Building a splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBrown

more saws than I need
Reaction score
I am planning on building a splitter this summer. I know that i could buy a smaller one cheaper than building my own. I am planning on a bigger machine though and hope to buy some of the parts cheap. I have a 6 inch bore by 42 inch stroke cylinder found that is new. I figure if i run a 28 gpm two stage pump it will be about the same speed as some of the store bought splitters. He has some H-beams, a 8" wide 1/2" thick and a 12" wide 5/8" thick. Not sure if i should go with the bigger beam or if boxing the ends of the beam will be enough. With this size of a cylinder I should be able to run a four way in most wood. I want the longer length for the blocks that come in long but not long enough for two 24" pieces. I can burn wood 42" long in my stove so should work fine. I am thinking of going with a boom type lift, a power swivel boom with a set of log tongs on a powered strap to lift the big pieces. A large outfeed grate with side grates. Also am considering self propelling it. Was going to mount a splitter on a cub cadet but this is going to be too big. Any suggestions

Thanks

definately should post some pics when you get it done.

thats going to take some time to put together, a whole bunch of hydro hose and one expensive motor/pump combo and a pretty stiff valve pack - but it will be a bad ass when done.

I know the pump is $400, I have to find a 18hp or so motor I am thinking. A small diesel would be nice but I do have an old 18hp b&s opposed twin. Was thinking of adding a small pump for aux controls, have access to a bunch of valves, pumps, some joysticks even, all new unused parts. I can get the cylinder I am thinking about for $250, this guy has shelves full of parts.

I know the pump is $400, I have to find a 18 hp or so motor I am thinking. A small diesel would be nice but I do have an old 18hp b&s opposed twin. Was thinking of adding a small pump for aux controls, have access to a bunch of valves, pumps, some joysticks even, all new unused parts. I can get the cylinder I am thinking about for $250, this guy has shelves full of parts.
Small diesels are expensive compared to gas engines of equivalent horsepower, but remember that the diesel delivers far more torque, which is what you need to drive that big pump. Horsepower is not a good comparison. A 10 to 12 Hp diesel would probably out drive that 18 Hp opposed twin gas engine.

However, if you already have the Briggs on board, I'd try it first. Just my $0.02

it would provide the greater torque with a smaller hp output, true.

but what would the effect of a much lower max rpm be on hydro pump setups? i would think, if you couldn't find a pump for the slower speeds, you'd need to setup some kind of a reduction setup, motor to pump. seems like a pia, but its been done, just no idea where to buy something like that and for me, making pulleys/sprockets is not worth the time.

don't forget the lines man. i've done a couple where i've thought i was right on target for budget and then blown 4 or 5 bills on lines and fittings. none of my setups are as complicated as the one you're talkin' about.

even if you had the press and dies yourself, you'd still blow a few hundred at least plumbing that rig. i'd guess close to 8 bills to have 'em made, thats almost a wag, but i'd bet its at least that.

Good point Nick on the pump rpm - If it's rated at 3600 or so rpm, you won't want to drive it slower with a lower rpm engine. Performance will really stink. Also, for Tbrown - 42" wood would suck, I would hate to have to move that crap around. Just my 2 cents here, but I wouldn't use that ram, just too big. Resale value on a splitter like that would be about ?? It would be of little use to a guy that splits 16 to 24 inch wood. Up to you of course, but you did ask for suggestions -

Good point Nick on the pump rpm - If it's rated at 3600 or so rpm, you won't want to drive it slower with a lower rpm engine. Performance will really stink. Also, for Tbrown - 42" wood would suck, I would hate to have to move that crap around. Just my 2 cents here, but I wouldn't use that ram, just too big. Resale value on a splitter like that would be about ?? It would be of little use to a guy that splits 16 to 24 inch wood. Up to you of course, but you did ask for suggestions -
Mike, I think most pumps are rated at over 3000 RPM and that's why you seldom see a diesel driving them.

I also agree about the wood length. Most cordwood fireplaces usually are stoked by two men handling the logs.

This is a good opportunity to mention my project. We are building a splitter and have a 15.5 hp engine. We have given thought to belt driving a shaft and coupling the shaft to the pump. We have looked at 22gpm pumps and
28. The advantage would be the ability to overdrive the pump given that we have a larger than necessary engine for the 22gpm and we could fine tune the 28. Besides that, engine/pump mounts for the vertical shaft Briggs that we have are proving difficult to find. Thoughts?

Your splitter sounds like mine. Although I have a 5 1/2" cylinder and a 36" stroke. I am only running it on a 16 gpm pump and it is so slow. When I get the funds I am going to get a bigger pump.

I cut all my wood at 16", so what I did on my splitter, I welded some steel on the beam at 24" so when I hit my valve back the cylinder only goes back to 24" instead of 36". Also, because my splitter goes so slow I got a 2-way detent valve, so all I have to do is lay the wood on the beam and hit the valve forward and when it goes to the end of the stroke it stopes. I now need to get it set up so when it goes to the end of the stroke it will return back too.

I was hoping for 36 inch but the 42 is what was there. I like the 6 inch bore because it shouldn't ever stop. I want the longer length for the few pieces that are too long, and too dirty to cut shorter. As far as pump mounting bracket, figured on having to fab one to fit.

I was hoping for 36 inch but the 42 is what was there. I like the 6 inch bore because it shouldn't ever stop. I want the longer length for the few pieces that are too long, and too dirty to cut shorter. As far as pump mounting bracket, figured on having to fab one to fit.

28 gpm pump for sure with the 6'' cylinder. I run the 22 gpm with a 5'' cylinder 24'' stroke with a 10 second cycle time. For the beam, the taller the webb the more flex you will notice. My self I would go with the 8'' x 1/2 thick beam. I learned that the hard way. In this case wider and taller is the wrong way to go even if it is 5/8 thick. I see no flex at all with the 8'' beam. Major improvement.

TBrown,

I have posted this before so those of you that have seen it bear with me.
This unit has a 5inch ram and goes through anything I have put in it. If it doesn't split it just shears it.
With the knife in a T fashion, those large blocks don't split in half, it just takes two pieces off the bottom as you work it down. Having to pick up large halves after initial splitting is a pain, besides being underfoot. Overall, I find for wood that is not in the 10 to 12 inch range this works for me.
By having the tongs on a cable, it is free to be turned end to end as you will find some pieces need to be coerced into the knife, wouldn't you? lol.
This unit is over 25yrs old and used to run off the pto of the tractor. I have a honda 24hp on it, cycle time is 7 sec and I have had blocks close to 5ft in dia, knotty and nasty, no problems.
The beam is 25lb 8in. The boom is 10ft, I wouldn't go any shorter as the angle reduces hieght some.

If you are considering a small diesel, check around golf courses. There are a lot around me, and a couple of years ago I bought two diesel mowers for parts, and got both engines running. You can usually pick up an entire machine for around $300-$400, sometimes less. There were 4 on craigslist in Boston?(somewhere here in the NorthEast) for sale for 400 each just a couple of days ago. Plus they usually have some other stuff on there too. Once the machines start leaking hydraulic oil from everywhere they just park them.

I thought about building for a long time, and just decided to bite the bullet and buy. It really came down to the time. I am still working a lot right now and am happy doing it. I just wanted to get my wood split and stacked and didn't really have the extra time to build.

Latest posts

Back