Bucking pine up with MS-441 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking he looked like one of the city slickers that make up 90% of your Stihl sales!:cheers:

Hopefully he can find his way out of the woods!

Them city slickers keep you from starving to death, hehehe

Take it easy on the guy, how many of you were pros the first time you picked up a saw? You learn from experience. He sure could use some advice, and he's asking for it, too.:)

I read on here you did too by trading off your 026 + $125 to get a 029 ;).

Yep, it's an embarrasing story and I'm secure enough to post it. I'm not happy about it. I'm disappointed that I lacked the patience to research and make the proper decision.

My biggest mistake, I trusted my Stihl dealer! :cry:

Guess that's what they call loyalty. You know, a man comes into the store and asks for a "pro" model (026) by name. Then he wants one size up (036). Why do a "retail rape" on a repeat customer. I'd purchased some expensive stuff there in the past. In a weak moment, I relied on my authorized Stihl dealer (#1 worldwide, right Mow?) to guide me into the saw I needed/wanted.

Do I think Stihl dealers take advantage of homeowners? What do you think?

You live and learn. Oh, I'll keep that 029 'til I pass from this earth as an icon, a constant reminder so I don't repeat that mistake. Now, I'm not an 029/290 basher, we already have a large team for that. It does what it's designed to do. My issue is that it was thrust upon me at an outrageous price when I really wanted/needed a pro saw because of my cutting volume.

But, I smile when I see that 029. Why? Because I know I won't repeat that mistake.

I wrote all this when I could have just posted a poem?

Joat

Last edited:
I guess he will eventually buy enough bars and chains that he will fix the problem himself. What I can't understand is why he video taped it????????????????????

They might keep you from starving to death!

For me they are mostly a PIA when they move out here in the country.

Here's looking out my front door.

attachment.php

Nice view Dan, not a cotton feild in sight,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yep, it's an embarrasing story and I'm secure enough to post it. I'm not happy about it. I'm disappointed that I lacked the patience to research and make the proper decision.

Guess that's what they call loyalty. You know, a man comes into the store and asks for a "pro" model (026) by name. Then he wants one size up (036). Why do a "retail rape" on a repeat customer. I'd purchased some expensive stuff there in the past. In a weak moment, I relied on my authorized Stihl dealer (#1 worldwide, right Mow?) to guide me into the saw I needed/wanted.

You live and learn. Oh, I'll keep that 029 'til I pass from this earth as an icon, a constant reminder so I don't repeat that mistake. Now, I'm not an 029/290 basher, we already have a large team for that. It does what it's designed to do. My issue is that it was thrust upon me at an outrageous price when I really wanted/needed a pro saw because of my cutting volume.

But, I smile when I see that 029. Why? Because I know I won't repeat that mistake.

Joat

I know exactly how you feel Joat cept I paid alot more. Its disappointing not getting what you thought you was gonna get. Luckily I don't do folks that way. Thats why we here in town have the good reputation that we do..

I know exactly how you feel Joat cept I paid alot more. Its disappointing not getting what you thought you was gonna get. Luckily I don't do folks that way. Thats why we here in town have the good reputation that we do..

Thanks Tommie.

Funny thing though. As it is in most business, a short term gain is really short sighted.

Now, gotta find a bar and chain for the 660. May need "best ole dealer in Leesburg" to fix me up.

Joat

I guess he will eventually buy enough bars and chains that he will fix the problem himself. What I can't understand is why he video taped it????????????????????

I'm guessing not enough expereince to know he's doing anything wrong, or that pulling on the Saw like that is putting any pressure on the b/c.

It coulda been alot worse. Least the saw didn't pull in half like I think one would have,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

They give you a warning when you pull on them to much. The rev up when you get them pulled about half the way that they will pull. Yes, I know this from experience and yes I know it is a bad thing to do and yes I am trying to break the habit.

Joat
Yeah its not a manufacturer specific thing. Do you think Honda dealers mislead uneducated consumers? Or is it more general and all salesmen have the potential to mislead uneducated consumers?

Part of the blame goes on you and part of the blame goes on the dealer. I have no idea how much you conveyed to your dealer on how much wood your going to be cutting, what kind a saw you needed, that you wanted a pro saw, etc. If you go through life relying on salesmen to determine the products that will best suit your needs you'll will end up with a whole herd of dud purchases. I guess your lucky that this purchase was a reletively low $ lesson. Since your so computer savvy, you could have listed that 029 on ebay shortly after you discovered it didn't suit your needs, and you would have gotten near retail for it.

Last edited:
Thanks Tommie.

Funny thing though. As it is in most business, a short term gain is really short sighted.

Now, gotta find a bar and chain for the 660. May need "best ole dealer in Leesburg" to fix me up.

Joat

Hey hey, you come on up here, I may have one in the shed for Free,hmmmm, what size you looking for, I think I know where they can be had dirt cheap,hehe..

Last edited:
They give you a warning when you pull on them to much. The rev up when you get them pulled about half the way that they will pull. Yes, I know this from experience and yes I know it is a bad thing to do and yes I am trying to break the habit.

Whats odd is the guy made no bones about yanking on that saw. Seems to him to be a usual thing. Thats the kind of things people do to a saw not having a clue they shouldn't. Seeing how hard he was yanking that saw its a wonder he didn't snap a spring and wind up with a tank housing and handle in his hand and the bar and motor stuck in the log,LOL I said before that saw was built like a tank, that guy just proved it.

My dad and I yanked on them for years like that. The av mounts on the 028 were torn up about 8 years ago. Either pulling on the saw did it or the fact that it was made in 1979. It is a good way to diagnose a bad intake boot.

I like how the guy in the vid doesn't have his thumbs wrapped, when the kickback happens its gonna be ferocious...:popcorn:

Back