buyers remorse mitigation plea from non-pro part-time farmer-type.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ludwiggler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
When I described my latest garage sale impulse buy my Dad's first words were, "caveat emptor." Can you put my buyers remorse to rest?

I paid $175. I've needed a farm saw so I bought a Stihl 029 super and I'm aware they don't make this one anymore. It seems to start and idle great at factory carb settings. I buzzed through some old tough mulberry stump and it seemed to have some good power. More than I'm used to. I checked the compression with a cheap compression tester and its close to 120 after a few pulls. Carb looks pristine. Haven't looked at the cylinder. When I ran it I can see a very light spray of oil coming off the bar and chain at the tip and bar is lightly lubricated but wondering if its enough. I took the chain and bar and ran it to see the oil pump working. should oil be really spraying out or just flowing out? It did use up the bar oil however it seemed like the bar was getting hot. Not really smoking a ton but a little.The husky I've used seemed to throw more oil off the bar. I'm obsessing. I have no idea on age.

Questions:
1: Did i pay too much for a used-up older saw?
2: Is the oil pump working properly?
3: Other than the faded decal label View attachment 179311View attachment 179312View attachment 179313View attachment 179314View attachment 179311View attachment 179312View attachment 179313View attachment 179314where do I find a way to date this thing?
4: Is it quick to remove muffler and look at cylinder? It didn't seem obvious to me how to do it.

The worth of any purchase is up to the buyer ultimately. Did you pay too much? Probably not, but if you shopped around more you could have found a better deal. The 029 Super is a decent saw. The 029/039 series gets a bad rap here because it's not a shiny, extravagant Pro-model saw, which most guys here don't need pro model saws anyways (they just think they do.)

It sounds like the saw is functioning well. The compression could be higher if that's an accurate reading but it will be easy enough for you to pop a new aftermarket piston and rings in it later.

175 is not bad at all. I'd rather have that than a 600 dollar 60cc saw that does the same job only difrence is it didn't hurt the wallet as much and doesn't look as cool to the ass buddies.

You did good

There's three studs that hold the muffler on with three nuts up front. Be careful taking these off- if the studs are older they may break instead of the nut actually coming off (like exhaust systems in any application- the hardware gets crispy.)

Soak the end of the studs/nut area with some liquid wrench or equivalent a couple hours before hand.

Buyers remorse not at all

You did fine, yes a tad high for the price. I know nothing about your region as far as chainsaw usage so I base it on my own area. The muffler has two nuts on the front that hold the deflector and the spark screen and the muffler. When testin compression the trick is to hold the throttle wide open and crank till the gauge stops moving. I would venture to say that you should at least give it a bath and it will look fine. For age mid 90s. If you have oiler putin that much oil out that is a good thing. Can not remember much else about the saw. Put a new 20" bar and chain on it and run a a good non synthetic oil in her @50-1.

I think your compression tester may be off as 120 is low and would probably stall out easily in the cut. That is about average price for a 029-290. As long as the chain is being lubricated the oilier is working properly, friction between moving parts creates heat even with oil if it starts to smoke or turns black or freezes up than you have a problem. The age of a saw is not important, knowing what years the saw was made might be informative but still not important. Muffler should have 2 screws in the two holes in the front of the muffler, torx head #27 if I remember correctly.

#1 selling saw, lots of parts and stihl quality whats not to like.

I think you did fine. If oil is coming off the bar tip it is oiling fine. My 029 heated my house for ten years. They are not super powerful or pro quality but they work just fine for the average guy. Clean it up, make sure you have a sharp chain and run it like you stole it.

Thanks

Thanks so much. My dad has a little echo saw from the 70's I was thinking about researching maybe restoring for him. I'll be back! You guys are useful!

IF it is a 029 Super then it will date between late 97' and mid 00'. You are right they don't make that model anymore but parts are readlily available and the model is very similar (virtually all parts interchange) to the newer MS290/MS310/MS390 saws.

Doesn't the super have a different cylinder and piston? From what I have seen they are noticeably better than the standard 029. Did you only do a couple of pulls, or did you go until it stopped building compression? Sometimes it takes a few pulls. If it starts easily and runs well, it may be better than 120.

I think you did fine. I ran a Super for years, sold it for more than I paid for it, then went out and bought a gently used 039 for $25 more. They're good enough saws for what most of us need them for.

Make certain you blow the crud out of the bar grooves and the oil inlet hole in the bar. Dial up the oiler to max on that 20" bar. You might want to have the bar dressed, and make sure you have a sharp chain. It should be fine.

All them big words in the title bout skeered me from even looking at this thread. HA HA!!

You did real good I run an 029S and I love it. It's got to be my go to saw of late. If we go to the woods it goes along. The are a good work saw for the farm or wood cutting too. I use mine forwhatever we run into. We have bigger and smaller ones but the midsize of the 029s is what sells me on um. Price wise you also did good I have paid more for um cause I know what the'll do. Good luck and saw safe,
Joe

PS- I shot you with some Possum rep. Good post.

From the looks of the pics. that saw has done very little work, looks like a great deal to me !! That is the original bar that came on those.

Pictures of cylinder/rings. Thanks again.

Thanks for all your help. Very kind. Ok, so I got the muffler off and I don't see any grooves or anything. There is some really very faint vertical rubbing I can make out. Probably normal? I can still see all the crosshatching in cylinder. I don't know how to judge rings. Should the top of the piston be completely smooth because I can make out some kind of mark, ding, or pit or something.

View attachment 179355View attachment 179356View attachment 179357View attachment 179358

Last edited:
Looks like you did well on the purchase of that saw. Piston and cylinder look fine, as does the outside of the saw. Take care of it and rest easy knowing that you can always unload it for >90% of the purchase price on eBay if necessary. Or better yet, since its a Stihl, it will last long enough to be handed down to the next generation in your family.

It looks like it was ran a tad rich. You have alot of carbon built up on the exhaust. You did good. These series of saws are known to have fuel lines crack. I would replace it for the $10 it costs to assure you don't lean seize the saw. BTW you did good on that purchase. I run a 20" .325 on mine and it has no problems with it.

Back