Burning White Oak.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woody got it, the oaks sizzle like hell if not completely dry.
2 years under cover is a minimum for burning oaks.
Prefer beech, yellow birth, hard maple when we can cut them.

I was able to get some White Oak this year from some topping that had been done in my friends woods. Can not wait to see how it burns next winter. How does it compare to the Red?

I was able to get some White Oak this year from some topping that had been done in my friends woods. Can not wait to see how it burns next winter. How does it compare to the Red?

Technically by the numbers a little better, practically I haven't seen any huge difference. That's just me though, feeding the smogger. Guys with more precise stoves and thermostats and keeping tabs in notebooks etc will have a better idea.

2 years under cover is a minimum for burning oaks.
Oh no‼ Really?? It has to be under cover?? And for two whole years??
Damn... I've been doing it wrong for decades.
:laughing:
I've been stacking it like this... sometimes for only 10 months or so, depending.

aStacks_2012-05_4.JPG

Spidy strikes again.
How many cords you got there ?
With all that you got no time for any fun.
I defer......................

How many cords you got there ?
That picture is from 2012... looks like somewhere in the 11-12 cord range.
I'm at work right now, but at home I have pictures of the same area with closer to 17 cord stacked.
The sad thing is, right now, there's only about 4 cord in that area... but another 4 stacked in the basement next to the furnace.

Oh no‼ Really?? It has to be under cover?? And for two whole years??
Damn... I've been doing it wrong for decades.
:laughing:
I've been stacking it like this... sometimes for only 10 months or so, depending.

View attachment 392682

Sorry, but those stacks are FAR too neat. :chop:

As to the OP, white oak is my favorite. Burns better and dries quicker than other oaks. Got some on deck tonight as we're supposed to dip below zero for the first time this year.

I should have said white oak for me is a 2 year drying process, northern red here is 3 or more before it's at it's best.
The joy of living in the great white north in a location surrounded by great lakes and usually rainy summer of only 3 months.
You millage might vary for oak drying.

That picture is from 2012... looks like somewhere in the 11-12 cord range.
I'm at work right now, but at home I have pictures of the same area with closer to 17 cord stacked.
The sad thing is, right now, there's only about 4 cord in that area... but another 4 stacked in the basement next to the furnace.

Quite windy where you are, not that way in a lot of areas. That extra near year round wind helps with oak. Also, that stacking in the basement, which is now "covered" and what heat they get there also helps.

Two years outside around here man, for oak. One year it will burn, two years, it burns well. There is a noticeable difference. You can tell with magic meter, clank method, visual, more cracks and graying, plus, lighter in the hand. Two full summers for oak. *Here*

All situations are different. I bet some places in the hot high desert you can get crinkly dry wood in two months maybe.

Getting the oak to try that out though, might be hard....

We got Oak Envy, along with Beech Envy, Yellow Birch Envy......any good hardwood that don't grow here.
And no Spidy, I don't have THAT envy. :eek:
With all that wood, when do you have time for...........fun ?

We don't get near as much white oak here mostly red. It burns and dries about the same. I have a nice one to take down on a friends place that we need to get soon. We got a nice one that fell during an ice storm last year that we have made some killer bbq with. My dad has also burned a little for heat as well. He will probably get into it good this week. Supposed to be pretty cool the next few days.

Latest posts

Back