Building a Barn- Got any pics?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drive_1305

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This may be a little off topic but... I've been talking to a guy at work that says him and his dad are wanting to build a barn-garage with a loft. He said they were going to cut some cedar for the post. Then I think he said was going to carry some oak and maybe other wood to the mill for the siding and framing. Can you use freshly milled lumber or do you need to let it dry out? Then again maybe he was going to sell some logs to pay for the lumber Im not sure. Anyone got any pics of a barn they've built using rough sawn lumber and poles you cut?

I told him he needed to get some friends together and have a barn rasing and big cookout. He thought that was a great idea. I told him probably could find plenty of guys to eat but not work. :laugh:

Here's a pic of a small rough pole shed. I suppose he would use similar poles then knotch them for the framing.

This may be a little off topic but... I've been talking to a guy at work that says him and his dad are wanting to build a barn-garage with a loft. He said they were going to cut some cedar for the post. Then I think he said was going to carry some oak and maybe other wood to the mill for the siding and framing. Can you use freshly milled lumber or do you need to let it dry out? Then again maybe he was going to sell some logs to pay for the lumber Im not sure. Anyone got any pics of a barn they've built using rough sawn lumber and poles you cut?

I told him he needed to get some friends together and have a barn rasing and big cookout. He thought that was a great idea. I told him probably could find plenty of guys to eat but not work. :laugh:

Here's a pic of a small rough pole shed. I suppose he would use similar poles then knotch them for the framing.

I dont yet know how to post links of previous threads but there are some pics of barns and cabins in this forum that people have built with lumber that they have milled. Go back and search a bit and Im sure that you will find some. As far as framing with green lumber and posts it seems like you hear about it being done quite often, you just have to allow for shrinkage when you build. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back