Bug eyez, use 'em? Like? Hate?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrataTree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yesterday a coworker got his safety glasses knocked off and his cornea scratched all in one fell swoop. So today the boss has a safety meeting and says face screens will be mandatory from now on...I don't mind the screen shields too much but seems like a twig could still get under 'em so I'm wondering what you guys think of the Bug eyez. Seems like a good option but never used 'em. Any comments welcome. Thanks.

Hey Del, thanks for the reply. I guess your right, probably not gonna find the perfect eye protection, personal preference is gonna play a big role. I think I'm gonna grab a pair and try 'em out.
BTW...I always enjoy reading your comments on this site. You got a good sense of humor. I've busted up laughin more than once. C-ya on the threads, peace out.

Yep, that's exactly what I mean. Like I said, I don't mind em but just curious about other options ya know. The screens seem to not stay up above hard hat very well, always fallin back down. And when gettin in and out of the rig, when its up I always tweak my neck a bit when the screen hits the upper door frame. Anyway, the boss wants us to use eye pro with screen so the options are fairly limited. So I take it you are happy with the screen face shield pictured in the link? Guess they just take some gettin used to. I hate when I spit and forget its down. :(

Been using them for 20 years. Don't seem to notice it much anymore. Sometimes hard to see into chipper with sun at the right angle, seem to get a lot of glare/reflection off the screen or I'm just getting old.

My guys put them on the equipment request sheet and I order them but they never seem to use them. They just wear plain safety glasses.

I'm starting to get used to the screens. My glasses are always foggin up and that's an even bigger frustration than the screen, so hopin to find an option that works for the boss and keeps the sweat out of my eyes!!! So far the best combo I've used is the screen with a sweat band in my hard hat. But I'm hopin to do better still... Gotta wash that sweat band every night or it gets REAL nasty:msp_thumbdn:

all ppe is good and worthy to consider just pause thou as some start to think as all covered up no harm can come and so then may start taking short cuts in not 1st avoiding removing controlling work place hazards. I seen high rise of saw hits to legs after chaps become mandatory here and workers not securing loose aloft as start to reckon the hard hat will save them.

PPE is the last on hazard control list not your 1st. Hard hats glasses PPE gear often tells me a work place is not acting thinking safe just on surface showing safe

Perhaps ask the boss and team mates how this co work got to be hit by sumthin with such force as to deliver a blow enuff to remove glasses and still harm his eye

I like them in the summer for removals with alot of big wood on the iron.
They do not sweat up and are cooler. They will get placed on the hard hat full time again.
For pruning not so much, I find them a bit weird to look out from for any detail.
Something about the glare from the screen.
Safety glasses are bigger annoyance for me.But when on the ground and lopping into the sun
they are 1st choice.
Cheers

Maybe keep in mind, I believe that the screen face shields are meant to be used in addition to safety glasses (or bug eyes). I know that with the plastic eye shields on climbing helmets they remind you to still wear glasses. I used to use a one on my kask n found that I really still needed glasses. But it was great to have shield when cutting big wood off the ground. And kinda funny but I really liked it when using a pole saw n the chips are drifting down like snow flakes. Pole sawing always seems to get a tiny chip in my eye. Lol

Hey Tree Ace,
Was wondering since you have experience with the shields on the Kasks, if you used a clear or smoke shield. I'm thinking of picking one up and not sure which shield to get, kinda wish they offered a metal screen option also. I do most the pole sawing usually so thanks for mentioning that. Early this spring I was on the ground and actually thought for a few seconds it was spitting now...then I realized, nope, just the climber sending sawdust down, lol...

In the UK we have no choice but to wear mesh visa and hard hat.
I am all for PPE and cringe when i see people without any or very little in the way of PPE.

