Burning chain saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I asked the question at the end of another thread, but I'm hoping to up my education so I'll try perhaps a broader population.

Anybody have any accounts of a chain saw catching fire for any reason?

Thanks

I've only seen a couple of saws burn. One was run over by a cat which ruptured the fuel tank on an 066. The other saw was a landing saw that was being refueled...no funnel,out of a two gallon ju:dizzy: g with no spout. Draw your own conclusions.:censored

Long time ago, I over filled a 621 jonnyred, while it was still hot, and then fired it up, the spark must of set it off.....I was able to beat it out with my shirt, and finished the day falling timber, with a scorched 621.

I came close. Clearing/burning brush. Set Homey 360 down on a rotten stump and tended fire, turned around to see a cloud of smoke obscuring the saw. Fortunately the stump was just smoldering, not flaming thus no damage.

Harry K

Does intentionally burning one out of frustration count? If so I'm in.
John..

Bill,

I saw a home owner saw burn up after doing some cleaning up around his house and then set it down too close to the pile he was burning. COSTLY.
I did her of a IDL employee burn a saw in a hot tree he was attempting to cut once. Apparantly the tank hand a crack and the guy knew it but tried to cut a hot one anyway. Again COSTLY.
And othe than that I have seen a few bars get a Bit too hot.
Ask Robson and Skin about the tree on the Metolius RNA fire that they tried to cut with my saw. That bar got smoked.
Later

I did have my ms290 catch fire one time. I was having issues with the carb. It was fouling out. So Im 80 foot up an elm and I told my groundie to pull the spark plug to clear it out. He put the plug back into the plug wire and pulled it over.....well the spark ignited the fuel that sprayed outta the cylinder. He grabbed the water cooler....dumped it on it. Put the plug back into it and it fired right up. Well I havent had any problems with it loading up anymore. I dont know what the fire fixed....but it cured its problem.

whatsnext said:
Does intentionally burning one out of frustration count? If so I'm in.
John..

I lit a plastic remmington mighty mite on fire, that was good for a few laughs:laugh: That soft plastic burns pretty good!

Does this count? The landing man was tending a warming fire,ran out on the landing to unhook a turn,ran back to the fire just in time to watch the fire spread over his saw and set it on fire .:bang:

boboak:
One more detail and it'll count.
Was the fire spread sponsored by woody fuel or gas/gas vapor?

I did something similar to Chainsaw Master. Over filled the tank on an 064, and didnt wipe it off. Cranked it up and whoof, it burst into flame. Was on a steep mountain and I just pitched it down. By the time it stoped the flames were out. No damage done.

I threw a mag casing from a 200t into the fire to see if it would burn... YEP!!! lot more fun than the garbage can.

smokechase 2...I don't know but it looked like he'd set his saw down on the down-wind side of the fire. Could have been either one but the mood the side-rod was in didn't encourage anybody to ask questions. This happened on the same day that a skidder turned over,the shovel kept blowing hydraulic lines, and the fallers showed up late. Any of this sound familiar?:dizzy:

Back