Burning Mulberry for the first time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunNGun17

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I read about it, I was told about it, but till its sitting on a hot bed of coals in front of you, you really don't know what they mean by "very sparky" ! Wow this stuff is crazy, like how it burns, but I'm afraid to open the stove door!

Yeah you have to open the door slowly and leave it cracked open a few inches for a few seconds longer than normal, then be QUICK about adding more wood because the coals from the dying log can shoot sparks at you like its the 4th of July!

Good burning wood when dry and throws decent heat; very plentiful here in PA. like a weed.

Well I read about it, I was told about it, but till its sitting on a hot bed of coals in front of you, you really don't know what they mean by "very sparky" ! Wow this stuff is crazy, like how it burns, but I'm afraid to open the stove door!

Rep sent!

You should burn hedge sometime. It really puts on a fireworks show.

I got to cut a standing dead mulberry I'm burning now. This tree was so dry, the trunk had cracks 1" or more, so BONE dry on the stump. Awesome wood, and my morning favorite for cleaning the chimney then burning all day. And I have at least 5 more to get down when things are drier.

I cleaned up some storm broken mulberry from my sister in laws house...and yeah i can't wait to see this stuff go in the stove. by the sounds of it i'm going to hide it from the wife or she'll end up burning the house down :D

No bugs.....

Mulberry is quite a PIA when it comes to cutting and splitting. It cuts good (tough on chains), but is really tough to split. Did you ever notice there are NO bugs, insects or anything that eats that wood, and it even takes a LONG time to complete dry so it can be burnt. I have some of this wood drying for about 5 years and it does put on a show in the stove, but what is interesting is it was on the bottom of the pile on pallets next to the ground and there were absoultly NO bugs or anything that would eat this wood. Just amazing in my opinion. That's pretty bad when the bugs don't invade it!

Still better then Sycamore in all areas!!! Sycamores are only good for pulpwood in my opinion!

Craig

I want some of that hedge, but it doesn't grow wild around here. I'm sure it would grow here, I've seen it near the NC beaches, and in NoVa, so the temperature is okay. Where does it like to grow, what soils and exposure? I might plant me some!

I got to cut a standing dead mulberry I'm burning now. This tree was so dry, the trunk had cracks 1" or more, so BONE dry on the stump. Awesome wood, and my morning favorite for cleaning the chimney then burning all day. And I have at least 5 more to get down when things are drier.

You found a dead mulberry??? I didn't think that was possible. It takes a good two years to dry and my splits were sending up shoots from the woodpile! :dunno:

Had a Mulberry tree that grew up into 4 big trunks but kept leaning over the drive. Cut 2 down last year and cut the other 2 a few weeks back. Does burn good and gives off some heat. Dropped a big black Locust and Sycamore too. Have burnt honey locust but not the black. Gotta watch out for the big thorns on them. Never burnt Sycamore either. Guess I'll see how it burns next year.

I want some of that hedge, but it doesn't grow wild around here. I'm sure it would grow here, I've seen it near the NC beaches, and in NoVa, so the temperature is okay. Where does it like to grow, what soils and exposure? I might plant me some!

Grows abundantly here in Kansas, zone 5. I think its a fairly hardy tree. Planted as a fence line and windbreak years ago in this state. Native to Texas and Oklahoma

Have burned Mullberry and Hedge here in Kansas for 30 yrs. Hedge is my first choice. However if it is cut green, in the summer it can be invaded by a small insect that will bore into it and leave piles of wood dust about like flour. Can be a real pain when carrying into the house.

Can you post a pic of the stuff you're burning?

Have burned Mullberry and Hedge here in Kansas for 30 yrs. Hedge is my first choice. However if it is cut green, in the summer it can be invaded by a small insect that will bore into it and leave piles of wood dust about like flour. Can be a real pain when carrying into the house.

I get lots of that boring dust in my Hackberry

I get lots of that boring dust in my Hackberry

Those are locust borers... Can you stand by your wood pile in the summer and hear them munching??? Dirty little bastards... I'm burning two pieces of Hackberry right now as we speak... Underrated wood as far as I'm concerned... I like it...

You found a dead mulberry??? I didn't think that was possible. It takes a good two years to dry and my splits were sending up shoots from the woodpile! :dunno:

I didn't find A dead mulberry, I found A BUNCH of dead mulberry :tongue2:
None very big, only 1/2 cord a piece. Plenty of work to get them out though. Downside of living in the mountains.

Last edited:
Those are locust borers... Can you stand by your wood pile in the summer and hear them munching??? Dirty little bastards... I'm burning two pieces of Hackberry right now as we speak... Underrated wood as far as I'm concerned... I like it...

I hear them in the pile of pine rounds I never bothered to split!

Back