Builder Question:Stihl 460 Crankcase volume vs 440 Crankcase volume

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bitzer

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
For those of you have have had both saws open, is there a noticable difference in the volume as in CCs between the 460 and 440 crankcase. What I'm saying is that if you filled the case with a liquid would the 460 hold more fluid? What I am getting at is what makes a 460 topend on a 440 crankcase faster?. I have read that many (440/460 hybrids) have been done and they are faster and for obvious reasons lighter (440 being lighter than a 460) with the same or more power than the 460 topend on a 460. I know that the crankshaft is different on the two saws and possibly the 440 crank is lighter, so this could be a reason for speed. Also if the crankcase capacity is smaller would you get a faster impulse due to greater pressure from a larger piston that normally works with a larger crankcase capacity? The differences I suppose could be negligible if small, but I would think with the larger piston over a smaller crankcase that greater fuel velocity and impulse would be achieved. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

nanuk

nanuk

ArboristSite Guru
does it matter?

I was wondering the same thing, and recall discussion elsewhere....

here's a thought... the 039 has a tiny crankcase! and it seems to work Ok, so perhaps size of CC is on no import!

Latest posts