Bumper Spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many spikes do you like?

• One Bumper Spike.

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Two Bumper Spike.

Votes: 38 64.4%
  • Happy Birthday Stihl Sawing.

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Wendell Ate Too Many Pancakes.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Woodcutter TV is a Jerk.

Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters
Traditionally, single set of spikes was on falling saws, double sets were for bucking saws. Single sets are best placed near the centerline. The big top tank McCullochs had the best positions for either single or double sets.
Most modern saws have what would be considered dogs, spikes are a whole different critter.

Traditionally, single set of spikes was on falling saws, double sets were for bucking saws. Single sets are best placed near the centerline. The big top tank McCullochs had the best positions for either single or double sets.
Most modern saws have what would be considered dogs, spikes are a whole different critter.

*Ding* Nailed it.

Hey did you mean the centerline of the saw or the centerline of the bar? It seems like if the dog was lined up with the bar, that would work well. But I can't see how it would be mounted.

Please elaborate.

You seem like the kind of guy who would know how to peen the rivets on the tie strap of your chain. Are you familiar with that, Randy?

Thanks for the input.

two(2) of your "bumper spikes" work best for beginers... ive always known them as "rookie teeth" for them that needed them the first few days of a pending survival !! lol

Yeah Chuck. And you can cut a slit in two short lengths of old garden hose to make a protector on them spikes so's you don't get injured while you sleep with your 066 Magnum. I learned that one real early on.

Other than the negligible weight penalty is there any downside to having two felling dogs?

I tried the two dog thing but the outside one kept snagging on my chaps carrying the saw in my left hand . took it off and my saw still cuts wood . Amazing

*Ding* Nailed it.

Hey did you mean the centerline of the saw or the centerline of the bar? It seems like if the dog was lined up with the bar, that would work well. But I can't see how it would be mounted.

Please elaborate.

You seem like the kind of guy who would know how to peen the rivets on the tie strap of your chain. Are you familiar with that, Randy?

Thanks for the input.

I guess the inside dog/spike is the most usefull.

I have peened the #### outta all kinds of things, some of it was worthwhile.

From Randy Mac's Ball Peen Days.

I guess the inside dog/spike is the most usefull.

I have peened the #### outta all kinds of things, some of it was worthwhile.

Here's something else you can get nostalgic about, Mac.

It is worthwhile.

[video=youtube;9U43Jiid2nI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U43Jiid2nI[/video]

Interestingly enough, with 54 votes turned in at this point, the same percentage of respondents who will run one spike is the same percentage as those who think WCTV is a jerk or those wishing Stihl Sawing a happy birthday and those who feel as though Wendell ate too many pancakes put together!

I run two spikes and gnarly at that. In a similar way though, I feel as though Wendell ate too many pancakes.

Are they the same crowd? They shoulda let "Don't Buy Junk," 1 and 2 run awhile longer. I'll see if I can get those moved to the Off Topic area.

Latest posts

Back