Burn times in various OWB's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngzcaz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If there already was a post like this..sorry. I thought it would be interesting to read what other guys with different OWB's are getting for reload times. I have a small Shaver 165, this morning it was 15 degrees and the fire lasted approx 12 hours with junk wood. In a couple of weeks ( maybe less at this temps ) when I deplete the junk I'll find out what the good stuff is capable of.. I have a small home to heat, approx 1400 sg ft upstairs and 250 sg ft downstairs in a TV room. Next year there will be more baseboard in the basement to be sure.

:popcorn:

Timberwolf 3500 20f deg out 10 hours on willow 12 hours on popular and pine 14 to 16 hours on hardwoods. these times are a reload time not when the fire is almost out. as temps go down so does the burn times, the shortest time in between loadings was 6 hours when it was -20 deg. PS the wife likes the Tstat set at 78

burn time

I have a heatmore and find that the wind more than the temp is the determining factor.

15 here with 20 mph winds and I can go about 10 hours on white oak. It also depends a lot on the bed of coals you have. More coals longer burn with all else the same.

Been doing this for 4 years now and I can tell you when it is 0 with 30 mph winds you need to load up 3 times a day. Same temp and no wind only twice.

Note we keep house at 72 to keep Mrs warm.

Never had to fill more than twice a day no matter what temps/wind, as long as good seasoned wood.
Woodmaster 5500, heating about 3800sq. ft keeping it at 73.
I've packed her full, backed thermostats down to 65 and had it last 48 hours or more when away for weekends in 0 temps.

It's the energy efficiency of your house that's more critical than just the OWB or the firewood.

If you have a very energy-efficient building envelope, you'll consume proportionately less firewood than a same-sized building that is poorly insulated or has a larger air infiltration loss.

Steve

Twice a day when burning real wood. I only put in enough wood to last untill the next time I will be loading it. I'm burning pallets now and get about 8-15hrs. 15 is pushing it hard but the water temp will be over 140. Also I work 12hr shifts so I can't put in more wood when I should. A big coal bed is your friend. :clap:

once per day

My third year with my hardy H4 2000 sq ft basement 2000 sq foot first floor 1600 sq foot second floor two funaces t-stat 73 day 72 night I fill mine one time per day usually about 4:15 when I get home from work before it gets dark. nights when it gets down to zero all the wood will be gone, but always enough coals to get it started. temp goes up I have more wood left. house is only three years old though and I really went crazy on the insulation when I built it.
PS all hardwood oak, hickory

So far twice a day. It only uses half the load tops. I could probably go a full day. We have programable thermostats and a small home that I've been slowly re insulating and updating windows.

owb load times

I have an empyr 450 my house it about 1,900 Sq ft house built in the late 70's and my dads is 1,200 one year old double wide both have forced hot air and plate exchangers for the domestic hot water. I get about 24 hours between loads mixed hard woods and pine. I think the owb is the best investment I have ever made

4400 Woodmaster here and heating smallish home and work shop. Never have seen so cold that we HAD to put wood in more than twice a day. Coldest I remember was -10. This time of year if I had all Oak or similar grade wood I could almost go once a day when it stays above 20 or so. Actulay we have never "filled" it as we still cut our wood 20-24" so we have a lot of room up front even when filled in the rear. Burn time in my experince is close to the same with any decent quality OWB given equal parameters. Big variables are BTUS pulled from it, type if wood burned and of course how big the thing is to start with. Any of them will burn a long time if not delivering heat anywhere or if it is massively oversized for the load. I think one of the large Woodmasters with two doors would heat my place for two days on one filling but it looks to hold 1/2 a pick up load, LOL.

My second year with a Hardy H2 and stir it and add wood about every 12 hours, usually about 6:00am, and 6:00pm during the week. Weekends I burn more junk wood and don't check it until around 8:00am. I don't load it full unless it is really cold, teens to 20 during the day and single digits at night. I can always get 12 - 16 hour burns when using good oaks and hickory, might even throw in a solid piece of elm. House is 5 years old rancher, well insulated, stat set to 73. I love to see a good red bed of coals, easier to stir that way before adding more wood.

Hardy

One daily loading, more with temps in the teens and below Let burn down on weekends, scrape off build up with old hoe straitened out. some coals are recycled with scoop made of expanded wire welded to a piece of rebarb.

Load Times

I heat my garage floor, basement floor, tiled floor areas and heat ex in two forced air furnaces (house is about 3300 sq ft). I have a 7 year old house that is insulated well. I have a Woodmaster 5500 that is 300 ft from my house. I usually fill twice, but could easily make it on once if I had to using oak or ash that's dry.

I gotta make some changes in my garage. I put a new (much larger) xchanger in there and now it's about 8 hours max. I'll still have some coals after 10 -12 but for good heat 8 is about it. Prior to garage thing I went about 10 - 12.

BTW. My OWB is homemade.

This forum rocks! I was just thinking the very same thing this morning. I have a 20 year old Taylor T-450 with a 12 cu. ft. firebox, water temp set at 170F and I fill between 2-3 times a day. I have 1200 sq. ft. of in-floor in my drafty old farmhouse and temp is set at 73. I also have a Dodge truck radiator and box fan HX in my drafty old 30X40 shop and temp is set at 50 in there. By my calc, loading 3 times a day I burn through a cord in 3.5 days. At 2 times a day I would get 5 days out of a cord. From the sounds of others in this thread I would say my system is the least efficient. Maybe I should start saving up for a CB5036 or a Greenwood Aspen? On the flip side, $6K could buy a lot of insulation, windows and siding.

Probably better off insulating and see where you end up. Your useage could drop significantly.. by next year you might be able to buy a new or used one at much better prices than what most of us paid........or not : - )

:greenchainsaw:

Wood times a big farce

I have the Central Boiler CL 40. They claim up to a 72 hr burn.They must mean at 70 degrees in the summer.Best I can do is about 12 hrs on a half -3/4 load and using poplar.To be honest have yet to use good seasoned hardwood in it and it is a 1993 model.I usually sell the good stuff and burn the junk stuff myself.May upgrade next year if anyone in Albany NY area is looking for a furnace.No leaks yet.

Latest posts

Back