Bucking Saw Suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find them to be overweight, under powered, mediocre saws at best.
Were you running the Home Depot chain, I think they do a fine job.
They are a bit overweight when you consider you can have the same chassis with 79cc, but they cut nice and would do a great job in 20" green wood.
Here's one with a new style husky chain in very hard ash.

Echo cs-590. No issues on 24" red oak for me. Fairly cheap and that 5 year warranty. If possible support local dealer. He will run the saw make any adjustments and send you home with full tanks of gas and bar oil. You will have to remove the guide tip guard though when you get home lol.

Attachments

• IMG_8930.jpg
    IMG_8930.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 15
Timely response to SawTroll.
Obviously he never bought dirt. I was in the building industry for a lifetime and dirt is never cheap.
Dirts cheap but transportation is pricey! Dirt is only 25% of the total bill. I got 52k pounds of septic stone 6a delivered for 550$ 2 loads. 150$ was the stone 400$ was fkr delivery

Dirts cheap but transportation is pricey! Dirt is only 25% of the total bill. I got 52k pounds of septic stone 6a delivered for 550$ 2 loads. 150$ was the stone 400$ was fkr delivery
Odd, they sell it by the pound there?

Need suggestions for a saw to buck a couple 20" red oaks in the yard that I will have to make into firewood.
I tried it in the neighbor's on a similar tree with my old Stihl 023 and it took a lot of extra effort with a 16" bar and it was not pulling an 18" well and took much babying, so something a bit stronger is in order.
Weight and vibration are primary concerns second to adequate grunt. It's tough getting old!
Any suggestions would be helpful.
I’ve got a 261 stihl. I’d recommend unless you are cutting up huge tree trunks or something will pull 20” just fine and it’s got the same amount of power as a cs590, with a lot less weight. I got it as a brush popper limbsaw mainly. Only disadvantage is it will only run 20” max on narrow mounts and uses .325 chain not 3/8”. But it is fast…fast. I used to have a 455 and this thing eats it’s lunch in all categories.

I got 2 and spare 24" bars for them. Really didn't notice a difference in cutting speed and efficiency running skip tooth chain in the oak rounds in the pic I posted. I tried both regular full comp and skip tooth full comp. Waiting for warranty period to end because I see alot of you tube videos of these saws really coming to life after a MM and even better with alil porting. I lucked out and got mine for 239.99 a chain store was discontinuing carrying them and my dealer price matched to those prices!

I got 2 and spare 24" bars for them. Really didn't notice a difference in cutting speed and efficiency running skip tooth chain in the oak rounds in the pic I posted. I tried both regular full comp and skip tooth full comp. Waiting for warranty period to end because I see alot of you tube videos of these saws really coming to life after a MM and even better with alil porting. I lucked out and got mine for 239.99 a chain store was discontinuing carrying them and my dealer price matched to those prices!
Most newer saws benefit from a muffler mod, and the 590 is no exception to that.

Only disadvantage is
That's it, they don't handle well at all.
Better bucking saw than for climbing, but if you like them that's what's most important :).

Full chisle. I didn't notice any difference in skip tooth vs standard. I read alot that the 590 struggled with longer bars but it seemed to cut pretty good IMO (guys recommended skip tooth). I don't own anything else other than old Mac 610/650s so I really can't compare it against a husky or stihl. But it felt right and seemed like it was cutting really good. I'd put my $ on a 60cc stihl or husky to cut faster but my experience with echo for 30 years has been great.

I hope you have a saw that works at the end of the warranty. Take a look @ the exhaust outlet on the muffler, and tell me its not a recipe for complete failure. Its like 1\20th of the size of the exhaust port. Never could get what people get so thrilled about them for other than price. Might as well gamble on a holzfforma or some China saw, imo. They aren't a bad saw if you gut the muffler and turn up the fuel. That being said a 562 can kick its butt 11 times out of 10.

I probly ran 5+ gallons of fuel threw mine last year. So far so good. I agree with the muffler issue but they can give me a new saw if I burn this one up because of this. After 5 years is up gonna open her up like she should be

Back