burning out a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ciscoguy01 said:
To be honest, I never knew my saws had a fuel filter. Where's this at on an 044 Lake? Are these the ones in the tank your talking about? That little one that rattles around???

That's the one... Hook it out though the gas filer and change it. Don't use any old junk - get the high-flo stihl filter. $5.65 each.

saws

I skydived for years and it an't the fall that gets ya, its the sudden stop>>>>>>Have a buddy drop a melon from two stories up and ya get the idea and sound effects .

Doc

Doc,

Luckily all parachutes have a 100% guarantee. Bring it back if it doesn't open and they'll give you another one. I went to college with a Marine that packed chutes for a living...at any time, his seargent can tell him to grap the chute he's packing and go jump with it. That's quality control.

Lakeside53 said:
What will kill a saw is a bad FUEL fiter... Just change it, or the insert, once a year.

How does the bad fuel filter kill the saw? Restrict flow? Fail and pass particles? Something to do with water?

In general I am very conscientious about maintenance, but with filters maybe I need to rethink.

Last edited:
Yes, restricts the flow, and when bad, to the point where the saw will run lean.

If you have the old sponge core filters, eventually they will deteriorate and particles of the filter will block the carb screen.

If you have the little zama felt filters, they fall to prices and block the carb.

It's all in the owners manuals..

Latest posts

Back