Burn a saw up using synthetic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that adding oil has never burned up a saw.

No difference in performance that we can tell, 50:1 and have never had an issue, never have had a saw fail with mix issues, or for any reason as that goes, but have run the 0 model Stihl's up until a couple of years ago. I give them a lot of credit for buiding a great saw. We just always make sure we run fresh mix, shake the jug before we gas up, and saw away.

Nope never, I've run it in many saws over 50 years old and over a 100 others at modern mix ratios. Never a problem. Sounds to me like something else was at fault and most likely the mixologist. However, maybe I'm just extremely lucky, although I've never managed to win the lottery which would be of similar odds.

I have to agree: probably if you burned a saw using synthetic, chances are you tried to run it too lean. Motocross racers use synthetic all the time. They do have trouble when they try to run it 80:1 . If you run your chainsaw at that mixture you're probably gonna fry it. I run Klotz techniplate in mine all the time at 32:1 and don't have a mark on the piston. If you run it too rich you'll have a little mist coming out of it and the saw will be greasy on the bottom.

My main criteria in an oil is as little stink as possible. So dino is out of question.

I wish I could get a sample pack of premium oils. Klotz, polaris, etc.So I could search for an even less stinky oil. Not looking for a sweet smell, just less smell.

I currently run Mobil 2t and Ultra. The 2t is very slightly less stinky (close though) perhaps because it doesn't have the stabilizer.

Klotz is good oil but is not in the non stinky category...It smells like perfume. I like it, some do not.

I just scored the piston in my ancient Stihl 028. I was running Amsoil Sabre at 50:1. Now, I'm not gonna blame the oil, because I discovered the carb was a bit loose and probably was running lean due to an air leak, but now I'm hesitant to use the rest of the bottle.

So please, no one bid on any piston/cylinders for 028's on ebay for about five days, until I win the pair I'm bidding on.

Don't know how much the one on ebay is, but HERE is a meteor p&r at a one of the site sponsors. I put one in a 266xp of mine and absolutely love it. And I won't comment yay or nay on the oil but I have always used synthetic stihl oil and have never had a problem. You have to decide whether or not you want to use it. Good luck with the rebuild.

Johnny, if you decide to make the switch keep me in tune. I have been thinking about switching, most likely to Klotz or HP. Ive had great luck with Stihl Dino, but looking for something more advanced to compete with the ethanol in fuel today.

Sperm Whale oil at 40:1

That's all I'm going to say about that.

Dull chains and even duller operators have toasted more saws then any dino oil ever will.

the only thing that burns up more saws then dull chains is keeping your saws in a garage or other outdoor environment. everyone knows saws, like a good dog, should be brought in every night. Mine stay in the bedroom with me waiting for the next time out !!!

My wife is in the garage !!!! :laugh:

I reckon Stihl just wanted to rebuild a couple million saws under warranty when they put Ultra on the market, and the millions of high rpm Motocross bikes that run on synthetic are just a miracle...

Nope.

It's more likely straight gas, or an air leak.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Now this is an easy one. What he said

How does anyone quote synthetic oil & motocross @ the same time?? The two stoke is basicaly dead in motocross:msp_thumbdn: & has been for a few years.I would kill for a Honda CR500R by the way:heart:, Given time the same will happen to the chainsaw;) . Check out snow machines & sportbikes lately??:laugh:.

How does anyone quote synthetic oil & motocross @ the same time?? The two stoke is basicaly dead in motocross:msp_thumbdn: & has been for a few years.I would kill for a Honda CR500R by the way:heart:, Given time the same will happen to the chainsaw;) . Check out snow machines & sportbikes lately??:laugh:.

LOL!!!
What's it been, 6 years now since the valved horrors finally started making enough power to get out of thier own way, at double displacement in order to be competitive in thier class?
Yeah, that's advancement.:dizzy:

The point is that there are hundreds of thousands of 2 stroke MX bikes out there that thrive on the synthetic lubes, and have for decades.

And No..ain't gonna happen with saws anytime soon.
20lb limbing saws making 3hp wont sell well at all.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

At least the two smokers still have a billing at Moto GP rounds in the 125 class, but it's going the way of the dodo next season or so too :msp_sad:

I had posted a thread a few days ago about using amsoil sabre. Well yesterday we went and cut there was a 044,036,046,017 in the group we were all running the fuel I brought. I had 5 gallons of premium at 50:1 with amsoil sabre and we cut from around 10 am to 4:30 , 5 oclock. Every saw went home running good and I kinda like the smell:hmm3grin2orange:

This was mine and my friends first time using it. personally I think that it made my 046 more responsive under load. I may be crazy tho but I will be a amsoil user from here on. This is just my thoughts ,and experiance with it. I would say dont be afraid to use it.

The only problems I have had with synthetic oil is clogged muffler screens.

If you switch over a saw that has been running crap oil to synthetic, the synthetic will clean your engine over time. The carbon has to go somewhere, and that is almost always the muffler screen. Good cure for this is to remove the screen.

I agree! The only thing I've ever needed to do as well is to clean the screen. Personally, I have used only Opti-2 (same ratio, as directed: one tube per gallon) in my trimmer/blowers/saws and have never had any problem of any kind.

Nothing is going to save the saw if you have an air leak. It probably ran longer than it should have. The oil had nothing to do with it. If you don't want the oil, send it to me! That is all I have used for 20 years.

My main criteria in an oil is as little stink as possible. So dino is out of question.

I wish I could get a sample pack of premium oils. Klotz, polaris, etc.So I could search for an even less stinky oil. Not looking for a sweet smell, just less smell.

I currently run Mobil 2t and Ultra. The 2t is very slightly less stinky (close though) perhaps because it doesn't have the stabilizer.

Try IPONE Syn oil You get a nice smell of strawberries

Back