Burning painted wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrx-snowdrift

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So the father-in-law bought the POS house next door to his and is in the process of tearing in down. He's been saving a lot of the wood to burn in his wood furnace in the basement. He's been saving some of the wood siding which is painted. I told him he was crazy to burn painted wood in his house, especially considering the stuff is so thin and dry it probably burns like paper, so not very many BTUs for all the effort and risk. Thoughts?

don't know, is it lead paint? Not sure I would like to be outside breathing whiffs of it or in case the inside stove leaked some.

With that said, I admit I have burned a real small amount, basically as kindling.

That much I personally wouldn't recommend, it even though I have burned it, and dry rotted treated lumber but that was all split into kindling or in the fire pit but it was a peice here and there

The house was built in the 20s, so I'm sure it has some lead paint. I agree that it's probably not a good idea, the trick is convincing him. He already has a bunch all cut up and stacked.

All the EPA people tell us not to burn painted wood.

Therefore it's probably good for the environment to do so.

I've burned a little bit of painted wood and a bit of treated wood, and the sky hasn't fallen. Still, with so much other stuff available, and having a lot of ways to throw junk away for free, I don't need to burn every bit of wood I find.

That's lame. I'd guess no trash burn barrels either? That's how I take care of the trash here.

I hope you will not have your child in the house( if you have one) this winter while he's burning lead paint. Hes being a cheap ass and trying to get out of hauling it to the dump..............

Now. Personal note. Quit trying to tell your FIL what to do or not do, they don't like that. Just offer to help get it all burnt up in a hurry when no children or women of child bearing age are around. The fine for mis disposal of lead paint around here starts in the $1000 range, they want all contractors licensed to deal with it to just work in a home built pre 70's

Might not be the greatest idea in the world but I doubt the world will stop spinning if he does.

Now. Personal note. Quit trying to tell your FIL what to do or not do, they don't like that. Just offer to help get it all burnt up in a hurry when no children or women of child bearing age are around. The fine for mis disposal of lead paint around here starts in the $1000 range, they want all contractors licensed to deal with it to just work in a home built pre 70's

I just need to tell the mother-in-law and my wife that he's putting our daughter (2 year old) at risk and then they'll gang up on him. Problem solved. Work smarter not harder.

The house was built in the 20s, so I'm sure it has some lead paint. I agree that it's probably not a good idea, the trick is convincing him. He already has a bunch all cut up and stacked.
Latex's didn't come on the scene until the mid 70's…so the home has at least 2-3 coats on lead based paint.

At the risk of sounding like an *******, only someone with a low IQ would think its a good idea to burn painted wood especially old painted wood.

Didn't we use to burn gas in are cars with lead in it? Burn the wood . I'm guessing he was just gonna burn the wood on a pile anyway. I'm sure no one would treat it as hazardous waste. I bet most of the paint is laying on the ground around the house anyway.

Latest posts

Back