Bubba Been Here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I had that was reusable was 7 screws that the threads were not stripped or filled with aluminum so running it over made me feel better, not one other part was suitable for reuse. The saw had been reassembled with all dunnage parts from several rebuilds by the previous owner, there was nothing else fit for swapping over to another saw, nothing I needed anyway. Sometimes one just needs to bite the bullet and let it go, I should have been pissed but in the overall scheme of things I had collected far more saws that were in much better shape costing me far less than their worth, I was far ahead of the ball on refurbishment of dozens of desirable saws so one must bite the bullet occasionally, well just once in my case.

Thats exactly the way I look at it as well- I have many saws bought at bargain basement prices that fix very easily. I am way up on the good side of the scale and did not get burned on this one.
Had I paid $3-400 of ours for it- I might be a touch angry, but I didn't, so cant complain.
It is all part of the online buying risk- it is calculated on the worse possible outcome, despite what the seller gleams over or neglects to mention- you pay what you are willing to risk on the minimum any certain saw might return.
Over here, I have been quoted by parts suppliers here $50 for the 7th AV for one of these- the big spring out the front- so what little is left unmolested is still holding some value and I have plenty of 288 parts stashed away- just short on genuine carbs.
About three days after this abomination arrived in a box- a nice 268XP showed up that was apparently seized and also very cheap. It had a fairly new 20 inch bar and chain, complete unmolested saw, very tidy cosmetically, came with a spare recoil starter cover and had simply been straight fuelled- I ridded the cylinder of transfer, took the piston off a 268 sitting here than has a snapped crank, fitted a new ring and badda boom badda bang- runs like new.
I have way more wins than losses.

Thats exactly the way I look at it as well- I have many saws bought at bargain basement prices that fix very easily. I am way up on the good side of the scale and did not get burned on this one.
Had I paid $3-400 of ours for it- I might be a touch angry, but I didn't, so cant complain.
It is all part of the online buying risk- it is calculated on the worse possible outcome, despite what the seller gleams over or neglects to mention- you pay what you are willing to risk on the minimum any certain saw might return.
Over here, I have been quoted by parts suppliers here $50 for the 7th AV for one of these- the big spring out the front- so what little is left unmolested is still holding some value and I have plenty of 288 parts stashed away- just short on genuine carbs.
About three days after this abomination arrived in a box- a nice 268XP showed up that was apparently seized and also very cheap. It had a fairly new 20 inch bar and chain, complete unmolested saw, very tidy cosmetically, came with a spare recoil starter cover and had simply been straight fuelled- I ridded the cylinder of transfer, took the piston off a 268 sitting here than has a snapped crank, fitted a new ring and badda boom badda bang- runs like new.
I have way more wins than losses.
Yes, I to have had my share of good saws come my way for very little cost, fixed most for very little and added them to the herd. It is inevitable that once in a very long spell there will be one bad egg.

Oh and the cylinder internals- well they did not miss out- never fear!

View attachment 1155401

Big gouge from top of port to squish band- chip ground out of port where the hard bit initially caught the wall, or maybe a porting attempt- wipe a finger around the inside and it gets coated in a substance very like grinding paste and the plating has been honed near fully through just below that port.
JB...no problem 😃

Now, while running it over with excavator tracks would make a much more fun video than epoxying it all back together and hiding that under a coat or two of rattle can paint- there are still some usable bits on here- believe it or not.
Heck I even removed the pawl springs last night and fitted them to a very cheap 480CD that arrived a couple of days ago (funnily enough- from the same city Bubba lives in) that the seller said had no spark- but had failed to notice the terminal had fallen out the back of the kill switch and was contacting the bottom of the air box.
The excavator track method is a great stress reliever, works for me but as far as a video, not happening. Gets too many naysayers panties in a wad and foul words are bound to be said. When something is that far gone that there is no saving it then it gets reduced in size, move on to better projects already waiting.

Took serious work by someone to "botch" that saw. That's a lot of monkeying around hours. My guess is a youngster with free time and little money.

Most likely- I mean that cylinder has been recently interfered with (no carbon on squish band but combustion dish is full) and has been obviously 3 stone honed. Someone has gotten a wreck or three and put stuff together with no real idea of how to do so with any form of remote closeness to correct- maybe they are tutored by youtube?

The excavator track method is a great stress reliever, works for me but as far as a video, not happening. Gets too many naysayers panties in a wad and foul words are bound to be said. When something is that far gone that there is no saving it then it gets reduced in size, move on to better projects already waiting.

But the excavator method yields smaller chunks of magnesium that burn easier ;)

If that was an Egay purchase, I'd be asking for a full refund unless it was practically free. That thing was rode hard & put away filthy. Some people have no conscience at all when selling stuff.

The bay of evilness is not a thing here- neither is demanding full refunds because you got duped.
It was cheap- like cheaper than buying a secondhand crank alone for a 288XP- on our local prices. Had I not taken it off the market, this "saw" could have gone on to really hurt some unsuspecting buyer buying it in good faith and needing to rely on it to heat their home this coming winter as their only saw, I took a small calibre bullet for someone else to dodge a big one- I have the parts to make this whole again without spending another dollar.
Parts of this saw will get absorbed into other projects- other bits will get binned- its all good.

Well that sets a new standard and I've seen a lot like this. grew up in a community of subsistence farming where there was no one to call to fix something and no money to pay for it anyway, if something broke you fixed it yourself or it stayed broken. Lots of Bubbas around.
I guess we know how the FW fins got broken. What's the easiest way to keep the crank from turning when you remove the clutch?

Well that sets a new standard and I've seen a lot like this. grew up in a community of subsistence farming where there was no one to call to fix something and no money to pay for it anyway, if something broke you fixed it yourself or it stayed broken. Lots of Bubbas around.
I guess we know how the FW fins got broken. What's the easiest way to keep the crank from turning when you remove the clutch?

Nope- but do tell? Taking in to account one fin is missing from the opposite side as well, there is no longer an air deflector plate and the entire starter has been replaced with an aftermarket cheapo.
That kind of lends itself - in my way of thinking- the flywheel was destroyed whilst in motion and took out the entire left hand side in the process.
But that is just a guess as well- without knowing the true history etc.

The bay of evilness is not a thing here- neither is demanding full refunds because you got duped.
It was cheap- like cheaper than buying a secondhand crank alone for a 288XP- on our local prices. Had I not taken it off the market, this "saw" could have gone on to really hurt some unsuspecting buyer buying it in good faith and needing to rely on it to heat their home this coming winter as their only saw, I took a small calibre bullet for someone else to dodge a big one- I have the parts to make this whole again without spending another dollar.
Parts of this saw will get absorbed into other projects- other bits will get binned- its all good.
It could have been me 😂😅

Once cracked or severely stressed those fins come off with a vengeance at WOT, was cutting beside a fellow one day that happened to him within the first few mins of startup in the morning, what a cluster Fup , the guy had tried removing the clutch the night before and you guessed it, had shoved a screwdriver into the fins, he said they only bent a little.

Back