Burn Barrel - Burn Right Products

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But... but... but... :msp_ohmy: just 6 or 7 weeks ago you were tellin' me it was comin'?? You were sayin', "Hang in there Spidy it's comin'... it's just around the corner." Now you're sayin' it won't be until next year?? :msp_confused:

I should'a known... :bang: ya' just can't trust a Cheese-Head... give 'em a little power (like make 'em a board moderator) and they'll abuse it. And here I was almost ready to swap-out my purple body paint for some green... and near had my wife talked into swappin' her blue and orange also.

The pain... the agony... the utter feeling of disappointment...
I mean... if'n ya' can't trust the words of a moderator... who's words can ya' trust?? :D

You're not allowing the weather to make you cynical, are ya' Steve?? :laugh:

Yes, I suppose I am.

cyn·i·cal
/ˈsinikəl/
Adjective

1. Believing that people are motivated by self-interest; distru####l of human sincerity or integrity.
2. Doubtful as to whether something will happen or is worthwhile.

How bout I come down there and we'll see if we can dig down to some frost somewhere. I'll bring my cheese hat.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna go enjoy a rare day with a little sunshine. 78° is odd for this part of winter, and a bit warm for hard work outside, but I'll manage.

I went from openly being able to burn to a complete burn ban in all but recreational camp fires in one fail swoop a couple of years ago gggggrrrrrrrr I live on 3 acres in a rural area. We are supposed to break everything down to 4 ft or less and 4 in or less in diameter and send it off once a month to the township to get turned I.to tanbark............

You can see how that does not work real well for my wooded area.

Since any drums are a huge no-no also I made my own outdoor stove. I got an old oil tank that rusted out on the bottom and just cut some air hole in the front bottom. Then cut out a door above that and welded on some old door hinges I had. Then I just had to cut a chimney hole in the back and add a piece of stove pipe. Got no money into it and I can burn whateveir I can fit into my about 18"x18" door.

I would just pile it up every so often,helps to encourage the wildlife to stay around

Hmmmmm.........

Been there, done that... it ain't always such a good idea depending on what you're gonna' use the land for. Those brush piles make ideal places for all sorts of critters, not all of 'em are desirable. The first thing you'll notice is an explosion of the rabbit population... darn hard on the vegetable garden. Next comes mice and chipmunks followed by opossum, groundhog and skunk... and then the predators. Eventually the piles start breaking down, the rodent population runs short of housing and start moving into/under your buildings. Finally, the varmint population is more than the land can sustain... they start lookin' a bit sickly... and the rabies infection comes along to balance-out the mess.

Now you keep a shotgun handy to shoot the rabid skunks, coon, fox, and whatnot that show up in your yard every-other day so your kids and pets don't get bit. You haf'ta fence-in the garden to keep the vermin out. One of your outbuildings has the back wall and part of the floor cave-in from vermin tunneling. The only thing utilizing your bird feeders are the squirrels because the predatory birds keep all song birds away. And there's a hole in near every roof on the property from rodent chewing...

Farmers learned several decades ago... if'n you're gonna' live and work on the land ya' need to keep the area clean and tidy... man should not artificially "create" wildlife habitat, it always comes back to bite him... man should "set-aside" areas where Ma Nature is allowed to do the "creating" at her own pace, and in balance.

Hmmmmm.........

Been there, done that... it ain't always such a good idea depending on what you're gonna' use the land for. Those brush piles make ideal places for all sorts of critters, not all of 'em are desirable. The first thing you'll notice is an explosion of the rabbit population... darn hard on the vegetable garden. Next comes mice and chipmunks followed by opossum, groundhog and skunk... and then the predators. Eventually the piles start breaking down, the rodent population runs short of housing and start moving into/under your buildings. Finally, the varmint population is more than the land can sustain... they start lookin' a bit sickly... and the rabies infection comes along to balance-out the mess.

Now you keep a shotgun handy to shoot the rabid skunks, coon, fox, and whatnot that show up in your yard every-other day so your kids and pets don't get bit. You haf'ta fence-in the garden to keep the vermin out. One of your outbuildings has the back wall and part of the floor cave-in from vermin tunneling. The only thing utilizing your bird feeders are the squirrels because the predatory birds keep all song birds away. And there's a hole in near every roof on the property from rodent chewing...

Farmers learned several decades ago... if'n you're gonna' live and work on the land ya' need to keep the area clean and tidy... man should not artificially "create" wildlife habitat, it always comes back to bite him... man should "set-aside" areas where Ma Nature is allowed to do the "creating" at her own pace, and in balance.

Out where we are the .22 bolt-action Marlin sees a lot of use in dealing with the local squirrel population. As soon as I spot one scurrying around and I know I'm within reach of taking it out, it's gone. The neighbors and I had problems for a while where they would make a home in the attic. Most of this was due to my short-sighted "leave them be" philosophy. Eventually as those adult squirrels made nests in the trees close to the house, the babies would get bigger and then were looking for a place of their own. Multiply that problem by numerous adults living on our property and you can see where this is headed. Every year I have to kill all the ones that routinely encroach over the boundry. Oh well, at least it keeps my shooting skills sharp. :laugh: I like to keep a couple of the local stray cats employed too by bribing them with food. They in turn make sure I have almost zero problems with mice, moles, and chipmunks. My one cat "blackie" is an absolute killing machine.

When I first purchased this place, I also picked up three 55 gallon drums to use as burn barrels. For a month I used one of the barrels to burn whatever yard trash (sticks n branches) Yep, I made holes in the bottom and sides but used a drill with a half inch bit. It did work wekk, but not really well enough. Then I felled a huge pine. So I made three nice piles about 10 feet from each other and covered them with tarps. In the meantime I had 5 doghouses and a dog kennel to get rid of. (left behind by the previous owner) So I pulled off all their roofs since they had tar shingles on them n made a nice sized pile from those. They were infested with carpenter ants n termites so it was with pleasure I added a couple of cups of home made napalm to help get it started. You could see the flames some 20 feet above the house.

About a month later I started the pine bonfires, and though pleasurable, not nearly as mush as torching the carpenter ants and termites.

I haven't used that burn barrel after that first month. It is much more fun just to make a pile and burn it.

I personally use 55 gallon drum for controlled burns. An alternative to the 55 gallon drum is a shopping cart. They work really well too. Ask your local Wally world if they have any damaged carts for the taking.

I don't even burn anymore.
I just scattered all the brush, twigs, and unusable firewood all over my property and let nature takes it's course.

I like the scatter technique too as it helps the soil and doesn't leave big black burn spots. Only problem is it doesn't work with red cedar, scatter that stuff and you'll be tripping over it 10 years later.

Permit? :dizzy::dizzy:

I burn everything in my trash barrell... from paper and carbboard to old siding, tires, used oil, etc. If it burns and fits in there, it's disappearing.

Before you do anything be sure to get an approved burn permit. Ah, but they are only legal a few months out of the year. Even after 10 inches of rain. You wouldn't want to do anything to get locked up, like light a burn barrel.

Tires and oil, that's a time in jail burn there. I burn a lot of trash paper products all years, but stacked limbs and such, have to wait till winter.

Sounds like it sucks to live in Milner, GA.

Around someone might care if I was rolling black smoke for hours on end everyday, but a trash fire every few days, no one looks twice. If anything it would be my neighbors that could call me in to complain, but they also burn their trash too.

Tires and oil, that's a time in jail burn there. I burn a lot of trash paper products all years, but stacked limbs and such, have to wait till winter.

Latest posts

Back