Buyer tips for Stihl Ebays sales?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not doing any professional work (right now). I’m doing mostly firewood work for myself. But I’m on the more intensive side of homeowner use so I need something with more power, capability, and durability. I may have bought too little a saw with the 210. I'm thinking I should have purchased nothing less than a mid-range, if not a pro-grade saw.

I am finding that I can cut 30 inch diameter wood with my 16 inch bar on the 210 but it takes a LONG time. I'm also worried about overworking the engine. Will I prematurely wear the 210 out trying to make it do the work better suited for a 390, 361, or bigger/more powerful?

Hence I am looking at getting a larger displacement saw. I’d like to run long bars and be able to cut through a piece in one pass. That said, I know I don’t need or want anything with a 30+” bar. I’d instead be satisfied with 24-25”.

Assuming the 361 is my choice, since I can throw a 16" bar on it, is it better to get the 361 and have a couple different bar/chain combos for it or to own both the 210 with a 16" bar and the 361 with a 20-25" bar?

I’m partial to Stihls but open to alternatives if you can suggest a comparable saw in the 361 range for less $$$.

If you're gonna do the 290 series, and you can afford it, do the 390. But if you can swing just a bit more you're looking at the 361 which is a better saw in every respect.

JMO.

Jeff

Jeff and others have pretty much covered the waterfront on this. I would just add to what others have said about patience. If you are hot to trot and have an pressing need then you probably need to go to the dealer. If you can watch for 6 months or more then you may find a deal. Some of the guys here wouldn't buy a saw on Ebay and I can understand that. I'm careful about who I buy from. If you set up some search parameters on Ebay, you will see there are a few sellers who are up front, sell a lot of saws and stand behind what they are selling. I have got my 2 best deals from...believe-it-or-not... Pawn Shops that sell on Ebay. Pawn shops usually know 2-cycle equipment enough not to take in junk. Both of these shops had 100% positive feedback and listed their phone numbers. One offered a 3-day no questions asked return and they would pay return shipping.

You also get stuff like this, which, although he is describing what he is selling, he is being rather deceptive to the unwary:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STIHL-192T-Pr...882QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300077137550

Yes, he admits he is selling a 192T...but also says it is the "new light 200T" - as if that is some sort of advantage over a 200. Currently going for £330, which is about $660 (+shipping!) at the moment.

I think if you really know what you are looking for, and know how much it will cost to fix the likely problems, eBay is mostly OK. If I look at a price on eBay, I always assume that I would need to budget for a new cylinder and piston at least. I bought an old, tatty 07-S off eBay for $30 and as a project saw, its been great. Generally saws go for way over what they are worth.

I don't know what is the norm in the UK but that seems like a HUUUUGGGEEEE rip off on that 192T

i have bought several saws on ebay with excellent results.

i go by two simple rules other than feedback.i give a little here because if you have sold on ebay you know you always have to deal with a couple screwballs.

rule 1) if it looks like hell,it's because it's been through hell.avoid!

rule 2) never pay more than 65% of what a new one goes for.

I don't know what is the norm in the UK but that seems like a HUUUUGGGEEEE rip off on that 192T

You're not kidding. It went for £410 - about $800. That's pretty close to a 200T price. Someone is going to be gutted when they get that saw. Not that it is a bad saw - I've got one, but it it isn't £410 worth of saw.

Update: you can get a 200T for £430, with a bunch of free accessories (can, oils, eye shields, files). Including shipping, that 192 went for £422. Ouch!

Last edited:
You're not kidding. It went for £410 - about $800. That's pretty close to a 200T price. Someone is going to be gutted when they get that saw. Not that it is a bad saw - I've got one, but it it isn't £410 worth of saw.

Update: you can get a 200T for £430, with a bunch of free accessories (can, oils, eye shields, files). Including shipping, that 192 went for £422. Ouch!

Just a thought, maybe used ones command premium prices in the UK, because not everyone are allowed to buy a new one????:bang: :bang:

I'm not aware of 200Ts commanding premium prices - and I could buy one easily, even without a certificate. There are also loads of 200Ts on eBay going for less than that 192!

The certification requirement is pretty daft: you can't buy a 200T...but you can buy an MS880 with a 48" bar. Go figure! :laugh:

I buy and sell Stihl chainsaws on ebay; and, have had good luck so far. If you are going to buy from ebay; now is the time as this is the end of the firewood season and the 'newbies' are not bidding everything up beyond its real value. In fact some of them are now selling their saws at decent prices.

My tip is 1) Know what you want and what you are looking for, 2) Monitor the Newly Listed for the "Buy it Now" entries. 3) Look for saws that are mis identified or erroneously listed as few read the details and will not bid much on them. For example, there is a 260 on ebay now listed as an 026 and no one has bid on it in several days. 4) Look for the existence of the paper bar code on the front of the saw; this means its a saw that has been hardly used. 5) Finally, if you've never bought on ebay, then monitor the listing, bidding and selling of several saws first to learn how the bidding game is played. My rationale is to either use the 'Buy it Now' if its listed under its value; or to sweat it out to the last minute before I bid. Point being, is learn the ebay game or you can get taken and/or miss out on a good saw.

You will be amazed at the people who mis list and/or under price good saws. I bought an almost new 360 Pro for $300 a while back, that was listed by a newbie for "Buy it Now" price, he had used it to clear blow down off his lot after a storm in Florida and put it in his garage for almost a year. Paper bar code was perfect on the front of the saw.

I've bought three 361's for around $400 each, paper bar code was almost untouched, saws had less than two tanks of fuel through them. Not even broke in yet.

As Jeff says: Be patient and if you are going to sweat one out; don't bid on it until the last minute and then bid at your highest price you want to pay. This will often get you the saw; and, usually at a price less than you have bid.

Latest posts

Back