Bucket Truck Backache?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
O.K., after 23 years of dangling from a rope, I bought a bucket this spring. Now it seems like I have a low backache that coincides with the use of the truck. Is it just because I'm an old man who should be greeting people at Wal-mart or have others experienced this? When I'm not in the trees I drill and split rock and demo concrete so I wouldn't expect core strength issues. Also completely comfortable in the bucket, so I don't think I'm tensing muscles. Anyone else? And since the bucket is used less than half the time will it take forever to get used to it? Thanks.

I began tree work in early 1980 and the company I started for had buckets. I was trained as a manual climber and primarily did just climbing. Then 6 years later I worked for a company that put me in a bucket for at least 6 of the 10 hour days. It hammered my low back bad. I had a tendency to lean way out to make hard cuts with a hydraulic saw that probably didn't help matters any, but I gladly went back to the ole rope and saddle method and much of the pain I felt then, alleviated. So I guess I'm asking are you leaning out of the bucket a lot and maybe using your back foot as a brace, this strains the lumber muscles a good bit and could be what you're feeling.

I have a thigh pad of sorts that hangs on the inside of the bucket. I find leaning against it more comfortable than the top edge of the bucket. Try leaning just over a desk or some thing that is about mid to upper thigh height versus your bucket. I guess it lets you bend at the hips or something, I just find it more comfortable

I think if your over the age of 40 and worked hard through most of your life is is inevitable. I know I have more pain at 46 than I did at 39 but we older gents learn how to deal with it imo.

I think if your over the age of 40 and worked hard through most of your life is is inevitable. I know I have more pain at 46 than I did at 39 but we older gents learn how to deal with it imo.

I hear ya there, rope; I hit the big 50 in 2 days :dizzy:

Dern I was your freshman lmao time sure gets away don't it:cheers: and happy birthday.

Thank you for the bday wishes, yes time flies very quickly. Today my wife and I celebrate our 27th year of marriage and that seems like it has only been a couple years.

I began tree work in early 1980 and the company I started for had buckets. I was trained as a manual climber and primarily did just climbing. Then 6 years later I worked for a company that put me in a bucket for at least 6 of the 10 hour days. It hammered my low back bad. I had a tendency to lean way out to make hard cuts with a hydraulic saw that probably didn't help matters any, but I gladly went back to the ole rope and saddle method and much of the pain I felt then, alleviated. So I guess I'm asking are you leaning out of the bucket a lot and maybe using your back foot as a brace, this strains the lumber muscles a good bit and could be what you're feeling.

I agree. Anytime you bend at your waist without bending your knees the force is almost 4x. No room in the bucket to bend your knees much therefore all stress and tension runs right through the muscles around spine. Try doing some press ups at night and at lunch.

Just lay on your stomach, do like a pushup but keep your hips on the ground. Extend your arms, exhale and let your stomach out, hold for 2 sec then back to the floor. Repeat 12-15 times. Try and do this 2-3 times a day. It will help.

Today my wife and I celebrate our 27th year of marriage and that seems like it has only been a couple years.

Dang! Testimonials like that "almost" test my personal motto of staying single. Could have gotten married to 3 different woman now and still lovin' my independence.

Happy birthday and Anniversary!

StihlRockin'

It could be just standing. I have a bad back myself, but I took an anti-fatigue rubber mat, like you see behind the counter at many places for the countermen to stand on, and cut it so I could put 2 layers of it in the bottom of the bucket. I can stand for long periods in that bucket with no problem.

Chris

Dave, the buckets are terrible on a back. I spent 35 years as a power co. lineman & have been in the o.r. twice for my back. You lean over that edge with a chainsaw or sticksaw, reach as far out as you can because it's easier than moving the lever to reposition the bucket. The bucket trucks save a lot, but not the lower back.

One hand chainsawing while cutting and holding the butt with the other hand and tossing branches shock loads the lower back....although no one does this as it is not accepted practice :rolleyes:;)

Alieve anti inflammatory helps and when better core exercises help. I do back curls on a roman chair and sit ups on a large pillow (feet unsecured) with knees way up in the air for abs. I also use a wheel stomach exerciser for abs.

Like Rope said, pain is unavoidable with age and at 60 I always have some somewhere.

PS ....if when tossing you can always use the limbs momentum it way lessens the shock.

Back