Burner law is passed by council IN MILLERSBURG PA.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Burner law is passed by council
By Louise James, staff writer

MILLERSBURG - Borough council, at its Oct. 8 meeting, adopted a 13-page ordinance regulating Outside Fuel Burning Appliances (heat plants located in the yard, outside the residence).

This ordinance applies only to OFBAs, and does not apply to outside cooking grills, inside heaters, nor patio burners, council said.

The ordinance was written due to concerns about air pollution problems that have surfaced in some communities with OFBAs, council said.

Regulations. The following lists some, but not all, of the regulations in the ordinance:

Must be located at least 200 feet from a neighbor's home;

The smoke stack must be 3 feet higher than the roof peak of any residence within 500 feet of the furnace;

The smoke stack may not be higher than 55 feet;

No OFBA may be installed or operated in a building used for human or animal habitation, unless designed and manufactured specifically for that type of use;

A scrubber or filter system must be attached to the unit;

A fan or blower system must be a part of the unit;

OFBAs may not be located within 25 feet of any structure without borough permission;

Must meet EPA emission standards;

No home-made OFBAs are permitted;

Only fuel specifically permitted by the manufacturer may be used;

No OFBA may be operated until it is inspected and approved both by an authorized representative of the Millersburg Fire Co. and an official representative of borough council;

A permit must be obtained before an OFBA is installed and operated. Permit fee is $100;

Ashes or waste cannot be accumulated on the property; it must be disposed of weekly with the trash;

OFBAs may be utilized from Oct. 1 through April 30;

No OFBAs may be operated on days that the EPA declares "air quality action day;"

Burning materials to be stacked and/or stored under cover, free from insects and rodents and

The smoke stack must be reinforced so that it is not a threat to anyone during high winds.

Prohibited fuel. The ordinance states that the following may not be burned in any OFBA in the borough:

Any wood that does not meet the definition of "clean wood;"

Garbage, household trash and newspapers;

Tires and tire products;

Waste petroleum products;

Paint and thinners;

Construction and demolition debris, fiberglass or asbestos products and plywood;

Manure and/or human waste;

Asphalt products;

Animal carcasses, or other animal by-products;

Plastic or rubber products, wire, and cable insulation;

Leaves or wet and soggy wood, grass clippings, and other vegetative matter;

Recyclable materials;

Batteries;

Bio-hazardous waste, bandages, wound dressings, syringes, etc. and

Materials that create a foul or offensive odor, or that cause smoke emissions that are reasonably offensive to occupants of surrounding properties.

Rapid response praised. Mayor Brian Musa congratulated council on its expeditious handling of this ordinance.

are existing OWBs grandfathered in?

If not, I would be contacting a lawyer so the city council can fund the installation of a suitable indoor EPA II wood stove or wood furnace.

Ian

:censored:

Those are some hard regulations to meet.

What does Meet EPA standards mean? Is that the orange label? I didn't think there was any current EPA regulations.

I see they closed the "loophole". (Installing a OWB inside a building.) But they would need a search warrant, that might get interesting.

Also no homemade OWB??

"No OFBA may be operated until it is inspected and approved both by an authorized representative of the Millersburg Fire Co. and an official representative of borough council;"

A official of the council??? Looks like a power grab to me.

Also in Millersburg PA?? The heartland??? What a shame.

"Rapid response praised. Mayor Brian Musa congratulated council on its expeditious handling of this ordinance."

I bet it was passed in the middle of the night with little or no voter approval.

Last edited:
I would find which city council members voted to pass something like that and dig up as much dirt on them as possible in an attempt to ruin their professional careers.

The long hand of government is reaching out.....

A couple of years ago we had an alderman that was adamantly against fireplace use and tried to garner support to pass an ordinance against their use. He lost that campaign and was later voted out of office.

Shari

A scrubber or filter system must be attached to the unit;

A fan or blower system must be a part of the unit;

No home-made OFBAs are permitted;

A permit must be obtained before an OFBA is installed and operated. Permit fee is $100;

What is a scrubber or a filter on an OWB?

Will Central Boilers with natural draft be illegal?

A permit?

I understand needing regulations in populated areas but sometimes they are just ridiculous.

What about these next-generation "converter" OWB's that are designed to be very low emission. Would these be permitted with less strict regulations. I think they mean a cat when they say "scrubber", and I don't know of any OWB's with cats, doesnt sound like a good idea to me.

OK so what prompted that township to make such a law? People burning other than wood?

Probably arseclowns burning green or rotten stuff without enough draft too close to neighbors. Most conventional OWB's smoke like a crazy foo even when theyre burning good dry stuff.

