Building a hydraulic saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I get a call from a guy today, needs some help, he wants to put a hyd. chainsaw on the front of his minni excavater. It's a Bobcat 325, 14GPM aux. flow, no problem there. His reasoning? He has a pacemaker and can't run a regular saw, the electomagnetic field can cause problems with them, so thats out of the way.

I have seen them on proccessors, no poblem there, he is a great fabricator with all the needed tools. I can find the bars and chain, but what kind of motor am I looking for? I realize I can change speed imperfections with the sprocket, but I need to be close to start with. Any help?
Thanks guys,
Andy

spinner motor

andy if you can find a spinnner motor off from a large truck sander that would work fine most are made by charlyne ? spelling. these will spin up real fast and you cant stop them. sanders are swenson.

Well, I can get keyed sprockets in 20 and 25mm, I am figuring 10,000 rpm fo motor speed, I found Haldes has motors that fast, just not sure of the shaft configurations yet.
Am I on the right path? Anyone?
Andy

andy if you can find a spinnner motor off from a large truck sander that would work fine most are made by charlyne ? spelling. these will spin up real fast and you cant stop them. sanders are swenson.

Been looking, not finding one yet, I am also worried about parts availability in the future, I know I can get Charlyin parts cheap enough locally, but can't find that motor yet, go figure!!!
Andy

timber wolf

Andy I work next to the timberwolf factory and they use hyd. saws on there processors. I'll check it out next week if you would like?

pm cylinderservice heere on AS. he could tell ya straight up.

That is a good sugestion, I was hopping he would chime in, I much preffer to do these things in an open forum so if someone else wanted to do the same thing all of the legwork is right here for them to follow.
Andy

This sounds like problems....

Wait for the next best 2006 thread....Man cuts down house with redneck made contraption with a motorized saw blade on wheels....

Is your splitter done yet? :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Just got the couplers, need the wife to go back to work so I have time to go to the machine shop and make the cage.

He lives in PA and will build it all himself, I am just finding the parts and helping work out the design. He thinks I know a thing or two about saws, I won't tell him any different if you dont:jester:
Andy

This sounds like problems....

Wait for the next best 2006 thread....Man cuts down house with redneck made contraption with a motorized saw blade on wheels....

well, to me, it sounds better than 'scientists' spend 5 years and 50 billion dollars to send a r/c car to mars that moves 4 feet then breaks down.
-Ralph ;)

Interesting idea, a lot more complicated than he is after. May have to make a phone call tues. and see who their source for motors is though!!! Thanks,
Andy

Why not try to convert a linemans hydro saw? They're always avail on e-bay. Seems only a lineman co's like them, I ended up with a couple myself at one time and sold them on there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LINEMAN-TREE-TR...ryZ57118QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They are only rated for 3-4GPM flow and up to a 16" bar, already thought of that! He needs something a lot heavier, he wants to swing the house to do the felling, then rotate the saw 180deg to buck it up for verneer, minimum of 10ft lengths, then he will put the bucket back on and ues the bucket/thumb combination to haul them out.
Andy

Latest posts

Back