Built Rite Splitter - first impressions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct about the catapult, as the unit was supplied minus the flow control. I don't remember the story but they are mailing it to me. I had one that I installed in the mean time, and it works just fine. It instantly kicks the pump into low range, which puts the flow at 8 GPM at full throttle.

What you have installed is a flow restrictor (or limiter), not a flow control valve.

Here's the link: http://www.haldex.com/Global/Hydraulics/Product Catalogs/hi_lo_pg_rev1203.pdf

The flow control does not divert, but rather it restricts the flow. So it would be impossible to do what you suggested.

Apparently, someone forgot to tell Prince Hydraulics that their Flow Control Valve doesn't work as designed! The only two ways that their RD-100 and RD-1900 valves restrict (or limit) flow are: the "controlled flow port" gets blocked somehow (closed center valve used); or you install a plug on the "excess flow port". See their cut-sheet here:

http://www.princehyd.com/Portals/0/products/valves/catalog/valvesRd100.pdf

The Prince valves are not piped separately anyway. The flow goes through the first bank of valves and into the splitter bank.

Then, in your case, since you can't split your hydraulic circuits, your use of a flow limiter works. In my case, I wanted separate hydraulic circuits so that one person could be operating the splitter cylinder while another is loading the log lift. The flow control valve allows just that.

All the Barnes Haldex pumps are GPM rated at 3600 RPM. Max RPM is 4000. Output is linear, so if the engine is tweaked for 4000 RPM, output will increase by 10%, putting the output at close to 25 GPM if not over.

Be careful... exceeding the rated RPM increases wear and tear and raises the risk of failure. I've been known to push the limit at times. I just don't publicize it or encourage others to step over the bleeding edge. I'd hate for someone else to get hurt because they tried something I encouraged that was outside of the manufacturer's intended operating parameters.

The dealer for my area is Bortz's Saw Shop in Oley, PA, which is about a two hour ride from here. Richard Angstadt, the owner, is a real nice guy, and was really easy to deal with. They actually have a firewood business and use a Built Rite wood processor. # is (610) 987-6452 tell them JP sent you, lol. It was a long haul to go get it, but I have no regrets at this point.QUOTE]

Let me know how this works out for you. I would be interested in one and actually just picked up a log lease of 85 acres this year within 5 minutes of Bortz's. Does he have one in operation up there to check out, or only the processor? Either way, good luck with your purchase. Better get splitting, earlier winters up there near Scranton.:blob2:

Thanks 2FATGUYS for the correction. Most of my experience is with pressure compensated pumps, and not fixed displacement pumps. Sounds like you got an interesting setup. As long as the other guy doesn't load the big round while the splitter is extended......

Let me know how this works out for you. I would be interested in one and actually just picked up a log lease of 85 acres this year within 5 minutes of Bortz's. Does he have one in operation up there to check out, or only the processor? Either way, good luck with your purchase. Better get splitting, earlier winters up there near Scranton.:blob2:

Only the processor at Botz's. He definitely does not sell a lot of these splitters. If you are interested in a road trip you can check out mine, just shoot me a PM. The next size up one is downright sick - the 24HPWS.

So I finally received my new splitter. Well put together unit. Honda engine runs great, and has plenty of power. 5" cylinder is a little on the slow side, but with the auto cycle it is not too bad. Has plenty of power, as it split every round I had with the 4 way, even the ones that were bigger than I could lift. disappearing 4 way is an awesome feature as well. I'm glad I didn't bother with the 6 way, as I probably would never use it.

The two way hitch is really handy, as I hooked it up on the motor side to the ATV, and I could just leave it hitched while I split. On this side there is a lot of negative tongue load, and it would be better if it was a little more balanced over the axle. I split and stacked about a cord in a little over an hour.

You can see my new wood shed in the background. It isn't quite finished yet, but I will post some pictures focusing on it after I get it done. I am waiting on some more rough cut lumber for the trim and soffets.

Here are some pictures:

003-12.jpg

009-8.jpg

004-15.jpg

008-10.jpg

006-8.jpg

007-12.jpg

This is an old thread, I think that split rite is out of business or is built rite I cant remember ?? I guess maybe I should google prior to opening my mouth!

Latest posts

Back