Hey Tree Ace,
Was wondering since you have experience with the shields on the Kasks, if you used a clear or smoke shield. I'm thinking of picking one up and not sure which shield to get, kinda wish they offered a metal screen option also. I do most the pole sawing usually so thanks for mentioning that. Early this spring I was on the ground and actually thought for a few seconds it was spitting now...then I realized, nope, just the climber sending sawdust down, lol...
I used a clear one. My reasoning was that if it was sunny out I would have on sunglasses (safety) anyway and if it wasnt sunny then it would be better to have the clear visor. I no longer use a visor though. I dont miss it enough to put up with the extra weight. Believe it or not I can tell a difference. I did invest in a pretty good pair of clear safety glasses (3m) that dont fog up as much as the super cheap ones. They cost like 25$. They will fog up though if its muggy out enough. Dont let me talk you out of a visor though. They are def good to have.

Yea! Cringe when I see lack of PPE also! Just last week, no joke, driving between jobs saw a big local company out in our neck of the woods and was stunned to see a three man crew doin some work with a grapple chipper(had never seen one in action before)and not a single one was wearing any PPE! Guy running the grapple and two saw guys ...no hard hats no eye or ear pro and NO CHAPS! WTF!:msp_confused:

Hey, thanks tree ace and everyone who has replied. Really appreciate the feedback from you all, cheers and stay safe!

I've tried the kask visors, and they just get scratched up too fast for my liking. I can't stand having a dirty/scratched visor, really sends me nuts. +1 on wishing that kask offered a mesh visor roughly the same size/shape as their plastic ones.

I buy safety sunglasses by the box, I looked around and tried every pair I could till I found some that fit well and were comfortable. They only cost about $4/pair, so I don't mind it when they get scratched/broken/lost. It's hot in the summer in aus, and I do sweat a lot. Wish there were better options out there because I like my eyes! I agree with what was said earlier about PPE only being a backup chute though, your primary chute is always going to be safer working practices. I always take that extra couple seconds to get myself in a better work position so I'm always well clear of the rigging, and the work is going away from me. I also try to cut from upwind which helps a lot with sawdust. Backbarring can help a bit too. I also try not to ever cut level with my face which is something I see a lot of guys doing.

Shaun

Yep, that's exactly what I mean. Like I said, I don't mind em but just curious about other options ya know. The screens seem to not stay up above hard hat very well, always fallin back down. And when gettin in and out of the rig, when its up I always tweak my neck a bit when the screen hits the upper door frame. Anyway, the boss wants us to use eye pro with screen so the options are fairly limited. So I take it you are happy with the screen face shield pictured in the link? Guess they just take some gettin used to. I hate when I spit and forget its down. :(

Yep. i dont mind em, they dont bother me at all. The Husqvarna screen/helmet does not drop on your eyes accidentally just like that, it almost locks in "up open" position but i know that few cheaper ones dont keep the screen up well at all, just like in welding helmets, they slowly slide on your face when they should not. Theres also the ear protector/screen version, without the helmet, which is nice when you dont need protection from falling trees etc or when its hot. You can leave the included hat like cloth off from it as well, i have it that way, just to keep it cooler. The older screen stuff was made out of some..stainless ? mesh that started to glance , blind you, from sunshine projecting from the mesh itself, but the ones i use now, are brass? and they dont shine from sunshine and stress your eyes. I drilled small holes to the ear protectors, to keep sweat away and also, made a tiny hole to the lower part of ear protectors so i could run a mp3 player, to them to hear radio instead of saw so much :msp_biggrin:

Verkkovisiiri-kuulonsuojainyhdistelmä - Suojavarusteet ja työvaatteet

I've tried the kask visors, and they just get scratched up too fast for my liking. I can't stand having a dirty/scratched visor, really sends me nuts. +1 on wishing that kask offered a mesh visor roughly the same size/shape as their plastic ones.
I have a mesh visor on my Kask with my ear muffs, I think I might have gotten it from Wes Spur.

Hey got here late! YES I use Bug eyez. I have for 17 years. Order them right for the company in a 10-12 pair at a time. All of my guys use them too.

Great to hear all the feedback from those who responded! Thanks again! Had a twig sneak under my mesh face shield today, first time. Def. gonna try out the bug eyez!

Latest posts

Back