Burning, Browning Arborvitae

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

villadrivers

Reaction score
I planted roughly 30 Arborvitaes back in early May (Massachusetts) and recently (August) a lot of them have started to burn or brown from the inside out, top to bottom. I have seen other posts and suggestions in reference to this problem and I thought I would post some pictures for some people to look at and hopefully come up with some ideas as to why this is happening. They weren't planted in burlap, they were in containers and I followed the planting instructions as stated on the tag. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Two things:
1. Arborvitaes, although evergreens, will shed foliage each year in the fall time. It will be older needles/leaves thus will be inner ones. Completely natural, nothing to worry about.
2. Newly planted trees like these were likely growing in a field for several years then dug up early in spring, potted, then planted by you into their new home. In the process much of the root system was lost so now there is more foliage than the roots can support. The trees are perhaps taking this opprotunity to balance the root to shoot ratio to one they can support.

Seeing the inner foliage on these guys turning brown at this time of year shouldn't be a cause for alarm. These brown parts will likely all fall off by spring. Outer foliage turning brown, however, is so keep an eye on them. Keep up regular watering through fall. Should be fine for ya!

Not Green Giant

THose are thuja occidentalis 'Smargrd' or emerald green arborvitae...talk about miserable...Their "feature" is that they dont brown out in the winter..but...they are super narrow and usually have bad branch attachemnt angle and tend to split...useless in my mind...

Two things:
Newly planted trees like these were likely growing in a field for several years then dug up early in spring, potted, then planted by you into their new home. In the process much of the root system was lost so now there is more foliage than the roots can support. The trees are perhaps taking this opprotunity to balance the root to shoot ratio to one they can support.

I really see no need to go further!:)

That was:
succinct, thourough, and to the point...with a nice oak finish.

Two things:
1. Arborvitaes, although evergreens, will shed foliage each year in the fall time. It will be older needles/leaves thus will be inner ones. Completely natural, nothing to worry about.
2. Newly planted trees like these were likely growing in a field for several years then dug up early in spring, potted, then planted by you into their new home. In the process much of the root system was lost so now there is more foliage than the roots can support. The trees are perhaps taking this opprotunity to balance the root to shoot ratio to one they can support.

Seeing the inner foliage on these guys turning brown at this time of year shouldn't be a cause for alarm. These brown parts will likely all fall off by spring. Outer foliage turning brown, however, is so keep an eye on them. Keep up regular watering through fall. Should be fine for ya!

Thanks, much appreciated

Back