Busted MS290 question....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polycop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a MS290 with a scored piston and cylinder and once it warms up I was planning on doing the acid thing on the cylinder to see if it cleans up. Then I was planning on getting a new piston ($30) and/or piston / cylinder ($150). I'm also checking ebay looking for a decent used one which seem to go for around $240 (using my broke one for parts).

Right now there's a guy selling a broken MS290 that was ran with the brake on cooking the clutch and such it in the process. If I were to get it, it should be a simple swap with the parts from my broken one right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270524857119&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm thinking that might be a cheaper way to go as I really don't know why my old saw went lean and I hate to put a new piston / cylinder / fuel line in it and toast it again. Thoughts from the group?

Go for the 390 / 039 top end. Power is better, cuts faster. Simple swap.

I'm clear on the 390 top end but they are hard to come by as everyone seems to want them.

Go for the 390 / 039 top end. Power is better, cuts faster. Simple swap.

Good luck with that. 49mm top ends are few and far between. They bring almost new prices on greedbay.

I've got a MS290 with a scored piston and cylinder and once it warms up I was planning on doing the acid thing on the cylinder to see if it cleans up. Then I was planning on getting a new piston ($30) and/or piston / cylinder ($150). I'm also checking ebay looking for a decent used one which seem to go for around $240 (using my broke one for parts).

I have had about a 50% success rate at cleaning up 290 cylinders. (I have done dozens) They have grooves about half of the time. Some of the worst looking ones clean up, and the mildest scores are sometimes grooved. You'll only know if you try. FYI, I just built one with a grooved cylinder that the guy insisted I put it back together. The groove was small, but that one is a tree service saw. It has already made it several weeks.

Right now there's a guy selling a broken MS290 that was ran with the brake on cooking the clutch and such it in the process. If I were to get it, it should be a simple swap with the parts from my broken one right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270524857119&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT?

You will have to remove the rear bar stud on both engines to swap them intact. The stud is almost always mangled when you remove it. Remember that the four through bolts on the bottom are all that holds the engine crankcase halves together. Once you remove them, you run the risk of developing an air leak. Also, the one that burned up a clutch certainly got VERY hot in that area. While I seldom see bad crank seals on 1127 saws, I'd be willing to bet that the clutch side one is cooked on the saw you are looking at. You'll have to split the engine to change that ($15) crank seal. That $15 plus the cost of the replacement saw is certainly more than the cost of a $30 meteor piston from baileys. I'd just try to fix what you have there. Plus, you never knw how hot the crankshaft got on the burn-up saw. It may have considerably weakened the shaft. Now you went through all of the trouble and installed a new engine and seal, only to have the end of the crank wring off and take out the good engine cradle and oil pump on your saw.

I'm thinking that might be a cheaper way to go as I really don't know why my old saw went lean and I hate to put a new piston / cylinder / fuel line in it and toast it again. Thoughts from the group?

The old one most certainly leaned out due to cracked fuel line or lean factory jetting, or both. You need a piston kit, a fuel line, and a drywall screw to remove the limiter caps on the carb. Get out the dremel and mod the muffler while you have it apart, and you'll be very happy when done.

if you want to invest that much money in that --how should i say it--

"not quite commercial quality" stihl it is your call.

when my 029 super croaked i was in the same boat. while i was looking for the expensive parts to fix that turd. i stumbled on a 044 for $75 that still ran! it needed a clutch and a bar-- still came in much less expensive to fix than the 029 and a much better saw to boot.

i would say at least look around. there has got to be something better around.:greenchainsaw:

B200, other stuff getting hot was what I was afraid of. I'm thinking I'll pass.

JD548, I'm clear on the issues with the ms290. I've got another saw (Husky 359) and would like to get the MS290 going as a rescue saw for when I pinch the 359. I've also got lots of extra parts (chains, air filters and a coil) for the 290 and hate to totally junk it.

I'm thinking I'll just try to clean up the cylinder and stick a new piston in it or keep on the lookout for a decent used one (then I'll tons of spare parts).

Thanks again guys,

I think you have the right idea,try to save the cylinder,if you can't maybe a parts saw will show up for you.
if you take your time and put her back together,you'll have a nice backup saw.

I think you have the right idea,try to save the cylinder,if you can't maybe a parts saw will show up for you.
if you take your time and put her back together,you'll have a nice backup saw.

+1

try to fix it without pouring good $$ in it. later your gonna want a 044 anyways!

Latest posts

Back