Unfortunately I can tell excately why a lwa like this is passed. As I type this I can see two outdoor boilers from my window. I live in an urban area! One is less than 30 feet from my house with a six foot stack. And they are both burning green wood. My house now smells like a$$. I love to burn wood. and I don't want to regulate people. BUt for some things where common sense isn't used I can see this.

Unfortunately I can tell excately why a lwa like this is passed. As I type this I can see two outdoor boilers from my window. I live in an urban area! One is less than 30 feet from my house with a six foot stack. And they are both burning green wood. My house now smells like a$$. I love to burn wood. and I don't want to regulate people. BUt for some things where common sense isn't used I can see this.

That sounds more like lack of consideration than anything else. Have you tried to talk to the neighbors?

I sure am glad I live smack dab on top of a mountain by myself.

I agree with you though. I see these wood eaters spewing smoke all the time. I think alotof it is the owner burning dam near anything in it.. ( once again lack of consideration)

Burner law is passed by council
By Louise James, staff writer

MILLERSBURG - Borough council, at its Oct. 8 meeting, adopted a 13-page ordinance regulating Outside Fuel Burning Appliances (heat plants located in the yard, outside the residence).

This ordinance applies only to OFBAs, and does not apply to outside cooking grills, inside heaters, nor patio burners, council said.

The ordinance was written due to concerns about air pollution problems that have surfaced in some communities with OFBAs, council said. Probably not, since when do they make extra work for themselves unless they are prompted to do so.

Regulations. The following lists some, but not all, of the regulations in the ordinance:

Must be located at least 200 feet from a neighbor's home; That's a bit far if you are also servicing the neighbors house with heat

The smoke stack must be 3 feet higher than the roof peak of any residence within 500 feet of the furnace;

The smoke stack may not be higher than 55 feet;

No OFBA may be installed or operated in a building used for human or animal habitation, unless designed and manufactured specifically for that type of use; Small loophole here still for unattached garages and sheds. Just no barns or kennels.

A scrubber or filter system must be attached to the unit; Does it need to be funcional ? OK, filter the incoming air.

A fan or blower system must be a part of the unit; So bolt a useless fan to it that points into space.

OFBAs may not be located within 25 feet of any structure without borough permission; OK, maybe this one closes off the unattatched garage or shed loophole.

Must meet EPA emission standards; At the time of install or manufacture ? Doesnt this conflict with the need for a scrubber or cat ? AFAIK they aren't required to meet EPA standards.

No home-made OFBAs are permitted; Someone must have had a real smoker of their own design for them to have thought of this.

Only fuel specifically permitted by the manufacturer may be used; That's a given, or should be.

No OFBA may be operated until it is inspected and approved both by an authorized representative of the Millersburg Fire Co. and an official representative of borough council; Gives them the oppurtunity to nose around your place and see just what all you have.

A permit must be obtained before an OFBA is installed and operated. Permit fee is $100; Well, Yeah ! They always have their hand out for more money.

Ashes or waste cannot be accumulated on the property; it must be disposed of weekly with the trash; I can forsee a lot of burning trash cans in the future of that burrough

OFBAs may be utilized from Oct. 1 through April 30; Seems if they were going to give permission for certain dates they should have excluded the use during the rest of the year. And if there is snow on the ground in May ? what then ?

No OFBAs may be operated on days that the EPA declares "air quality action day;"

Burning materials to be stacked and/or stored under cover, free from insects and rodents and So if one bug or mouse happens to find it's way into the councilmans wood pile of comfort wood is he to be fined ? I guess not , it isn't going to be fed to an OWB. The fine is just for the people that use OWBs.

The smoke stack must be reinforced so that it is not a threat to anyone during high winds. Oh Yes ! They want heavier 30ft smoke stacks to be torn loose and hurled through the air like a whirling dervish.

Prohibited fuel. The ordinance states that the following may not be burned in any OFBA in the borough:

Any wood that does not meet the definition of "clean wood;"

Garbage, household trash and newspapers;

Tires and tire products;

Waste petroleum products;

Paint and thinners;

Construction and demolition debris, fiberglass or asbestos products and plywood;

Manure and/or human waste; People actually do this ?

Asphalt products;

Animal carcasses, or other animal by-products; Are there enough BTUs in roadkill or carcasses to consider burning it ?

Plastic or rubber products, wire, and cable insulation;

Leaves or wet and soggy wood, grass clippings, and other vegetative matter;

Recyclable materials;

Batteries;

Bio-hazardous waste, bandages, wound dressings, syringes, etc. and

Materials that create a foul or offensive odor, or that cause smoke emissions that are reasonably offensive to occupants of surrounding properties.

