Burn Barrel - Burn Right Products

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonawanda

Reaction score
I just purchased 6 acres of wooded land. There is a lot of dead wood/branches etc on the property. I will also be taking down quite a few live trees. Since I'm not a big fan of bon fires or fire pits, and right now have limited clear areas to use, and like the portability, I am considering the attached.

Expensive, but if it works like the claims on the website, could it be worth it?

Home Incinerator - Burn Barrel Replacement: Hi-Temp Burn Barrels

View attachment 299578

That "so-called" flame on the left picture of the "high-temp" burn barrel looks like one seriously crappy photoshop job. Plus I like how they laid the normal burn barrel on the right purposely on the ground so no air is getting under the embers and intentionally making a smokey mess of things. Every burn barrel that I've seen in buddies yards was elevated and had holes drilled in the bottom/sides for proper air movement. How much exactly are they asking for this high-temp barrel?? I'm willing to bet rust will destroy this thing just as fast as it would a normal one....

Oh wait, I just saw the price. $400 for the large?! Are they serious? NO THANKS!!!! $10-15 bucks will buy you a normal used 55 gallon around these parts that will last you for years.

I read on this website where someone took apart a washing machine and used the tub as a burn barrel. The tub already has holes drilled all over it and should do a great job. I have a 55 gal drum with a bunch of holes in it which works great to get rid of sticks in the yard, but I have often thougt about tearing the tub out of an old washing machine..

Four hundred dollars for a glorified burn barrel?? Seriously?? Man, I hate to tell you this, but that thing is a gimmick designed to attract Joe-Home-Owner living on a quarter-acre lot in suburbia... something he can use to burn his one wheelbarrow of little sticks he picks up every spring. Heck, you can have the same thing by rolling up a length of used woven wire fencing... rolling it up into whatever shape, diameter and height you desire... for free! For that matter, if ya' can't find used-for-free, 25-feet of new from the fleet store won't come anywhere near $400.oo and be just as portable. Heck, ya' can even attach a chunk of the fencing to the bottom and three fence posts to the sides so it holds the fire off the ground... wind and rain will dispose of the ashes (to a point) for ya'.

$400.oo?? Ain't no way in hell...

Four hundred dollars for a glorified burn barrel?? Seriously?? Man, I hate to tell you this, but that thing is a gimmick designed to attract Joe-Home-Owner living on a quarter-acre lot in suburbia... something he can use to burn his one wheelbarrow of little sticks he picks up every spring. Heck, you can have the same thing by rolling up a length of used woven wire fencing... rolling it up into whatever shape, diameter and height you desire... for free! For that matter, if ya' can't find used-for-free, 25-feet of new from the fleet store won't come anywhere near $400.oo and be just as portable. Heck, ya' can even attach a chunk of the fencing to the bottom and three fence posts to the sides so it holds the fire off the ground... wind and rain will dispose of the ashes (to a point) for ya'.

you've definitely heard of a sucker born every minute?? pt barnum??? and they are hoping..............................:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

What's wrong with stacking firewood from deadfalls and live trees? I would think you would have room to stack wood someplace on six acres.

I have cut to size firewood in stacks one inch diameter to around 10 inches, maybe even a few 12s. I use the larger chunks for all nighters, nice and mixed into the pile.

If you don't want it, chances are you might could sell some bargain wood (mixed species, mixed sizes) off of craigslist, and that would greatly reduce the amount of brush to burn or perhaps chip. Heck, you might wind up with a free helper or two, come and help cut and haul, just for the wood.

Before you do anything be sure to get an approved burn permit. Ah, but they are only legal a few months out of the year. Even after 10 inches of rain. You wouldn't want to do anything to get locked up, like light a burn barrel.

My neighbor removed the top and bottom of a steel drum and welded in a piece of expanded metal mesh as a bottom. He then put 8 inch legs on it. Very slick... air goes in ashes fall out ... very portable as well. He has maybe $30 in it and has been using it several years.

The Art of Burning Slash.

Slash is all those sticks and chunks that you want to burn.

