Bucking: What I learned today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first time I recall sticking my Pioneer was in a standing dead Doug fir in beautiful Buckley WA (10 years ± back). The gent that cut her out must have been a tree topper. He made one plunge cut all the way through the tree then 2 parallel cuts to remove what would have normally been a wedge. My lady picks up every scrap of wood that hits the forest floor and I thought this technique was a good idea and have used it since. I hadn't thought about it P but your evaluators are correct. A little wiggle is almost automatic and it does help with kickback. Once the tip is buried, slow and steady provides a smooth cut, try to hurry and you can feel it fighting you.

In this thread so far, no one has said to stand to one side of the saw and never over the chain when bucking.

OK. I'm going out on a limb here. I always thought that there was only one side of the saw to stand on while bucking. The left side of the saw. Right hand holding the throttle handle and operating the throttle, and the left hand holding the front handle close to the bar. Now by standing behind the saw while running it, how can you stand over the chain, and bar.
I've been running saws for almost 30 years, and I've learned a lot. I also have learned a lot, since I joined this website in April. Now if I'm missing something here, fill me in, if there is another way to run a chain saw, and how to not stand over a chain and bar while bucking. Please fill me in.
Bruce.

OK. I'm going out on a limb here. I always thought that there was only one side of the saw to stand on while bucking. The left side of the saw. Right hand holding the throttle handle and operating the throttle, and the left hand holding the front handle close to the bar. Now by standing behind the saw while running it, how can you stand over the chain, and bar.
I've been running saws for almost 30 years, and I've learned a lot. I also have learned a lot, since I joined this website in April. Now if I'm missing something here, fill me in, if there is another way to run a chain saw, and how to not stand over a chain and bar while bucking. Please fill me in.
Bruce.

Bruce, you have been using a saw the right way. I have seen, many times, people standing over the saw, if it kicks back hard it will get them between the eyes.

There is another way to buck than standing to the left side of the saw, and that is standing on the right side. This is when it is unsafe to run the saw in the normal fashion, like a log, rock or tree in the way. You can hold the saw lefthanded, with your left on the trigger.

Bruce, you have been using a saw the right way. I have seen, many times, people standing over the saw, if it kicks back hard it will get them between the eyes.

There is another way to buck than standing to the left side of the saw, and that is standing on the right side. This is when it is unsafe to run the saw in the normal fashion, like a log, rock or tree in the way. You can hold the saw left handed, with your left on the trigger.
OK. Had me confused for a minute there, and I had to ask. Over 30 years ago, a friend of mine worked for a crew that did barn renovations. One day they were discussing how to remove a section of a load bearing beam, safety during coffee break.
The owner came in, and started complaining it was taking so long, to do the renovations. The for man tried to explain, that safety had to take place in doing this job properly.
The owner said B.S, and said he would show the crew how it was done. He went and grabbed the wheelbarrow, placed it under the beam. he grabbed the chain saw, started it up, and climbed into the wheelbarrow.
He placed one foot on either side of the rim of the wheelbarrow, and started cutting. The chainsaw chain caught a nail, and sent the owner flying. Some how the chainsaw spun around, while the chain was still moving, sliced through both checks of his mouth, all the way back to the back of his mouth.
My friend didn't know weather or not the owner was dead, or alive, until he got up, and run for the house, got his wife to rush him to the hospital.
Here is a prime example some people should never operate a chainsaw. There are some guys that are just plain scary to be around, while they operate these machines.
One guy I refuse to be around is my Mother's Boy friend. This man thinks he knows everything about everything, and its his way of no way. My Mother can't figure out why I refuse to be around him, while he is working with a chainsaw. This man, if you want to call him that, will never listen, because he is right no matter what. I can't stand people like this.
Bruce.

The owner said B.S, and said he would show the crew how it was done. He went and grabbed the wheelbarrow, placed it under the beam. he grabbed the chain saw, started it up, and climbed into the wheelbarrow.
He placed one foot on either side of the rim of the wheelbarrow, and started cutting. The chainsaw chain caught a nail, and sent the owner flying. Some how the chainsaw spun around, while the chain was still moving, sliced through both checks of his mouth, all the way back to the back of his mouth.
My friend didn't know weather or not the owner was dead, or alive, until he got up, and run for the house, got his wife to rush him to the hospital.
Here is a prime example some people should never operate a chainsaw. There are some guys that are just plain scary to be around, while they operate these machines.

Jeez, that must not have been a pretty sight :censored:
We all learn by mistakes, but people should know a chainsaw is not very forgiving.

Jeez, that must not have been a pretty sight :censored:
We all learn by mistakes, but people should know a chainsaw is not very forgiving.

It's just plain and simple ram miness, and refusing to use common sense, or common courtesy, that causes lots of problems. My Mothers Boyfriend, I refuse to work with. He is too damned ram my, and will never listen. It's his way or no way, safe or not safe, it doesn't matter. My Mother can't figure out why I don't want any thing to do with him, while working in the bush. Well DUH!
Bruce.

The chainsaw chain caught a nail, and sent the owner flying. Some how the chainsaw spun around, while the chain was still moving, sliced through both checks of his mouth, all the way back to the back of his mouth.
Thats darwins theory at work, some people are just too dumb to stay alive.
I don't care as long as they only hurt themselves not others.

That's darwin's theory at work, some people are just too dumb to stay alive.
I don't care as long as they only hurt themselves not others.

It seems that there are far too many operators out there work with this theory. When I was 19 years old, I drove a small delivery truck, for a Building Supply Company. I had a guy that was assigned to me from construction side, to help me make deliveries.
This guy knew everything, and couldn't be told anything. One day, my mistake, I told him to put the forklift away after I was done loading the truck, while I secured the load.
The truck, and forklift where facing the same direction. Instead of backing up the forklift and turn behind the truck, he put in forward, turned the wheels, and pinned me to the side of the truck with the back end of the fork lift. 2 fractured ribs, all the cartilage and ligaments of my right side rib area where torn, from my breast bone, to my spine.
2 1/2 years later back injury caused from it but healed in 8 months. 18 years later, my back is almost totally screwed, from this incident. If I don't feel safe working with anybody, I just walk away, and stay away. I still have lots of problems because of this single incident.
Lucky for me that this happened in February, and had multiple layers of clothing on to keep warm. If it was this time of year, I wouldn't be here to tell this story.
Bruce.

OK. Had me confused for a minute there, and I had to ask. Over 30 years ago, a friend of mine worked for a crew that did barn renovations. One day they were discussing how to remove a section of a load bearing beam, safety during coffee break.
The owner came in, and started complaining it was taking so long, to do the renovations. The for man tried to explain, that safety had to take place in doing this job properly.

One guy I refuse to be around is my Mother's Boy friend. This man thinks he knows everything about everything, and its his way of no way. My Mother can't figure out why I refuse to be around him, while he is working with a chainsaw. This man, if you want to call him that, will never listen, because he is right no matter what. I can't stand people like this.
Bruce.

There ain't no cure for STUPID......................:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back