Budget chip truck: Garbage truck=chip truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mowingman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking of building a chip hauling truck out of a rear loading garbage truck. The reason is, my budget is low. Chip body trucks are expensive, but good garbage trucks are dirt cheap. Here is my idea.
Remove the hydraulic lift rear packer from a garbage truck. Fabricate a tailgate that would fold down when dumping the chips, using the hydraulics off the garbage loading assy. These trucks either dump, or have an ejecter that shoves the garbage out. Either style would get the chips unloaded. The tailgate would hydraulically fold down when it is time to dump.
From looking at truck costs, I believe I could save $8000.00, at least, on the upfront cost of the truck.
Am I crazy, or does this seem like a sane idea.

Awesome.

I won't be much practical help, but... That sounds like a great idea! One of things that the other tree service guys will drive by and so no S%^T, that is perfect!

That is a good idea....Keep in mind those "bustles" are quite heavy. You remove that much weight from the rear of the truck you may want to lighten up the springs as well.

There is a company "Labrie" that makes a side load dump body. There is no large packing blade in the front, but all you would need to do is cut a hole in the rear door for your chipper chute. When you need to dump, open the rear door and raise the body.

I have never seen a rear load garbage truck that dumps, they all have packing blades that push the load out.

I have seen diesel-powered garbage trucks, in good running condition go for as little as $2500.00 at local auctions here. They have all been Peterbuilt or GMC trucks with rear loader bodys. The one's on Ebay usually go cheap also. There are three, Ford diesels, on Ebay now, that I bet go for under $5000.00 each.

I have heard of this idea... numerous times in fact. It seems the rear loaders are the way to go, and the stories I have heard there was no chipper used what so ever. Toss brush in and compact it is what I have heard. It does sound like a novel idea in alot of respects though these trucks are very heavy, require CDL and mechanical knowledge since just about any garbage truck over 10 years old is about wore out

daveyclimber said:
I have heard of this idea... numerous times in fact. It seems the rear loaders are the way to go, and the stories I have heard there was no chipper used what so ever. Toss brush in and compact it is what I have heard. It does sound like a novel idea in alot of respects though these trucks are very heavy, require CDL and mechanical knowledge since just about any garbage truck over 10 years old is about wore out

Good point on a 10 year old garbage truck.

As for using a garbage truck to pack brush, I can tell you that it takes more trips to dispose of the brush as it would if you chipped it into the box. For some reason, and I dont know why, those packers wont pack brush like they pack trash. Not to mention the cycle times are a bit slow.....Im sure if you had two guys, one loading and one keeping the blade moving you would still have two guys waiting between cycle times.

I plan on removing any of the packer hydraulics I do not need to empty the load. That would reduce potential maint. problems with the hydraulic syatem and simplify things a lot. I have a CDL, so that is no problem. Insurance and annual registration will be a major cost factor. I think a single rear axle truck, instead of a tandem, would be better, due to lower annual opertaing costs.
If I build one, I will let youall know how it comes out, and post photos.

I plan on removing any of the packer hydraulics I do not need to empty the load. That would reduce potential maint. problems with the hydraulic syatem and simplify things a lot. I have a CDL, so that is no problem. Insurance and annual registration will be a major cost factor. I think a single rear axle truck, instead of a tandem, would be better, due to lower annual opertaing costs.
If I build one, I will let youall know how it comes out, and post photos.
I have to figure out if there is a market for chipping and hauloff service here. Only one, of the 10 tree service companies here use a truck and chipper setup. The others stack everything on trailers and haul it to the landfill. I have one large tree service willing to use my service, but need to line up a few more. I am not in the tree service business, so I am no competition for them. If I can price this right, they should be able to save a lot of time and money by not loading/hauling/and unloading all this debris themselves. Homeowners might be another market, as they have to pay our town a pretty steep fee to have brush and tree limbs picked up at the curb.

Back