Bubba Been Here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has it been drilled out to suit the larger stud?
Nope- I'd say someone had a bit of a woopsie- snapped both studs off- could not figure out how to punch the remainders out into the oil tank, fish them out with a magnet and replace with new studs- instead they went with the welder and grinder option!
But that is just the tip of the iceberg with this particular what used to be a 288XP! :laugh:

Looks like Stihl studs with the collars ground off. Seen that a few times where bubba wanted to run cheap Husqvarna small mount bars on a Stihl 003 mount.

I do not know what they used to weld back on- but looking from the oil fill back into the tank- you can see the rectangular ends of the original genuine Husqvarna studs.

I do not know what they used to weld back on- but looking from the oil fill back into the tank- you can see the rectangular ends of the original genuine Husqvarna studs.
So they welded these studs and then ground off the weld buildup, fantastic. Looking at it more closely I can see evidence of the grinder disc hitting the bar pad, originally without looking closely I thought it was just chain rash.

So they welded these studs and then ground off the weld buildup, fantastic. Looking at it more closely I can see evidence of the grinder disc hitting the bar pad, originally without looking closely I thought it was just chain rash.

Yep- been weld reattached and ground back down insitu- with little regard for the bar pad- but I guess you can cover that up with a bar plate eh? :laugh:

Yep- been weld reattached and ground back down insitu- with little regard for the bar pad- but I guess you can cover that up with a bar plate eh? :laugh:
YEP, think I might just cut them off flush to the pad, drill the ends in a bit and then punch them out into the tank, replace with OEM. Seen too many instances where regular hex head bolts were tried with little success, even with huge globs of ATV trying to keep them from leaking and certainly did little to retain them

YEP, think I might just cut them off flush to the pad, drill the ends in a bit and then punch them out into the tank, replace with OEM. Seen too many instances where regular hex head bolts were tried with little success, even with huge globs of ATV trying to keep them from leaking and certainly did little to retain them

But wait- theres more!
Same saw.

1708460966299.png

No air deflector plate inside- no problem- just run an external flexi duct to carry the wire to the switch!

Oh and cheapo AM starter to boot- reason soon became evident for these "repairs"

But wait- theres more!
Same saw.

View attachment 1155388

No air deflector plate inside- no problem- just run an external flexi duct to carry the wire to the switch!

Oh and cheapo AM starter to boot- reason soon became evident for these "repairs"
Radical modifications, my favorite, NOT! but only if I have done them.

WHAT A BUGGER, Will take you a bit to sort that all out.

Im still on a win- or at least the plus side of the ledger- A: it did not cost much- maybe USD$60 and the cases (bar the bar pad) are in pretty good condition for a 288. Good muffler, spike and front AV spring- the chain adjuster is all there (even if the retainer happens to be at the wrong end of the threads).
Crank feels good- but the clutch bell was a bit wobbly- took it off and all the bearing needles fell out on the bench- cage is kinda welded to the crank.......

1708462063000.png

Back