Brrrrrrr!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let the games begin....

I was compelled to answer - the only better form of heat than a wood stove is the OWB :)

- no mess inside
- very long burn times
- gives you something to argue with wood stove fan boys about

Let the games begin....

I was compelled to answer - the only better form of heat than a wood stove is the OWB :)

Yeah........... unfortunately, my state and many others have virtually banned them with all the regulatory BS (absurd stack heights, setbacks,etc.). Enjoy yours while you still can.

And I'll enjoy my woodstove while its still legal. No doubt wood burning will be banned altogether....... since big gummit can't figure out a way to tax the crap out of it. :dizzy:

Been out moving wood from the split stack to the 'stacked' stack. Started with temp at 11 degrees, it is 16 now 3 hours later. Fairly comfortable with nothing but a padded sleeveless vest and cap with ear flaps. Then the breeze stiffened somewhat and I decided 5 garden trailer loads were enough progress for today.

Harry K

Yeah........... unfortunately, my state and many others have virtually banned them with all the regulatory BS (absurd stack heights, setbacks,etc.). Enjoy yours while you still can.

And I'll enjoy my woodstove while its still legal. No doubt wood burning will be banned altogether....... since big gummit can't figure out a way to tax the crap out of it. :dizzy:

What do you mean ducttape? What type of ba:confused:nd do you have ?? You think they want to band burning??? I've never heard anything about this,it makes me fell sick!!!

Yep. In Oregon, all wood boilers are outright banned now. Well, until someone comes up with one that passes the new EPA requirements, which is the same as WA state requirements, which have not had anyone yet meet them. Well wait, Greenwood has an IWB that passes WA requirements, so there is one IWB in WA/OR that you can buy. No OWBs pass, so none allowed here. Sorry, brought to you by gov't regs and a-holes that burn diapers, used motor oil and RR ties in OWBs, and the NY and New England anti-OWB sensationalist lobby groups.

All wood burning appliances are next. Even these new WA approved-EPA III stoves/boilers are only approved for sale for the next 5 years. Then requirements are for half the current new standard in particulate matter. Pellet stoves, anyone? :dumb2:

Oh, and we are having a heat wave here in the west. Spring has sprung earlier than any other year I can recall in Oregon. My plums are flowering and the bees are going nuts harvesting nectar. It was 56 today. 44 was the low last night. I can only hope we do not get a polar shot and everything freezes, like it should be doing here now.

Oh, and we are having a heat wave here in the west. Spring has sprung earlier than any other year I can recall in Oregon. My plums are flowering and the bees are going nuts harvesting nectar. It was 56 today. 44 was the low last night. I can only hope we do not get a polar shot and everything freezes, like it should be doing here now.
No worries on the polar shot....its all here in the upper Midwest and East

Yep. In Oregon, all wood boilers are outright banned now. Well, until someone comes up with one that passes the new EPA requirements, which is the same as WA state requirements, which have not had anyone yet meet them. Well wait, Greenwood has an IWB that passes WA requirements, so there is one IWB in WA/OR that you can buy. No OWBs pass, so none allowed here. Sorry, brought to you by gov't regs and a-holes that burn diapers, used motor oil and RR ties in OWBs, and the NY and New England anti-OWB sensationalist lobby groups.

All wood burning appliances are next. Even these new WA approved-EPA III stoves/boilers are only approved for sale for the next 5 years. Then requirements are for half the current new standard in particulate matter. Pellet stoves, anyone? :dumb2:
I know of an OWB just up the road from me at a new construction home. I saw it on a walk and had to go back and take a second look to make sure I was seeing correctly. That's up here in NW WA.

Stamper, we'll send you down a vortex just for good measure.
John

I am waiting with my oak and locust firewood at the ready. The long range forecast is for mild weather in the western US though, up to about Kamloops, BC in a swath across the US to Texas. Everything west of that is supposed to be toasty warm, all the stuff east is supposed to be frikkin' cold.

I know of an OWB just up the road from me at a new construction home. I saw it on a walk and had to go back and take a second look to make sure I was seeing correctly.

It ain't legal.... hope their neighbors like them real well. Anyone could turn them in to the state.

From the WA state Dept. of Ecology web site:

Are any outdoor wood-fired hydronic heaters legal in Washington?
Not at this time.

I would guess that they are going to get burned when they get the final. It s a state-wide ban. Or... its an outdoor pellet boiler. CB makes one that is WA approved now. There are also two other indoor pellet boilers approver in WA state, and the one approved IWB wood burner from Greenwood. These are all retro-EPA-III certified.

It ain't legal.... hope their neighbors like them real well. Anyone could turn them in to the state.

From the WA state Dept. of Ecology web site:

Are any outdoor wood-fired hydronic heaters legal in Washington?
Not at this time.

I would guess that they are going to get burned when they get the final. It s a state-wide ban. Or... its an outdoor pellet boiler. CB makes one that is WA approved now. There are also two other indoor pellet boilers approver in WA state, and the one approved IWB wood burner from Greenwood. These are all retro-EPA-III certified.

...meanwhile, back in court..

"Your honor, this *is* a pellet stove, I just use alternative large 'pellets'...."

sounds like a wa retired gov hack..............

I don't think OWBs make economic sense here. Compared to the rest of the country, we have cheap power. Really cheap. My bill averages $50 a month and that includes a pump for the well and a portable heater that runs in my trailer when we get a cold spell, and forgetting to turn off the shop lights, and turning on the wall heater in the bathroom, etc. OWBs require power to run them, so make no sense for the survivalists, unless they can wire them to solar or a Pelton wheel.

The OWBs sound spendy to set up and most houses in these parts have electric heat already in them.

37 this morning and supposed to hit 68 today. Don't move here.

Latest posts

Back