Bucking Saw Suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need suggestions for a saw to buck a couple 20" red oaks in the yard that I will have to make into firewood.
I tried it in the neighbor's on a similar tree with my old Stihl 023 and it took a lot of extra effort with a 16" bar and it was not pulling an 18" well and took much babying, so something a bit stronger is in order.
Weight and vibration are primary concerns second to adequate grunt. It's tough getting old!
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Stihl 261c will handle most tree work. It's the same size as the old 026 but perhaps a tad heavier. It'll run a 20" bar for logging. It's a professional saw with loads of power. I used mine for arborist work when my 201t was off the road. Awkward but usable.

Holzfforma has had a clone of the 272 out for a couple of years now. I own one and it cuts much the same as the Husky it replicates. That is why I'm asking if NorthernMaverick has ever used one. I'm betting the answer is no and he is just spouting off out of biased ignorance.

I bought mine after reading a number of reviews by folks who cut with saws daily and work on them for a living.

I have not used mine long enough to determine how well it will hold up long term, but I have cut with everything from Stihls, Huskys, Dolmar/makitas, old school Poulans, Solos. etc. The Holzfforma holds it's own, at least when new. Only time will tell about the longevity, but the fact that parts are directly interchangeable with the Huskies they clone helps with getting replacement parts down the road.
Fleetcommand gave a holz. Husky saws to one of his buddies to test it lasted six months when the crank and rod bearings gave out in a real world logging test.

I’ve got a 261 stihl. I’d recommend unless you are cutting up huge tree trunks or something will pull 20” just fine and it’s got the same amount of power as a cs590, with a lot less weight. I got it as a brush popper limbsaw mainly. Only disadvantage is it will only run 20” max on narrow mounts and uses .325 chain not 3/8”. But it is fast…fast. I used to have a 455 and this thing eats it’s lunch in all categories.
I have a stihl 261c and a echo 590 and they are both very nice saws. There is a very noticeable difference in power between the two saws through . Stihl’s hp ratings don’t equate to real world performance. These are very different saws in real world performance. I very much enjoy both saws , but the 590 is much more powerful than the 261.

The Echo 590 is probably the least spectacular when compared to any pro 60cc saw available new today (and LOTS of old ones too)

however, when compared to the modern "farm" saws (the class Echo themselves puts it in, btw) it is probably the most spectacular

just keeping it real.

Attachments

• 16369790852167228070717445644508.jpg
    16369790852167228070717445644508.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
I have a stihl 261c and a echo 590 and they are both very nice saws. There is a very noticeable difference in power between the two saws through . Stihl’s hp ratings don’t equate to real world performance. These are very different saws in real world performance. I very much enjoy both saws , but the 590 is much more powerful than the 261.
Welcome to AS :cheers:.

Thanks for the info HuskyBill
Thats a real world test Being that I am in my 60s amd am a homeowner I will probably never get in 6 months of daily logging hours but I guess that shows the Holz may not have the longevity of a real Husky
Maybe the wrong mix ratio? I don’t think hutzl is 50 or 40:1 ratio. With the rising cost of the used husky and Stihl saws the new hutzl saws look interesting for a low priced new saw.

Great saws.
I like them right behind the huskys. I think they have a good mix of the qualities I like on stihls and huskys.
I think you seen those piles of saw logs in the scrounging firewood thread. Trying to get a few different saws together to play around with in those piles. Crappy weather here in michigan as you know been wanting to get the pl4 out to run before I post feedback on eBay. Could be worse 2019 we had a alot of snow this time of year

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211115-075259_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-075259_Messages.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 6
I think you seen those piles of saw logs in the scrounging firewood thread. Trying to get a few different saws together to play around with in those piles. Crappy weather here in michigan as you know been wanting to get the pl4 out to run before I post feedback on eBay. Could be worse 2019 we had a alot of snow this time of year
We have nothing here now, it all melted yesterday.
I have a few saws to ship this morning, then I'm going to work on the pole barn a bit, I skipped it yesterday because of the snow/weather. Hopefully I can get the rest of the half trusses on the other lean to and the facia installed by tomorrow, then I have to find my dark grey drip edge. They want $8 a 10' stick at Home Depot with a 50 stick minimum lol.

I like the 590 almost bought one, still may if one comes up cheap they are a good value. Depends on what you’re doing with it, wouldn’t take a 590 out to go clear brush or cut up limbs all day, unless I felt like killing myself. To me the 261 is still light enough to fall in the light saw category but outrips anything small, but can still cut up decent sized trees in a pinch. I had an 028, a 455 and a 340 all at one time, now I have a 261…that’s it….it covers all those bases.

I like the 590 almost bought one, still may if one comes up cheap they are a good value. Depends on what you’re doing with it, wouldn’t take a 590 out to go clear brush or cut up limbs all day, unless I felt like killing myself. To me the 261 is still light enough to fall in the light saw category but outrips anything small, but can still cut up decent sized trees in a pinch. I had an 028, a 455 and a 340 all at one time, now I have a 261…that’s it….it covers all those bases.
Okie, I agree with you completely, 90% of my cutting is done with the 261 these days. It has good power and is easy to handle. If I am bucking some larger rounds or cutting a tree over 20 inches and the 590 is around I’ll grab that and enjoy the power it has over the 261.

Back