Rapid response praised. Mayor Brian Musa congratulated council on its expeditious handling of this ordinance.

From the sounds of things the Mayor had some aggenda and put the minions to work making sure the rest of his neighbors kept feeding money to the Heating Oil companies in his area, Just like he does. You don't think maybe he might even be profiting from such an ordinance ?

Yeh this one got pushed through quick , post haste !
No mention of grandfathering existing users and just in time for the heating season. Sheesh !

Sounds like the residents of this burrough better get their permits or sleep cold since you can't operate one without it.

It starts in the East and slowly works it's way West.

Last edited:
I dont know anything about a OWB, few of them around here, but the whole thing sounds retarded.
The stack must be 3 ft higher than any building within 500 ft? I dont see how that is even close to being reasonable. My neighbors house is 27 ft tall. If I had an OWB, I would have to have a 30ft stack? How could you possibly even make a free standing stack that tall without guy wires of some sort going from the stack to the ground?It would look ridiculous.

nah... they will simply apply sundown provisions... meaning they will allow a certain number of years to pass before enforcing... usually 3 years or so for zoning changes.

city councils usually have access to staff attorneys and will have changes vetted before passing. it's very hard to fight city hall!

are existing OWBs grandfathered in?

If not, I would be contacting a lawyer so the city council can fund the installation of a suitable indoor EPA II wood stove or wood furnace.

Ian

I've got my signed permit in my file cabinet, they will have a fight on their hands if I'm told no more OWB's in my town. Maybe it's time to get on the zoning board to bring some clarity to the situation?

I am the Zoning Administration for a small town and we currently don't have an ordinance for an OWB's -but I think we should get one that is reasonable. We have some areas where the houses are built on 40 x 125 foot lots and there is only 5 or 6 feet between the houses. We also have very hilly ground and on some streets if the OWB was put in the back yard it would be at basement level for all the houses on the block - so with the standard size stack the smoke would be at the same level as the living areas in the homes.

I agree that having a stack that is higher than anything within 500 feet is unreasonable - but I believe that it does require a considerable distance to allow the smoke to dissipate. I have an OWB and live in the country and my closest neighbor is probably 600 feet away, and my OWB is about 100 feet from my house and most times the wind is blowing in a direction that takes the smoke away from our house. I have one extension pipe which makes my stack about 12 feet high and the OWB is behind my garage. On days that the wind blows toward my house I do smell smoke - 100 feet is not enough to dissipate the smoke. On days that there is little wind and it is very damp - the smoke just hangs around and is very noticeable around our property. If I had a neighbor within a couple hundred feet that was sensitive to smoke - I am sure that they would not like living next door to my OWB.

I believe in being a good neighbor and I don't play my stereo loud, I don't allow my dog to bark for no good reason, and I would never blow smoke into their faces (or yards, or homes). I really believe that OWB's are great for those of us who live in rural areas - but I don't believe it is reasonable to use them in subdivisions or when you have neighbors that are very close to your OWB. In those instances it may be appropriate to have an indoor burner with a catalytic converter or some other clean burn technology - but I believe it is unreasonable to install an OWB in those locations. (PS - I have no affiliation with any oil company and could care less about collecting taxes on petroleum products).

Hmmm...where is Millersburg anyway??? I'm like KTMrider, on my own little ridge....BTW, Rider, dunno where you are in W.Md., one of my son-in-law's is from the Oakland/Redhouse area.

Those are some hard regulations to meet.

I think that is the idea. Unfortunately, many people don't care about anyone other than themselves and certainly not about their own neighbors. I'm not a big fan of OWB's in residential areas, w/o some form of pollution control they simply don't belong there. Out in the country where your nearest neighbor is 1/4+ mile away, well that's a great place for one. But I can tell you I certainly wouldn't one within a couple hundred feet of my house. Even though I'm a wood burner, I support these laws because the jackazzes that place them in residential areas give us all a bad name. I personally think 200' is still too close (although I like the 500' stack rule), but I'm glad to see some areas are at least making an attempt to get a handle on this before it becomes a major issue.

Last edited:
Hmmm...where is Millersburg anyway??? I'm like KTMrider, on my own little ridge....BTW, Rider, dunno where you are in W.Md., one of my son-in-law's is from the Oakland/Redhouse area.

That's right up the road from me !! ( I was just in Oakland yesterday!) I live outside of Frostburg on a farm on top of Savage Mountain..

Back