Building an electric bundler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afansler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am thinking of building an electric firewood bundler. I have shopped around and cant justify 2K. This is what I have gathered so far:
My bundles will be 9X9X16 which should equal .75 cubic feet.
I need to be in the 30-50 rpm range.
I will be using 1/2 HP motor.
The only isssue I have is finding gear reduction for the electric motor down from 1750 to ????
Has anyone built an electric model? How did you slow the motor

Thanks

I was going to use a foot pedal switch to control the motor I guess a variable speed motor could work also

How about a motor/transmission from a power wheels run off a 12v deep cycle battery. All your gear reduction is included and many of them are rated to haul 100# plus. They are cheap and rugged. It would be portable and self powered. If you needed to run it for a long time you could charge it with your car. For home use you could add a battery charger.

My kid's power wheels jeep runs, fully loaded, for 4hrs on a cheap lawn and garden battery.

power wheels gear | eBay

He's looking for something in the neighborhood of 35/40:1 gear reduction. Assuming you could find a 1" sprocket or pulley for the motor you would need 35" on the other end or else multiple pulleys/belts to step it down.

Hi I got my gear box and motter for $75 on eBay.

--that looks almost exactly like the setup they use to drive the big exhaust fans here in the broiler houses. Big square box and shroud, electric motor on the bottom with a real small sprocket, going up above to a much larger pulley/shaft deal where the big slower turning fan blades are, with the appropriate belt in between. Take the fan off the shaft, attach the bundle rotator. You would cut away the shroud and vent part of course.

In other words, for the original poster, what you might need, look in agricultural supplies retailers, large exhaust fans and parts. Or look for a used one, farm and garden section, craigslist perhaps. Sorry, I don't recall off the top of my head any brand name, I think they use several here. Maybe graingers has them new but bound to be spendy new, used is a better option.

Great ideas, Billsfw lOve the pics what type of foot pedal is that?did you score that off of eBay also?

I'm buuilding one also

I picked up a Rigid pipe threader motor head from Craigslist for $100 and it spins at a nice slow speed. and comes with a foot switch

Ok got 3/4 hp motor off of eBay. Bills how did you get the rear cradle to not move during the wrapping process?

Answer

I am thinking of building an electric firewood bundler. I have shopped around and cant justify 2K. This is what I have gathered so far:
My bundles will be 9X9X16 which should equal .75 cubic feet.
I need to be in the 30-50 rpm range.
I will be using 1/2 HP motor.
The only isssue I have is finding gear reduction for the electric motor down from 1750 to ????
Has anyone built an electric model? How did you slow the motor

Thanks
Why do you want a electric bundler when a hand crank is just as easy I bought a Hudson hand crank then my neighbor built one from there pattern they both hand crank and easy as can be when not in usei roll them over in the corner and use that space for something else. Later

Latest posts

Back