Bug off shirts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trentausherman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was looking in the L.L. Bean mag today and I saw a shirt in there that are supposed to keep the bugs off of you. I am just wondering if anyone has comments on these if they work or not.

P.S. Dont want to spend the money and still get eaten.

Thanks

I'm sure them bug shirts work pretty well!! As long as your in the buying mood I'm selling a bridge that my grandad willed me that separates the upper and lower peninsula of Michigan. Its a fine bridge with allot of fancy cables. If ya do bye it can ya just make into a one way road going south? Ill give ya a 20% discount if ya do. :biggrinbounce2:

I wouldn't count on it working no better than bug spray.....................:mad:

I have seen guys hunting in these type of clothes and they do work, however, what is going to keep your face from being the target of all those hungry bugs that can't get through your shirt?

Fine mesh net shirts WITH HOODS are mandatory equipment in the marsh down here. There is a gnat down here with a body the size of a pin head and teeth the size of a lion's that gets so bad in the marsh on warm days in the winter and early spring you very literally cannot breath or even see without a "GnatNet". Be sure to get one big enough to fit over a wide brim hat. You need the brim of the hat to hold the net away from your face and neck, because mosquitos can bite through the net wherever it touches your skin.

The hoods do restrict your visibility a little, but it beats the heck out of death by asphyxiation and slow torture.

These shirts have been around for many years and as I recall , were supposed to be treated with a bug killer , not repellant , and allowed to dry 24 hours before wearing . What we used for treatment was called Perma Kill and it would kill any bug that landed on this shirt/jacket for up to 4 weeks after treatment . This jacket was so effective (with the treatment) that after prolonged use in a bug infested environment, it would dramatically reduce the population of biting bugs, especially if there were numerous people wearing them , almost to the point of erradication ! I remember that when this concept 1st came out , it was highly praised by world renowned outdoors people . and was scientifically tested and won awards for a best new product . It has obviosly stood the test of time .

that sounds like something i would really want touching my skin. up to four weeks? wow. must be potent stuff.

hang a bounce dryer sheet outta the back of your ballcap...keep most of the critters away..at least in my case..

the BUG shirts work GREAT....BUT only only if your doing activity that does NOT involve: tree climbing, pack wearing, work, etc.

they last about 3 minutes when tree climbing, then they get ripped and shredded (even quicker in rough bark trees.).

Useless when wearing a full body fall harness.

Useless when Treeclimbing

Useless when hauling brush.

GREAT for walking the woods or sitting in the woods, camping etc.

Back