Start out by piling the little stuff. Think of it as kindling. Then put big stuff on top. If you want, put a square of plastic on it just to give a dry spot or dry core to light later. Or you can burn in a downpour when it is safe using this method: I start a campfire up. I usually do this during the wet months and cheat with one of those waxy bricks sold as fire starter. I put dry firewood on it, let it get going--this is the hard part as it takes patience, and then start putting the smaller sticks on. When things are going good, and they will--even if the slash is green, I start throwing the limbs and chunks on.

Or, you can get a drip torch, or flame thrower that hooks up to propane, or many other incendiary devices. If the slash won't go, get a leaf blower and use it as a bellows.

We even used napalm but it was called alumigel. It was put into seal a meal baggies and we'd carry a rucksack full on our back. We'd have a few fusees (flares) or a drip torch and light the baggie and toss it into a pile. The piles have to be dry for that method.

Don' need no stinkin' barrel.

The Art of Burning Slash.

Slash is all those sticks and chunks that you want to burn.

Start out by piling the little stuff. Think of it as kindling. Then put big stuff on top. If you want, put a square of plastic on it just to give a dry spot or dry core to light later. Or you can burn in a downpour when it is safe using this method: I start a campfire up. I usually do this during the wet months and cheat with one of those waxy bricks sold as fire starter. I put dry firewood on it, let it get going--this is the hard part as it takes patience, and then start putting the smaller sticks on. When things are going good, and they will--even if the slash is green, I start throwing the limbs and chunks on.

Or, you can get a drip torch, or flame thrower that hooks up to propane, or many other incendiary devices. If the slash won't go, get a leaf blower and use it as a bellows.

We even used napalm but it was called alumigel. It was put into seal a meal baggies and we'd carry a rucksack full on our back. We'd have a few fusees (flares) or a drip torch and light the baggie and toss it into a pile. The piles have to be dry for that method.

Don' need no stinkin' barrel.

haha no burn barrel here either.
i grew up logging, we owned a farm/old farm, with a homemade firewood processor, and an old frick mill, that we used inbetween jobs, or if there was a lumber order,
all of the trash that fell off the logs belows the decks of the mill and processor/chips from the processor, would get piled up with the loader along with any yard debries,
it was a big pile 30+ ft in diameter 10-12 ft high, once a year we would take all of the used motor oil/hyrdaulic oil/bad diesel, haha even good diesel if need be, usually well over 150 gallons, put the barrells in the loader bucket and dump them all over the pile, then light it up, it would burn for well over a month, just had to keep an eye on it and clear everything around it, its in the middle of the pasture and the pasture has caught fire a time or two before :blob2:

All of the comments here are spot on. My neighbor has the exact same unit and while it may be the "Cadillac" of burn barrels, he never uses it. Just takes too long to wait for the stuff to burn down and add more. He now just throws it all in a big pile, ignites, and saves himself a lot of time. If you're willing to drive down to Maryland and want his, I'm sure he'd be willing to sell it to you since he's mentioned as much to me before.

I just purchased 6 acres of wooded land. There is a lot of dead wood/branches etc on the property. I will also be taking down quite a few live trees. Since I'm not a big fan of bon fires or fire pits, and right now have limited clear areas to use, and like the portability, I am considering the attached.

Expensive, but if it works like the claims on the website, could it be worth it?

Home Incinerator - Burn Barrel Replacement: Hi-Temp Burn Barrels

View attachment 299578

I think you need to gain an appreciation for an open fire, or buy a chipper with that $400.

Amen, brother Spidey, amen.

I can't imagine burning the limbs & brush from 1 acre in a barrel, let alone 6. You might have it done in two lifetimes.

I use one just for burning splitter trash and such, usually over an old stump I'm burning out. It is a s - l - o - w process compared to a bonfire. It does work well for keeping the coals on the stump though.

Half the fun of using a burn barrel is putting the holes in... I usually put .45 or .44 holes in mine.

JT

Personally, I like 12 ga, either 00 buck or slugs, depending on what's handy in the top drawer.

Before you do anything be sure to get an approved burn permit. Ah, but they are only legal a few months out of the year. Even after 10 inches of rain. You wouldn't want to do anything to get locked up, like light a burn barrel.

Permits? What are permits? We don't need permits here to burn, enclosed (barrels, fire pits, etc) are legal most of the year, unless we're in bad dry conditions (usually before green up in the spring), open fires are more subject to burn bans, but still no permit needed. A courtesy call to the 911 dispatcher is a good idea for bigger fires, or more guests than you planned on might show up when someone sees a 40' tall fire and calls it in.

