Stihl MS400 and felling Spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I am really pleased with my MS400 acquisition! I ordered part no 1122-640-1711 which is the large clutch cover for the MS440 and includes the outside felling spike and all internal rubber and the roller chain catch. Everything fit fine although I had to modify the outside dog a bit to fit on the 400 case. I also ordered the Inside dog for the 440 which I thought would be a match. The inside dog is slightly smaller than the outside dog and the roller catch holes do not line up. Did I need a different inside dog? Concerned that since the projection of the inside dog is "shorter" that the saw will not bite correctly and cut crooked. What is my remedy? Thanks for any help or suggestions! Ed

The big inside bumber spike for this would be the 1122 664 0506. Is that the one that you ordered? As you`ve alrady said: these are MS 440 parts. Why don`t you use the right MS 400 parts?

Your saw should already have the 1142 664 0500 inside bumber spike from the factory and the right outside spike would be the 1141 664 0501.

Thanks for the information! From hearing others on this forum they liked the fact that the large clutch cover from the MS 440 would clear chips much better. That's the reason for the clutch cover change. I just didn't know the inner spike from the 440 wouldn't match the spike that came with the larger 440 clutch cover. So you believe the one you referenced will match?

Edit: Just looked and the inner spike that was ordered was 0000-660-0850 so obviously not the correct one. Dealer said it would match🙁

The big inside bumber spike for this would be the 1122 664 0506. Is that the one that you ordered? As you`ve alrady said: these are MS 440 parts. Why don`t you use the right MS 400 parts?

Your saw should already have the 1142 664 0500 inside bumber spike from the factory and the right outside spike would be the 1141 664 0501.
The inside spike that came on the 400 was: 1142/0500 B

If you take the spike that I mentioned, it will fit. The 0000 660 0850 is not for the MS 400. It belongs to the large MS 440 clutch cover and others.
Right! The spike was ordered off the schematic for the 440...same place as the large clutch cover. But it was supposed to match the one that came on the large clutch cover 1122-640-1711 and while it bolts up fine the projection is too short.

I still have the inner and outer larger stihl dogs that came with the 3/4 wrap of you want them. I’m using west coast dogs on mine.
Thanks! I am already into this with the cost of the 440 large clutch cover and dog that came with it, so I will probably see this through 😁. My local dealer just cannot seem to grasp what I am trying to accomplish. Unless I can go to them with part numbers they can't help me. I guess to be fair I am trying to fit parts from a different saw to the 400! Hopefully the fellow previous from Germany gave me the right part no.

Thanks! I am already into this with the cost of the 440 large clutch cover and dog that came with it, so I will probably see this through 😁. My local dealer just cannot seem to grasp what I am trying to accomplish. Unless I can go to them with part numbers they can't help me. I guess to be fair I am trying to fit parts from a different saw to the 400! Hopefully the fellow previous from Germany gave me the right part no.
If you change your mind they are yours.

@DND 9000 and others:

OK, Still trying to order the correct inner matching spike that came with the large clutch cover (1122-640-1711) with outer spike 1122-664-0501C. Is that match going to be 1122 664 0506? This will be the third time with the dealer on this and I am hoping to have a hit this time and not a strike out😳

Thanks so much, had no idea this was going to be so complicated to communicate to the dealer.

@DND 9000 and others:

OK, Still trying to order the correct inner matching spike that came with the large clutch cover (1122-640-1711) with outer spike 1122-664-0501C. Is that match going to be 1122 664 0506? This will be the third time with the dealer on this and I am hoping to have a hit this time and not a strike out😳

Thanks so much, had no idea this was going to be so complicated to communicate to the dealer.

I don't have any problems. It is on their computer. Just ask to see the screen and point out the part.

The Stihl IPL's need to be studied to make sense. Bottom line line on the MS 400 for a wrap kit is to use the complete MS 362 wrap kit, you need the wide clutch cover to make the roller chain catcher fit.

The part numbers you are looking for are in the parts list for the 362 wrap kit. I don't have an IPL for an MS 362. The kit p/n is 1140 007 1012, according to a Duck Duck Go search I just did. Ask you dealer to give you a printout of that kit number, but verify it is for a 362 saw before you spend any more money. Then you can double check all the numbers you need. I'm sorry your dealer is unable to chase the numbers down for you, he has access to the parts lists and his Stihl rep if he has trouble. If he won't or can't help send me a pm and I will find the right stuff.

Back