burning out a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frashdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What will kill one besides neglect or bad gas? Any one killed one? Any carnage? I do remember some one recently popping a sparkplug and threads or part of the head?

Some people have mentioned using a saw for too big a job, when you should be using a bigger saw.

I've got a 200t and 372xp they get worked hard at work and home. If I'm in big wood I just take my and let the saw do it's job.

Is running a saw wide open (cutting wood of course) too long a time bad? I would not think nor hope so at the cost and designed purposes of these pro saws.

I can only imagine a bar too big for a saw might not be good, dragging it down with lots of bite, never letting it wind up and hit the high note.

Air filter will kill it as quick as anything if it isn't cleaned and maintianed

Monk said:
TRUE! Keep your oil:gas ratio as close as possible, if anything run heavy on the oil.. You're bettter off fouling a plug than burning a piston.

About 5 years ago we had a run on some saws over a year ..heat seized a couple of 262's blew the piston apart on a 3120 and seized a 266,cleaned the filters every day and the oil mix was never lean on 2 stroke..the 262's were not evan year old put i put it down to we worked the bollocks outa them and somthing had to give...A friend of mine killed an 088 200t and an oil pump on a46 in the same day oh and the platform he hired broke! thats tree work for you:bang:

The only saw I can think of that I damaged or seized myself was a pole saw. It was the first job I was doing with the saw and I was cutting a branch that was WAY to high. The blade got pinched then the branch broke free wrapping the saw around the tree bending it up like a U.
Over the years I have picked up hundreds of used parts saws. Many have been crushed. Plenty have seized, strait gas still in the tank! I have seen some with chain damage due to running loose or incorrect installation, like holes in the gas tank/handle and hole in the case from the chain cutting it. I had one where the flywheel came loose and messed up the coil and recoil.

frashdog said:
What will kill one besides neglect or bad gas? Any one killed one? Any carnage? I do remember some one recently popping a sparkplug and threads or part of the head?

Some people have mentioned using a saw for too big a job, when you should be using a bigger saw.

I've got a 200t and 372xp they get worked hard at work and home. If I'm in big wood I just take my and let the saw do it's job.

Is running a saw wide open (cutting wood of course) too long a time bad? I would not think nor hope so at the cost and designed purposes of these pro saws.

I can only imagine a bar too big for a saw might not be good, dragging it down with lots of bite, never letting it wind up and hit the high note.
372 will go thru most wood , straight gas will kill it quick train yer groundies how to check fer mix, run it full bore when cutting tank after tank after tank, sounds like yer cutting right , yer 200 is an excellent saw designed for aerial work when yer down to the stick and you dont feel like bore cutting next to your jugular call for the 372, buddy o mine had a few smaller bars for it 24-32 seeing as how they were his only saws oh yeah and plugs are cheap and pretty quick to replace, brought my old490 sereds to the mechanic, it stopped starting and running, i was worried cause its wicked old, he said this saw is tired and should be replaced , i went to try a new plug and realized that the coil inside the boot had turned sideways, jacked it over with a mini screwdriver and im back cutting, almost gave it in for the bag and drag sale ,so far so good

Running a chainsaw over with a bucket truck followed by a chipper will kill them pretty quick. Feeding the saw to a chipper "accidentally" will also do it. Have seen both happen in the past when working with some cowboys on a removal outfit.

My observation is that the more people that share a saw the worse it's odds. I don't share my saws very often. Seen too much abuse by crew members that share a pools of saws and don't seem to feel any responsibility. Like taking a couple more cuts after the chain is dull because it is your boss's saw.

I had a saw fall off a man-lift with me...it hit the ground first. I bounced, it didn't. Bent bar, broken clutch cover, broken kickback handle. Tough saw, it was a Dolmar 112.

That's why you run tilton super bars they are so heavy they drop bar down like a dart and stick in and save the saw

You may laugh bit I've seen it alot of times

the guys up here used to LOVE their Tiltons

LAWN DARTS!

Good idea, next time i'll tie my saw off to the lift rig. If I was tied to the rig I wouldn't have bruised my shoulder and ribs. 14 feet is a long way down.

The ground just seems to leap up at you. I was more worried about my proximity to a still running chainsaw. Would have been a hoot to survive the landing and then have the saw chop me in half.

No one got it on camera. Darn the luck.

I thought from the thread title this would be more :angry2: fire:angry2: related.

I've had 5 saws completly engulfed in flames. 2 were in the winter and were doused with snow and somewhat salvaged, the others I just had to let burn.

1, a big old mac, went sky high when the contents of the tank got it. Afterwards, I actually cleaned it up, replaced the fuel lines and it ran just fine. Gotta love all metal construction.

I set a remington Mighty Mite on fire one year as a halloween decoration. Had the bar stuck in the ground and a flaming ball of plastic/gas chainsaw goo ontop of it.

Had a CD1100 piston split from bad skirt wear.

I grabbed the wrong spray can to check for an air leak and lit a 925 on fire with carb cleaner. Had to carry it outside and hose it off. Usually there is no carb cleaner on the bench but I had just finished rebuilding a mower carb and left it sitting in the wrong spot. Laziness always teaches expensive lessons.

Monk said:

Actually the air filter will do little to affect the saw life- just make the saw run richer and richer as it blocks.

What kills the saw is the user compensating for the blocked air filter by messing with the crab, then one day the filter gets cleaned or replaced without the carb being readjusted....

If the air filter gets holes it in from aggressive cleaning, goodbye piston.

What will kill a saw is a bad FUEL fiter... Just change it, or the insert, once a year.

Last edited:
Fuel Filter

Lakeside53 said:
Actually the air filter will do little to affect the saw life- just make the saw run richer and richer as it blocks.

What kills the saw is the user compensating for the blocked air filter by messing with the crab, then one day the filter gets cleaned or replaced without the carb being readjusted....

If the air filter gets holes it in from agressvie cleaning, goodbye piston.

What will kill a saw is a bad FUEL fiter... Just change it, or the insert, once a year.

To be honest, I never knew my saws had a fuel filter. Where's this at on an 044 Lake? Are these the ones in the tank your talking about? That little one that rattles around???

Latest posts

Back