Building a chainsaw winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No hate here.

Two stroke one of those Clinton 2.5 hp panther engines or a reo two stroke engine. Using a clutch with a chain sprocket #35/#41 using four sprockets with a mechanical advantage. Now you need a brake band on the clutch drum. A hand locking brake assembly I think Coleman’s surplus has them. Get a five lug rim and spindle for your cable hook.
It is a joke between LeadFarmer and I.
How can you not see that

No hate here.

Two stroke one of those Clinton 2.5 hp panther engines or a reo two stroke engine. Using a clutch with a chain sprocket #35/#41 using four sprockets with a mechanical advantage. Now you need a brake band on the clutch drum. A hand locking brake assembly I think Coleman’s surplus has them. Get a five lug rim and spindle for your cable hook.
Is this the way you would build one?

Here is a video of the Lewis winch, the guy starts the chainsaw at about 6 minutes in to the video. The speed of the pull should give some idea of how low the gearing needs to be.
On a manual boat winch the rpm is perhaps 1 turn a second / 60 turn a minute, and it can be really tough to turn with a long handle pulling a wet 4 meters / 13 feet log up hill and on bumpy ground.

I'm quite interested in this because a Lewis winch is quite expensive, actually at a similar cost as the smaller dedicated Honda kind of portable gas powered winches.
I'm considering using a 018/MS180 engine with the simple cylinder/bottom pan engine design, and to use pulleys / V-belts to create whatever reduction I need. The smallest Honda winch I think is about 35cc 4 stroke.
So just using the original clutch with a no-tooth chain driving a sprocket on an axle with a v-belt pulley beside it and from there you go.

Could be fun...

Yes the winch has to be anchored quite well. When it has a load on it it can cause injuries quite rapidly. I often found a substantial tree or trunk. It can not slip.
Snatch blocks make one feel like superman as there is nothing that can stop you. There are a number of bicycle disk brakes that can slow your load down. I bought a go cart disk brake assy, but it is rarely used. You could say my winch is a chain saw powered one gone wild. Thanks

Attachments

• treework9.jpg
    treework9.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 16
Yes the winch has to be anchored quite well. When it has a load on it it can cause injuries quite rapidly. I often found a substantial tree or trunk. It can not slip.
Snatch blocks make one feel like superman as there is nothing that can stop you. There are a number of bicycle disk brakes that can slow your load down. I bought a go cart disk brake assy, but it is rarely used. You could say my winch is a chain saw powered one gone wild. Thanks
The chainsaw safety break should be able to hold a load

My ideas the way I would build one is subject to change.

To me the winch drum would be part of the subframe that runs from the front drum winch, to the rear anchor line, a all one price structure. The motor mounts separate from the structure. The motor isn’t involved in the strength of the subframe.

Lauson and Briggs had a cement mixer engine with a gear reduction on it. Add a drum brake and a clutch.

Surplus military brake handle assembly,

https://colemans.com/emergency-brake-handle

Latest posts

Back