Bucking with aftermarket/big dog spikes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ceddarkerf here using mntngals tablet.
The thing i find big dawgs useful for me personally is butt flare when cutting clutch side down with a wrap handle. Gives the powerhead enough space so the handle wont side load on the flare. One of the funniest things ive ever seen was watchin a guy run one of treeslingers ported saws and bogging it and overreving it hand itback to slinger and exclaim Your saw doesnt seem that powerful even with a razor sharp chain. Its all about experience

Howdy,
I'm not sure when you bought them but, we have a 30 day satisfaction gaurantee. So even if you don't like the way they part their hair, you can return them. That aside, I looked at our wording and our title says "felling dogs" but, the copy says "falling and bucking". The "bucking" part is coming out. As far as I'm concerned, if you're using dogs for bucking it's just a crutch for a dull chain.

Regards
Gregg

I get what you're saying and I've done that myself, but wouldn't it also be helpful if you're just trying to get the most out of the saw in the cut? I think a number of folks here would say it's a good idea to keep the saw at full throttle but pulling hard enough to run less than max rpm. Putting a bit of pressure on the saw would seem to do that. LOL, I guess by asking I'm just showing my ignorance.

another thing i find useful with them is when your bellied over a big log making your back cut on the buck , gives you suport when your one handing it.

To be totally honest, Your saw has ghetto written all over it . 20" bar ,huge dogs bolted on with hardware that has the thread hanging out over one half inch . Go with the stock dogs ,and be happy with the way it cuts over your other saw . JMHO .

+1

The oversized dogs aren't needed unless you're dealing with REALLY BIG trees with bark that's hard to get a hold of otherwise.

Now that we've hammered on this guy for a while- kudos for at least making an attempt to pimp out your saw a little. That's always fun. My buddies often give me a hard time for buying chainsaw stuff I obviously don't really need.

In short- do what you like.

thanks for the responses everyone. i got busy, and was away from the computer last night.

i will be removing these from the saw and reinstalling the original spike. i'll see about looking into the less aggressive stihl set. bailey's online product review is going to hear from me as well. this is a product that is pure junk. looks neat, totally useless.

all that being said, anyone want to buy a set of slightly used monster dogs? :hmm3grin2orange:

-matt
PM me a price

thanks for the responses everyone. i got busy, and was away from the computer last night.

i will be removing these from the saw and reinstalling the original spike. i'll see about looking into the less aggressive stihl set. bailey's online product review is going to hear from me as well. this is a product that is pure junk. looks neat, totally useless.

all that being said, anyone want to buy a set of slightly used monster dogs? :hmm3grin2orange:

-matt

Not useless. Just not useful for what you're doing. I see what you mean though.

OK, i found this:

Bailey's - Pro-Safety Felling Dogs for Stihl 044/064/066/MS 440 and 660

I know the caveat about heavy duty clutch covers was *not* there when I bought them, or I would have passed on the purchase. Looks like I am not the only one to have issues with this particular spike and the 441. Will pull the original receipt when I am back in the office.

Not certain, but I think the early 441 may have not had the holes in the clutch cover. I know when I looked at the 441 on the Stihl site the clutch cover did not have holes in the pic, but mine does. The different clutch cover would not change the position or angle of the spikes as the outer must line up with the inner to allow the use of the roller-catcher. So this may have been a disclaimer in case there are/were 441 that had a clutch cover w/out holes for the outer set of spikes.

dw

Latest posts

Back