building an arsenault

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood junky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hello, I am a long time lurker but decided to test the waters-

i am looking to build my collection from the ground up.
I am attempting to heat my house with wood next season.

I have a Poulan Home depot special and a homelite timberman that got me 10-15 cords over the last couple of seasons, both saws are tired and So am I.

Here is my thinking- which to procure

smaller saw for small bucking etc. 18-20 bar (most likely an ms361 but willing to listen to reason.)

Here is where I get wishy washy-

larger saw 20-24 bar 70CC

ms440,441 Jred-2171 Husky 372 (2 at local shop.)

All brands are well repesented at local shops and I like each shop owner equally well.

Dollars is where I get hung up-

stihl=700+ Jred with trade is 550 husky 660 out the door

is the ease of having on brand of saw worth the extra cash to stay with stihl?

what does the collective genius of AS have to say on the subject?

Kevin

I had a jonsred 2171 dang good saw..Almost the same as the huskey,but I've switched to stihl's now...For my self and just a personal saw to cut my own wood with I would go with the cheaper one seeing how the weight and perf will be close...

acquiring saws

Did you mean arsenal?

D@mn, and here's me thinking I'm gonna learn a particularly arcane chainsaw term and then I read the whole post.

I prefer Stihl (own 2 saws and multiple other pieces of their equipment). But, I own 2 Dolmars too.

acquiring saws

Did you mean arsenal?

D@mn, and here's me thinking I'm gonna learn a particularly arcane chainsaw term and then I read the whole post.

I prefer Stihl (own 2 saws and multiple other pieces of their equipment). But, I own 2 Dolmars too.

wood junky said:
is the ease of having on brand of saw worth the extra cash to stay with stihl?
Kevin

NO...buy the best saws you can get and learn to work on them yourself. Stihl saws are good, but they are priced higher than the competition. I think if you are going to try and heat your house with wood, and you want a deadly firewood saw combo, you will be very happy with the Dolmar 5100S and 7900. Most will agree they are probably the best pair of saws out there for the money. The Husky 372 is a very proven saw and will serve you well, and the 346XP or 359 will be a nice compliment to it. Jonsered 2171 is the same as a 372, just a touch nicer - I'd buy it since the price is better. Stihl - the 361 and the 660 (if you want a big saw) or the 440/460. Go find out what the best feeling saw is, who the best dealer is, and what the best price is...all should influence your decision and help you make the right choice.

done

Everyone above here has given you all the input you need. I'd like you to get the 5100s and a 7900 and let us know what you think!

I agree with four paws about looking into the Dolmar saws. The 5100 and 7900 are screamers and the prices are very appealing as well. Good luck with your decision.

You know...

If you ask 5 arboristsite members their opinions on saws you'll get 10 different answers....:D

thanks for the clarification

Kate Butler: Yes

all:
My thoughts on the Dolmar is that the one dealer I have been to is not stocking and I can not get my hands on it without an order/deposit.

my intention is to wrench my own saws so dealer support is not mandatory- but I don't want to support a-holes with purchases either-

I am gonna do the MS 361 and the 2171

thanks
K

Just get yourself a 24" double ended bar and mount the homey on one end and the pullon on the other... plenty of power that way. :monkey:

LOL... sorry, had to do that...

Ima newb, but seems to me that the 361 and 440/372 are too close together to make a good pair. I'd think the 346xp for limbing and <12" bucking, and the 440/372 class saw for the rest would be a better matched pair IF you anticipate cutting enough of the bigger stuff (24"+) to warrant the larger saw.

Ian

wood junky said:
Kate Butler: Yes

all:
My thoughts on the Dolmar is that the one dealer I have been to is not stocking and I can not get my hands on it without an order/deposit.

my intention is to wrench my own saws so dealer support is not mandatory- but I don't want to support a-holes with purchases either-

I am gonna do the MS 361 and the 2171

thanks
K

Looks a very good choice to me. don't know about the Jonny but I assume it's nearly the same saw as the 372 xp. Can't go wrong then. Have fun.
:cheers:

Pair of Saws

Well, I'm just a home hacker with only about five saws, but.
No one asked about what size trees you're getting.
A big saw will wear you out if used a lot, so your big one should be just big enough for your largest tree. Even if you had to share a tree now and then with someone with a bigger saw, you'd be ahead not to go too big yourself.
The limbing saw should be just big enough for most of the limbs, because you have to hold it up for hours.
I have an 029, Timberbear (way too heavy!), and MS250. Anything I can't handle is probably too big for me anyway. Even with those, I often have to use a tractor to get wood out because I can't handle even 18" of a 2' trunk!
Sometimes I take the splitter into the woods. I never wanted more than my 20" bars.

Haywire Haywood said:
Ima newb, but seems to me that the 361 and 440/372 are too close together to make a good pair. I'd think the 346xp for limbing and <12" bucking, and the 440/372 class saw for the rest would be a better matched pair IF you anticipate cutting enough of the bigger stuff (24"+) to warrant the larger saw.

Ian

Right on.

For most homeowners, and I've typed this theory up in greater length in previous posts, I think that the best situation is to have three saws: a 30-40cc super-light saw for little tasks, a 50cc for limbing and smaller wood, and a 70+cc for big wood. If folks don't anticipate having that much need for a 70+cc saw, then a pro-grade 60cc can reasonably substitute for both the 50cc and 70cc saws. I don't think that having nothing larger than a 50cc saw is the best way to go, at least here in the US.

As most already know, I happen to think that the old-style Echos are the best way to go for the 30-40cc super-lightweight saw category, unless you're down for spending the coin on an MS200 (or MS200t) or the equivilent Husqvarna/Jonsered or Dolmar products. A new Echo 346 for $160 is tough to beat.

As for the medium and big saws, with Stihl I'd probably go 260/460. With Husqvarna, 353/372 would be a good combination; the Jonsered equivilent would be 2152/2171.

I agree that the saws are close in size:

My thoughts are that the 361 will have an 18 most of the time

and the 2171 will have a 24 most of the time.

The overlap is size or overspec gives me some flexibilty:

361 can run 16-24 so if the 2171 goes down I am still functional on all levels

like wise with the 2171 I plan to have bar and chain to 18.

the theory is that I can buy more bars and chain and fewer power heads.

Most of the logs I end up with are 18-30" lots of oak.

K

fixitguy75 said:
Go husky or Jonny red! you'll get a better saw for less money, and it will for sure outcut the comparable stihl. Just my opinion.
I believe that's right with the 70 cc saws, at least if the Stihl is a 440 (courtesy Ben Walker, Jokers, Ed Heard, and several others, I never used any of those).
:D

Last edited:
Back