Burn Barrel - Burn Right Products

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pile all my scraps, brush, trimmings, etc in what starts off as a small pile but usually grows to be pretty large before i actually get around to burning it. only do it when not real dry and not real windy. what's the big deal? i think you're just way over-thinking this issue. just KYHOYA and you'll be fine.

In the state of Georgia, we have a "burn" season. It runs through the winter months. I believe it began in May. It comes off in Oct. I think. To burn a pile you have to call in and get a burn number. I thinks it just so they will know where the fires are, just in case.

But I still see fires all the time during the summer. It's like fireworks. They are against the law period in Georgia, but I still hear um popping.

It's Unanimous

I will pass on the Burn Right and consider some of other ideas that have been mentioned.

A wood chipper sounds like a good alternative to burning.

Thanks to all that responded to this thread!

My neighbor removed the top and bottom of a steel drum and welded in a piece of expanded metal mesh as a bottom. He then put 8 inch legs on it. Very slick... air goes in ashes fall out ... very portable as well. He has maybe $30 in it and has been using it several years.

My version was the same except no bottom. I sat it on a "U" of concrete blocks with angle iron scrap across for a few supports. Burned like a blow torch when it got going and never an ash to clean out of the barrel. Just shovel from underneath.

I did the 'poke holes in the barrel...bend over and shovel out the ashes included unburned paper chunks, etc." every year until I figured there just _had_ to be a better way. There was, a barrel with no top or bottom propped up on something. Try it once and you will never go back to cave man technology.

Drawback? The barrel and the scrap iron it sets on does not last long, maybe 3 years if you don't burn very often.

Unfortunately, Washington State pays a bounty to people reporting burn barrel use. I can burn all I want on a pile next to the barrel but not one scrap _in_ the barrel.

Harry K

That "so-called" flame on the left picture of the "high-temp" burn barrel looks like one seriously crappy photoshop job. Plus I like how they laid the normal burn barrel on the right purposely on the ground so no air is getting under the embers and intentionally making a smokey mess of things. Every burn barrel that I've seen in buddies yards was elevated and had holes drilled in the bottom/sides for proper air movement. How much exactly are they asking for this high-temp barrel?? I'm willing to bet rust will destroy this thing just as fast as it would a normal one....

It is made of stainless. So I doubt it will rust. $400 is definitely way to much though. My neighbor has a stainless 55gal drum that he uses for a burn barrel. He got it at riley hospital in indy. He has been burning trash in it consistently for the past 15 years and no rust issue. If a guy could come across one for a descent price, that would be the thing to do. The washer tubs work well but you are much more limited on the amount you could stuff in them.

Back when this area was still rural...
folks just knocked a couple dozen holes in a steel barrel using a pick or maddock.
favoring the lower portion and a few in the bottom to let rainwater drain.

Then they set the barrel on top of about six bricks to raise the barrel
of the ground a bit to keep the bottom from rusting so fast.

I guess nowdays if it aint got a UL tag or some-such on it
you'll have a H.O.A. up your backside within a week of using it.
No H.O.A. here and I hope we never get stuck with one,
But I guess the light rail will bring that crowd soon enough.

No problem using burn barrels here... yet...
But civilization is creeping in on me again (I've moved twice to get away). More and more homes going up in this area, one just across the road last summer... which really messed-up the view. But it could be worse, at least he's the type of guy who uses a pistol to ventilate his burn barrel!!

I'm sure there are different qualities of 55 gal drums. But it is amazing how hard it is to put holes in them with a .22.....(or our modern ammunition...)

FWIW a pick works well.

I don't know who is actually making these things, but I seen an ad in Farm & Ranch magazine for 'em. DR was selling 'em right next to their ATV mounted tree trimming pipe cutter ambulance chasin lawyer employin thingy. So they gotta be good, right...? :D

I second turnkeys barrel on blocks. Find a stainless barrel, up on blocks, expanded metal under the barrel, ventilate the barrel with your toy of choice, WALAH! "$400" burn barrel.

BTW, locally, the only open fires we can have is camp or cooking fires. The fire chief will leave you be if you have a pack of hot dogs and a stick nearby. It's amazing how many farmers "roast hot dogs" over tire fueled fires! :laugh:

Out here in the county "open" burning is OK... no permit required. The burning of tires (just for the sake of burning tires) is prohibited, but it's OK to use a tire or two for getting a brush pile started (funny thing... every pile of "stuff" I burn requires a tire to get it going). Of course the State Fire Marshal can invoke an "Open Burning Ban"... but a couple years ago the State Legislature passed a law exempting "attended and contained recreational fires", trash burners (such as a burn barrel) with some sort of grate lid, and BBQ grills. The "contained" part of "attended and contained" is somewhat unspecified and (I believe) purposely left open to interpretation by law enforcement... but my fire pit, lined with stone, below and above ground level, qualifies as a "contained recreational fire" according to the County Sheriff... and is "attended" as long as it is within eyesight of someone on the property. Technically, if I pile the firewood higher than the top of the rocks it's no longer "contained"... but as long as we're sitting around it and not doing something else wrong to attract attention...

Back when this area was still rural...
folks just knocked a couple dozen holes in a steel barrel using a pick or maddock.
favoring the lower portion and a few in the bottom to let rainwater drain.

Then they set the barrel on top of about six bricks to raise the barrel
of the ground a bit to keep the bottom from rusting so fast.

I guess nowdays if it aint got a UL tag or some-such on it
you'll have a H.O.A. up your backside within a week of using it.
No H.O.A. here and I hope we never get stuck with one,
But I guess the light rail will bring that crowd soon enough.

What's that about not being a part of any group that would have me?

Maybe I should lot off my property, and start a redneck HOA - some of the rules - must have at least one broke down vehicle/piece of heavy machinery visible at all times, backyard fire pit required, all fees will be paid in beer, disputes will be settled at the bar, etc. Bonuses of being a RHOA member would include free use of the trap range and access to the mud bog pit.

I think the problem here is so many trees. We had a real, or have been in a real drought with has killed a good number of trees. We've had so much kindling on the ground fire has gotten to be a problem. Few houses in Georgia are without trees all around. Hence the fire burn code.

150 gallons of oil and fuel would burn for a long time, that is the half or so that didn't go into the groundwater. I can light a damn big bonfire on a 2 gallon can of 50/50 diesel and oil. If it's dry (even a little) when I burn a big brush pile, I'll get the farm machinery out and make a 30-40 foot ring of bare dirt around it before lighting.

Few things I look forward to more than lighting up a big pile of brush with lots of friends and cold beverages on a summer night.

So when's the party Steve:confused2:

Beefie

Whenever summer gets here - probably next year sometime.

But... but... but... :msp_ohmy: just 6 or 7 weeks ago you were tellin' me it was comin'?? You were sayin', "Hang in there Spidy it's comin'... it's just around the corner." Now you're sayin' it won't be until next year?? :msp_confused:

I should'a known... :bang: ya' just can't trust a Cheese-Head... give 'em a little power (like make 'em a board moderator) and they'll abuse it. And here I was almost ready to swap-out my purple body paint for some green... and near had my wife talked into swappin' her blue and orange also.

The pain... the agony... the utter feeling of disappointment...
I mean... if'n ya' can't trust the words of a moderator... who's words can ya' trust?? :D

You're not allowing the weather to make you cynical, are ya' Steve?? :laugh:

Latest posts

Back