Burn time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK I know its been discussed before but what was the final consensus.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Burn time the definition when the coals are gone, when your backup heat kicks on, etc.

Wouldn't that be when the heat out put is no longer keeping up to the demand and your house cools off below the desired temp.

My point was that by the OP's use of Tapatalk - it's pretty safe to assume he's not new to the internets...And it's probably also safe to assume he's not new to internet forums. Thus, if he wanted meaningful answers to his question, perhaps things like stove type & size, hardwood/softwood use, moisture content, square footage, insulation quality/quantity, age of home, outside temperature and probably a dozen other variables should have/could have been stipulated.

But since they weren't stipulated, I'll play along. I can get 5 full days of burn time.

In my 2400 square foot 120 year old well insulated home, using 11 cubic feet of mixed hardwood at approximately 20% moisture content, in my P&M OWB, at 75 degrees F in July heating only my domestic hot water.

J1m Read the op the Definition of burn time ,not how long you can fire your owb during the summer heating your domestic water. Definition not how long Your stove will produce heat. Kindred and Cheese cutter get it.

Try as I might - I still have no idea what you're asking.

Good luck getting the info you desire.

I suppose you mean when your stove is no longer putting out any heat and needs wood added!
I usually come down some time in the middle of the night, especially lately with this extreme cold, to add wood! My stove will go until morning, say 6:00 AM, but if I want to keep up the Temerature of the stove I need to add 2 or 3 good pieces of oak!
So lately I'm going from say 9:30 PM to around 3:00 AM!!

My understanding is he is asking if a consensus was ever reached as far as what is considered the general overall definition of "burn time". Is it defined as bed time until morning, or 12 hours-when leaving for/returning from work, or from time of loading until it completely burns out, or splits burned to embers, or I added because I needed more heat, or... With an OWB I define my "burn time" as from when I load it until it's burned down to coals or embers and the water temp can no longer be maintained. It can vary from 8-24 hours depending on outside temp, load size, and wood being burned.

Burn Time??
To me, that's how long I can go between reloading and still maintain the house temperature at 71°... regardless of how many coals and whatnot remains in the firebox. In other words, even if there's 8 inches of coals in the box, if it ain't making enough heat to maintain 71° in the house, if house temperature is dropping... (useful) burn time has ended. I don't know how long I "can" make a fire burn in my appliance, I don't even care how long I "can" because it means nothing to me... burn time and sufficient heating time are the exact same thing to me.

So... with that said... depending on what type of wood I'm burning, how cold it is outside, how hard the wind is blowing, and at least a half-dozen more variables... my burn times can be as short as 5 hours to as long as 30 hours.

Now I can be more specific... if the question is specific.

First topic ever I thought it was an easy question but I guess the internet looses something I can't get my question across.

At first I thought you were addressing another post and perhaps hit the wrong button but then it sunk in.

I think burn time is a tricky number to come by. If we go by the thermostat and wait till it drops from say 70 to 69 and hit the stopwatch then burn times will reflect more on how well your house is insulated. I can crank my stove up high and get it 78-80 degrees in the house and it will stay warm for quite a long time but there won't be squat left for wood/coals because I ripped right through it. In fact by the time my house dropped to below the magic number the fire would almost non-existent.

I would measure burn time a few different ways
#1 How long the appliance puts out heat within a certain range.
My snap disc shuts the blower off around 120 degrees. At that point the blower driven air has lost almost all of its heating capability.
Now yesterday I loaded the stove at 4:30 am. I returned home from work 12 hours later at 4:30 pm. The blower was still on. Today (same times) the blower was off. 17 below zero this morning and only a high of 6.
So if I average out just those 2 days it's probably about 11 hours.

#2 House temperature
If I go the house temp route then today when I left it was 71 on a fresh load. No doubt the house temps rose to around 73/74. When I arrived home I was sitting at 65. Coldest return temp of the year. (there are a few other variables at play) So I would say my burn time for today, once temp dropped below 70, was probably only 6 hours.

#3 Diminished fire
If I go the route of adding wood once the coals have settled or lost their "split form" then it is averaging 4 hours.

So my burn times are as follows:
11+6+4=21
21/3=7
My burn time is 7 hours

This topic could require a few engineers, a mathematician, a meteorologist, a botanist, a host of scientists clad with physics degrees and no doubt a statistician to ice the cake.
I believe we have those right here on AS according to some of the posts I've been reading! LMAO!!!!!!!!

I haven't had to light a match in a loonnng time does that mean my burn time is 3 months

Ajr,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but did you really read your question/posts and think to yourself: "there's no possible way for me to communicate my question more clearly?"

I thought I did so but I did make it passed the first grade.

Latest posts

Back