My neighbor removed the top and bottom of a steel drum and welded in a piece of expanded metal mesh as a bottom. He then put 8 inch legs on it. Very slick... air goes in ashes fall out ... very portable as well. He has maybe $30 in it and has been using it several years.

I think turnkey4099 has a similar setup, says it burns hot and quick. I might make one myself one day.

haha no burn barrel here either.
i grew up logging, we owned a farm/old farm, with a homemade firewood processor, and an old frick mill, that we used inbetween jobs, or if there was a lumber order,
all of the trash that fell off the logs belows the decks of the mill and processor/chips from the processor, would get piled up with the loader along with any yard debries,
it was a big pile 30+ ft in diameter 10-12 ft high, once a year we would take all of the used motor oil/hyrdaulic oil/bad diesel, haha even good diesel if need be, usually well over 150 gallons, put the barrells in the loader bucket and dump them all over the pile, then light it up, it would burn for well over a month, just had to keep an eye on it and clear everything around it, its in the middle of the pasture and the pasture has caught fire a time or two before :blob2:

150 gallons of oil and fuel would burn for a long time, that is the half or so that didn't go into the groundwater. I can light a damn big bonfire on a 2 gallon can of 50/50 diesel and oil. If it's dry (even a little) when I burn a big brush pile, I'll get the farm machinery out and make a 30-40 foot ring of bare dirt around it before lighting.

Few things I look forward to more than lighting up a big pile of brush with lots of friends and cold beverages on a summer night.

Poor Mans version would be to cut large windows into your 55 gallon drum and tack weld some expanded wire mesh over the new windows...or you could just cut a bunch of holes into the drum and call it a day.

The washing machine tub works really well but does not last long.

I read on this website where someone took apart a washing machine and used the tub as a burn barrel. The tub already has holes drilled all over it and should do a great job. I have a 55 gal drum with a bunch of holes in it which works great to get rid of sticks in the yard, but I have often thougt about tearing the tub out of an old washing machine..

yup. been a couple of technical threads on them old tubs.
lighter stuff in washing tubs, heavier chunks into the dryer.
correct cycle setting is key, however, to a long trouble free live :laugh:

I think you need to gain an appreciation for an open fire, or buy a chipper with that $400.

Amen, brother Spidey, amen.

I use one just for burning splitter trash and such, usually over an old stump I'm burning out. It is a s - l - o - w process compared to a bonfire. It does work well for keeping the coals on the stump though.

Personally, I like 12 ga, either 00 buck or slugs, depending on what's handy in the top drawer.

Permits? What are permits? We don't need permits here to burn, enclosed (barrels, fire pits, etc) are legal most of the year, unless we're in bad dry conditions (usually before green up in the spring), open fires are more subject to burn bans, but still no permit needed. A courtesy call to the 911 dispatcher is a good idea for bigger fires, or more guests than you planned on might show up when someone sees a 40' tall fire and calls it in.

I think turnkey4099 has a similar setup, says it burns hot and quick. I might make one myself one day.

150 gallons of oil and fuel would burn for a long time, that is the half or so that didn't go into the groundwater. I can light a damn big bonfire on a 2 gallon can of 50/50 diesel and oil. If it's dry (even a little) when I burn a big brush pile, I'll get the farm machinery out and make a 30-40 foot ring of bare dirt around it before lighting.

Few things I look forward to more than lighting up a big pile of brush with lots of friends and cold beverages on a summer night.

the property is at the top of a big hill/small mountain, we had the well hydro fracked in 2001, the well is just under 1600 ft deep,
if the oil did seep into the ground, not likely as what we burn is mostly sawdust and bark, the sawdust soaks up the oil pretty quickly and it gets lit within minutes of dumping the oil on, so it just burns off, but if it did it would take a hell of alot more oil than 150 gallons once a year to make any noticable impact on well water.

we also clear around the pit about 50ft all around, we do it with the skidder if its there or just run around it with the disk behind the tractor.
if its windy and dry though it has blown some embers into the grass and lights the pasture up, the fire department doesnt like those calls:msp_scared:

Latest posts

Back