Built Rite Splitter - first impressions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambull

OCD Muscle Saw Collector
Reaction score
So I finally received my new splitter. Well put together unit. Honda engine runs great, and has plenty of power. 5" cylinder is a little on the slow side, but with the auto cycle it is not too bad. Has plenty of power, as it split every round I had with the 4 way, even the ones that were bigger than I could lift. disappearing 4 way is an awesome feature as well. I'm glad I didn't bother with the 6 way, as I probably would never use it.

The two way hitch is really handy, as I hooked it up on the motor side to the ATV, and I could just leave it hitched while I split. On this side there is a lot of negative tongue load, and it would be better if it was a little more balanced over the axle. I split and stacked about a cord in a little over an hour.

You can see my new wood shed in the background. It isn't quite finished yet, but I will post some pictures focusing on it after I get it done. I am waiting on some more rough cut lumber for the trim and soffets.

Here are some pictures:

003-12.jpg

009-8.jpg

004-15.jpg

008-10.jpg

006-8.jpg

007-12.jpg

Really nice ......... congratulations !

If'n I ever hit the lottery ......................................

Thanks man. I went from the outhouse to the penthouse, from an 8 pound maul to this.... lol. No lottery though.

Sharp machine

There is a huge difference between the "big box" splitters and this machine!

Were you able to buy direct or did you purchase from a dealer? The dual hitch system among other items this company features sets them apart from the other mfg's IMO.

I know you'll enjoy your new splitter!

Work safe,

Tom

If you don't kind me asking, what did you pay for it? and where did you buy from? I'm not far from you, I'm in Dallas and would really like to upgrade to a splitter like this.

If you don't kind me asking, what did you pay for it? and where did you buy from? I'm not far from you, I'm in Dallas and would really like to upgrade to a splitter like this.

The dealer for my area is Bortz's Saw Shop in Oley, PA, which is about a two hour ride from here. Richard Angstadt, the owner, is a real nice guy, and was really easy to deal with. They actually have a firewood business and use a Built Rite wood processor. # is (610) 987-6452 tell them JP sent you, lol. It was a long haul to go get it, but I have no regrets at this point.

The unit is very similar to a Timberwolf TW5 but has a couple advantages. Whether they matter to you is a different story. I paid just over $7K for this unit. I looked for awhile on Ebay and Craigslist, and nobody gives these things away. My local Timberwolf dealer is selling a used TW5 on Ebay right now for $6550. And that's used. I know that if I break my back or something, at least I will get most of my money back on this thing.

Great Splitter

There's life before auto-cycle, and life after. Once you have it, there's no going back.

I too like having the hitch opposite the wedge. Just makes more sense not to have to move the pile to move the machine. I really like how the tongue is set up for quick removal with the receiver. I can remove the tongue on my T'wolf but it's 4 bolts. No biggie but pulling the pin is much easier.

For the neg tongue weight with the outfeed grate, make up a couple of sand bags. I used old lead shot bags. You can drop them on and they conform to the tube balancing out the table grate. You can bungee cord them in place but I haven't had the need. YMMV

Best of luck with it

Take Care

PS If you're really lucky Ductape may swap you even for his MTD.

Great Splitter

There's life before auto-cycle, and life after. Once you have it, there's no going back.

I too like having the hitch opposite the wedge. Just makes more sense not to have to move the pile to move the machine. I really like how the tongue is set up for quick removal with the receiver. I can remove the tongue on my T'wolf but it's 4 bolts. No biggie but pulling the pin is much easier.

For the neg tongue weight with the outfeed grate, make up a couple of sand bags. I used old lead shot bags. You can drop them on and they conform to the tube balancing out the table grate. You can bungee cord them in place but I haven't had the need. YMMV

Best of luck with it

Take Care

PS If you're really lucky Ductape may swap you even for his MTD.

Thanks man, the thing that makes it difficult is the hitch on my Yamaha is all the way under the quad. I will probably add some steel to that end to balance out the weight a bit. I really like operating the splitter while attached to the ATV. I don't even have to lower the leg on it, so I can move it around at will. On the BR, the table grate is bolted on, so it is difficult to remove.

