 and that he had blonde curly hair ,blue eyes and a mole on his right cheek.
Now keep in mind that she did not know who I was and that my brother was killed 34 years ago,but she is descibing him to the tee.

...in the words of the late Mr. Harvey...I just thought you might want to know the rest of the story....

Back