Building hydraulic tank is it goin to be big enough??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwackr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all I am goin to make a tank for my splitter. I am using a 22gpm pump with 5x24 cylinder. Im I correct in thinking that 25 gallons of hydro oil is enough to keep it cool? I was planning on making the tank 20x18x18. If I did the math right it should give me a 28 gallon capacity. Lets say I use 25 gallons in it will I have enough room for expansion and enough oil to keep temps down.

My original thought was to go 24x18x18 , that would give me a 33 gallon capacity and I could go 30 gallons of oil .

I appreciate any info I can get.

I think your going to have plenty of capacity to keep the oil cool. Some of the machinery I run with even higher capacity pumps (34 gal min) don't have that capacity. You'll have 225.00 or more in hydraulic oil in that baby. I bought 5 gallon yesterday, it was right at 40.00. I'm no hydro engineer, but I think you would have plenty of capacity with a 10 gal tank. I've got one splitter running a 5x24 and a 16gpm pump with a 5 gal tank and it does just fine and when it is getting used it is non-stop splitting between fill ups of fuel.

that would be great if I could get away with a smaller tank say a 20 gallon

Overkill?

Just for reference, my Huskee 35-ton splitter with 5" cylinder and 16 gpm pump has a reservoir with 31.6 qt. (~8 gallons) max capacity.

Note that the shape of the tank is a long rectangle which is just above the wheel axle line. Shapes that have a higher surface-to-volume ratio will dissipate heat more rapidly.

Last edited:
Most splitters that I see have around half a gallon of hydraulic oil per GPM of pump of pump volume. I've always heard more like a 1:1 ratio, but I have been using a 35 ton husky for almost ten years doing 30-40 cords per year, sometimes 6-8 hrs at a time and the oil never gets over a palm measurement of around 120 degrees.

Speeco says that splitter is 6.5 gallon capacity.

Yep, 1/2 gallon oil per 1 GPM of pump is pretty common in the industry. I have a 16gpm pump and run about 10 gal of oil and it never gets warm enough to wilt lettuce.

Hello,
I think I would go with the 28 gallon tank and run 25 gallons of fluid in it. It's nice that the fluid doesn't get so hot on those 90 and above days when you are running that splitter hour after hour. If you do decide to go smaller, then a 16x16x20 would give you 22gallon of space and then you could run 20 gallons.

Henry and Wanda

Hi all I am goin to make a tank for my splitter. I am using a 22gpm pump with 5x24 cylinder. Im I correct in thinking that 25 gallons of hydro oil is enough to keep it cool? I was planning on making the tank 20x18x18. If I did the math right it should give me a 28 gallon capacity. Lets say I use 25 gallons in it will I have enough room for expansion and enough oil to keep temps down.

My original thought was to go 24x18x18 , that would give me a 33 gallon capacity and I could go 30 gallons of oil .

I appreciate any info I can get.

Your math is right. The reason the oil heats up is heat input. [ horse power] With out getting too technical. If you can dissapate enough heat you could use a 3 gallon res. Your cylinder displaces a little over 2 gallons of oil. If you increase capacity you increase run time. How long do you want to run the unit? I used a 20 gallon reservoir on my 22 gpm splitter and in never went above 140 deg f on a 80 degree day. Max is either 160 f or 100 degrees over ambient. I like to keep the temp below 160. Remember to keep your return BELOW the oil level [keeps oil from foaming] and either baffel it or place your suction on the opposite side of the tank. Google hydraulic oil reservoir design an it will give you some tips. Just a general rule of thumb 1 gallon tank size to 1 gallon gpm flow. Hope this helps!! CJ

Just a general rule of thumb 1 gallon tank size to 1 gallon gpm flow. Hope this helps!! CJ

This is very true in the industrial world, but after a quick check of speeco and others, it seems log splitters generally follow the .5:1 ratio. Don't know why, just sayin'

ok If you mean engine horse power im close need 12 have 14.5 . I plan it to run all day, the first weekend its alive, then I prob will split a few times a year when I get a couple loads piled up.

Tank design will have the greatest effect on cooling. The greater the distance between inlet and outlet the better. The wider the tank gets it's ability to cool the oil deminishes.

A 12" wide , 18" tall, and 24" long tank would give a system capacity of about 20 gallons. Also thinner metal will disipate heat better than thick metal.

make sure you put some baffles inside tank

to slow flow down really not slow it down but, make it travel around couple plates and cool better than a straight shot make it like a maze, if i could write on here i would show ya i am sure you get the idea

Last edited:
ok Im sure I know what size im goin to know , but why was I told at least 25 gallons when I got the pump, thats a lot of fluid??

i have mine built with 8 gallon tanks with baffles

ok Im sure I know what size im goin to know , but why was I told at least 25 gallons when I got the pump, thats a lot of fluid??
2 stage pump 3500 psi works fine have used it for 6 years

so if I have 15 gallons I should have plenty then. has anyone used any oil coolers on there splitters. I just dont want to over heat it

Latest posts

Back