I have already been discussing possible trades with Ductape.... :greenchainsaw:

I'd love to order one of those and have them do a few custom things to suit me. Bigger engine and 28gpm pump, and since I'm a lefty, swap the log lift to the other side. Take the controls and point them toward me instead of down the beam. As they are I'd have to reach across the lift and wedge control to get to the cylinder levers.

Other than that, great setup.
Ian

I'd love to order one of those and have them do a few custom things to suit me. Bigger engine and 28gpm pump, and since I'm a lefty, swap the log lift to the other side. Take the controls and point them toward me instead of down the beam. As they are I'd have to reach across the lift and wedge control to get to the cylinder levers.

Other than that, great setup.
Ian

You are so lefty that you can't work the levers with your right hand? I am lefty, and I don't have any trouble with this. I need my left hand to steady the log anyway. Plus with the controls in the middle, you can operate the splitter from either side. Just remember not to accidentally pull the log lift lever while you are standing on it, as it will take you for a ride.

More power is always better, lol. I am not sure if the supplied Prince valves can handle that kind of flow. Also, I'm not sure that the lines and fittings going to the cylinder are big enough either. The engine never really bogs down, so it might actually be able to handle 28 GPM if everything else could. Also, I think at that flow rate, an oil cooler would be needed.

If speed is important, the 4" cylinder is probably the best option.

Last edited:
Sure, I could buy an off the shelf and make do, but if I buy a $7000 splitter, I want the controls just like I want them and with fingerprint recognition so only I could use it. LOL

Ian

You are so lefty that you can't work the levers with your right hand? I am lefty, and I don't have any trouble with this. I need my left hand to steady the log anyway. Plus with the controls in the middle, you can operate the splitter from either side. Just remember not to accidentally pull the log lift lever while you are standing on it, as it will take you for a ride.

More power is always better, lol. I am not sure if the supplied Prince valves can handle that kind of flow. Also, I'm not sure that the lines and fittings going to the cylinder are big enough either. The engine never really bogs down, so it might actually be able to handle 28 GPM if everything else could. Also, I think at that flow rate, an oil cooler would be needed.

If speed is important, the 4" cylinder is probably the best option.

The Prince valves work fine on a 28 GPM pump. The pressure on the line from the pump to the valves barely moves <100psi when cycling it empty. This is with 3/4" lines for high pressure runs.

Don

The Prince valves work fine on a 28 GPM pump. The pressure on the line from the pump to the valves barely moves <100psi when cycling it empty. This is with 3/4" lines for high pressure runs.

Don

The Prince RD5200 series valves are rated for 25 GPM. Not sure what happens, but that is the rating by Prince.

Trust me... you do not want 28gpm going to the log lift or the wedge lift. The log lift becomes a catapult!

Install a flow control valve diverting 5gpm to the accessroy functions and magically your flow to the main ram is below the Prince mandated 25gpm max.

Trust me... you do not want 28gpm going to the log lift or the wedge lift. The log lift becomes a catapult!

Install a flow control valve diverting 5gpm to the accessroy functions and magically your flow to the main ram is below the Prince mandated 25gpm max.

You are correct about the catapult, as the unit was supplied minus the flow control. I don't remember the story but they are mailing it to me. I had one that I installed in the mean time, and it works just fine. It instantly kicks the pump into low range, which puts the flow at 8 GPM at full throttle. Even at 8 GPM the log lift is a little on the jumpy side. Interestingly the Barnes 28GPM pump has the same second stage gear as the 22 GPM pump, so it will do 8 GPM as well. Also, by their charts it appears that the 22 GPM pump actually gets closer to 24 GPM

Here's the link: http://www.haldex.com/Global/Hydraulics/Product Catalogs/hi_lo_pg_rev1203.pdf

The flow control does not divert, but rather it restricts the flow. So it would be impossible to do what you suggested. The Prince valves are not piped separately anyway. The flow goes through the first bank of valves and into the splitter bank.

All the Barnes Haldex pumps are GPM rated at 3600 RPM. Max RPM is 4000. Output is linear, so if the engine is tweaked for 4000 RPM, output will increase by 10%, putting the output at close to 25 GPM if not over.

Back