Burning Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streeter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
All I can say is Yeah baby!

I burned semi wet pine at the end of last year and when I cleaned my chimney last week, I did not have much build up. I was scared by all the na sayers and saying all the creosil build up. I scrubbed for over 20 minutes that is all I had was light fluffy black build up and that was only in the last 2 feet of the chimney:cheers:

This years seasoned wood is burning awesome (so far). It is below 14% moisture, lights with little paper, very little ash and has decent burn time (had to open window with just 8 pieces).

Soo far so good:clap:

Pine, or any certain species of tree, doesn't cause creosote; moisture does. I've found that pine leaves a very small fraction of the ash that hardwoods leave:cheers: .

I guess I would say wood is wood when it comes to creosote buildup. I know it doesnt have the btus of hardwood but if its free Id take it and burn with no problem.:cheers:

I'm looking forward to burning this pile of pine which I got free. I can also use it in my firepit.

Wrong pic of pine in first post. That was the before; this is the after.

Ive always found that burning pine does cause more buildup inside the chimney/stovepipe.
I personally wont burn pine for that reason. For me, pine is strictly campfire/bonfire wood.
I'll stick to burning birch, cherry, hickory and oak.

You name it. I'll burn it. I burn a lot of cedar. Way more oily than regular pine. No build up to speak of. Burn hot every few days and anything in the chimney will clean out. Have fun with the pine! Burn it! Burn it! Burn it!

pine

I burnt some pine last year that was some what wet, it did create some build up. I have been burning from the same tree this year and there is no build up what so ever. Dry wood = no build up

Streeter, if you can go to the area of the Rodeo Chedeski fire; there's ponderosa pine falling over everywhere !

KRS

Last edited:
I will burn just about anything about the only trees prevelant around my area/
1. Pine......easy cut, easy split, good heat
2. Mesquite...easy cut, tough to split, good heat
3. Tamarack.....tough on chains, tough to split, very good heat, lots of ash
4. Eucalyptus..Brutal on chains, fair splitting, excellent heat

You east coast boys have it easy and can be picky. I love my pine :clap:

I sell my hardwood and keep most of the pine myself. If it's dry it theres no more build up than oak or maple, just not much fun to burn if you have an open fire place though.

I will burn just about anything about the only trees prevelant around my area/
1. Pine......easy cut, easy split, good heat
2. Mesquite...easy cut, tough to split, good heat
3. Tamarack.....tough on chains, tough to split, very good heat, lots of ash
4. Eucalyptus..Brutal on chains, fair splitting, excellent heat

You east coast boys have it easy and can be picky. I love my pine :clap:

====

I don't know what kinda Tammark you burning, here in my neck of the woods it's the preferred forest wood.. No harder on chains then anything else, green/wet it can be a little tough to get the first split from there on out in a breeze, dry it 's childs play to split and leaves very little ash, great heat an last a good while. We in the North West burn mostly pine of on kind or another, have no problem with creasote if fully seasoned. Generally I don't burn much Ponderosa but may start as Tammark and Red Fir are getting harder to find in the open to cutting areas of the National Forest...

====

I don't know what kinda Tammark you burning, here in my neck of the woods it's the preferred forest wood.. No harder on chains then anything else, green/wet it can be a little tough to get the first split from there on out in a breeze, dry it 's childs play to split and leaves very little ash, great heat an last a good while. We in the North West burn mostly pine of on kind or another, have no problem with creasote if fully seasoned. Generally I don't burn much Ponderosa but may start as Tammark and Red Fir are getting harder to find in the open to cutting areas of the National Forest...

The tammarack around here grows in washes so there is lots of sand in the trees, and the ash is unbelieveabe, lots of ash.

Ive always found that burning pine does cause more buildup inside the chimney/stovepipe.
I personally wont burn pine for that reason. For me, pine is strictly campfire/bonfire wood.
I'll stick to burning birch, cherry, hickory and oak.

Send the pine to my place then... i will properly dispose of it. :greenchainsaw:

The tammarack around here grows in washes so there is lots of sand in the trees, and the ash is unbelieveabe, lots of ash.

===

Would be interested in seeing some pictures of standing trees. Tamarack here grows above 3000 ft el. 100 to 150 ft and more in height, 3ft diameter is common, very straight grained, although the ocassional barber pole grain pops up. Leaves very little ash when burned.

===

Would be interested in seeing some pictures of standing trees. Tamarack here grows above 3000 ft el. 100 to 150 ft and more in height, 3ft diameter is common, very straight grained, although the ocassional barber pole grain pops up. Leaves very little ash when burned.

Not ours, looks like brush/scrub, but does have bases thick. I think I have a peice or 2 out in my pile that is left over from last year, I can take a picture. I can tell you that the wood when freshly cut has a pineish looking yellowish/white outer ring and the core is dark red that *to me* resembles mahagony color but very stringy when trying to split.

Latest posts

Back