Buy new or repair the old??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep you got time!

That outside crack does not look too serious. As mentioned earlier if you drill a small hole at the end of the crack you can stop it from getting any bigger.

....I hope I did not offend you.....
My thinking is that you most likely won't get another 30 years from it.
So with this tax credit you can buy a new one like our for a price you'll never see again. Then you'd have somehting to last the next 30 years or better.

Buying local may be a way but think about no markup vs the retailers markup.
They do not have any way to burn smoke off which nets you another 30-40% of the possible btu's like the Jacks have.
Beefie...you bet.We still build them like they were 40 years ago and they have demonstrated with history a great track record.
Burning less wood with longer burn times over decade of depedable operation says that maybe...just maybe it's time to retire your ole buddy.
I mean why take chances.Will the guy the welds this old one up guarentee it will not fail when you need it most?

I'm not saying ...go out and buy a Jack...get what you think will do the job for the $$$$ you may have.
We are not talking about frivolus matters here.This is your home,and there is a lot that rides on your furnaces ability to operate safely.

Nah...

I'd pull the trigger on a Jack in a heartbeat if the shipping wasn't so darned expensive. Which I completely understand why it is, heck it's a great big heavy piece of iron!

At a 1400 mile round trip picking it up it costs me even more in fuel and a room for a night. Just wish I was closer is all I suppose.

Glad I have time on my side to make this decision.

Cheers!

Back